Contact us

Most underrated and overrated songs of the year

chokladplopp

Well... as the headline says :p

Too overrated:

:am: I must say, I like the song myself - it's pretty high up in my ranking. But I really don't get the hype and the fact he's favorite to win.

:ie: I've seen too many fancy this one. It's very bland, nothing special at all.

:ro: The chorus is very bad and Paula's high note gives me a headache.

Too underrated:

:fi: The most forgotten song of the year. I love it xheya

:is: I really don't understand the hate against Iceland. It's fun, catchy and has a lovely message. My no. 1 xlove

:sl: Many seem to dislike Slovenia, but I think it's a really beautiful song. I adore it xrose

esc87fan

Overrated
:am: (I have no idea what the bookies see in this song and I don't get the uber-hype over it, vocals are repetitive and there's no need for the dubstep)
:se: (Case in point, the OGAE fanwanking. I'm thrilled Sanna finally made it out of MF, but this song is way on the boring side)
:hu: (Again, I don't see why the bookies are crazy for this as well. The subject matter is a little too much for me to handle)
:ro: (Just because it's Paula and Ovi? Their 2010 song is lightyears better than "Miracle)

Underrated
:sl: (It's a lovely song, a nice balance between English and Slovenian, and I love the flute parts)
:mk: (This has been a grower in the past few weeks, given a good performance it could surprise a lot of people)
:ch: (Sebalter shouldn't be counted out this year, it's a fun, happy song and he's a charmer. Could possibly pull off a Gianluca)

GermanBango

Overrated:

:am: I like this one but there is no chance of winning imho. The structure of the song is too unusual & unappealing. Maybe Top 10, depends on the draw & the staging.

:at: do people really believe that this will even come close to the Top 10? The whole ... appearance of Conchita will scare the average viewer off & they will make fun of it.

:il: I don't get why this is rated so high... it's ok but not really appealing. The whole thing screams "stays in Semi" for me.

Underrated:

:ee: Yes, I love it & I can't understand why this gets so much hate. The song is cool, she's a cute girl, she has a great voice & damn, she got some moves! I don't get the Loreen-comparison ... & the average viewer don't really cares about this. She will place somewhere between 20-12 in the final.

:de: First, this has nothing to do with Germany being my home-country. They are very very very underrated. I believe that they will do better then most of the fan-favorites 'cause I know they will give us a great performance. Back at USFD almost nobody believed that they could win but they did it anyway... why? Because they are f**cking charming and very down do earth :D I have to admit I'm a bit worried about the draw, first half would possibly kill them but I think 2. half could mean something around the 1oth place.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Overrated

:hu:

Their song leaves me incredibly cold and of all the favourites, it's the one i'm hoping doesn't win. A really inappropriate subject matter for the piece of music, overly simplistic lyrics that fail to carry the subject matter well or tastefully. Smacks of desperation to me and doesn't feel sincere.

:ie:

I don't understand the hype surrounding this. It's very "middle of the road" to say the least.

:uk:

Enjoyable enough but nowhere near being one of the best songs of the year. This still feels like a typical BBC Eurovision entry.

:am:

A very solid song but there are better on offer.

Underrated

:is:

Well sung, cool piece of garage pop with a punk flair. Fans don't like it of course but I think it's brilliant.

:de:

I think this is a contender for the win and i'm extremely surprised the hype surrounding it is next to none.

:lv:

The most charming little song of the year by far. Comes across as being extremely authentic.

:ge:

Trippy fusion of Georgian Folk and Jazz. I love it!

:mk:

Tijana is the biggest character of the year. I wasn't sold on her song at first but I recognised the songs high production values straight away.. which is why i'm surprised it's not a fan favourite.

:lt:

Cool slice of 90's RNB. The fierce synths and relentless pace make this an incredibly enjoyable yet intense listen. Also I believe "Attention" has the best production of the year.

:sm:

It's basically a more achingly beautiful version of "Crisalide" but without the tacked on Eurodance section. It saddens me how so many who supported Valentina last year have jumped ship for 2014. The sincerity on display here is overwhelmingly touching. Valentina has bested "Crisalide".

:ru:

I genuinely think Russia's entry is wonderful. With good headphones on the song is an absolute eargasm. The music is very well produced and I love the drive of the song. The beat is fantastic.

Adeline

Overrated:

:se:
This has been done so many times before. It is a very cliché song that leaves me with a 'been there, done that' feeling.

:ie:
Like other users already said: I can't see the appeal. The song is very bland and middle-of-the-road.

:ro:
I think much of the hype has to to with their good score in 2010. However, 'Playing With Fire' was lightyears better than 'Miracle'. I especially hate how there is such a build-up towards the chorus, but then it turns out there is practically none.

Underrated:

:al:
Why do so many people hate this? The Albanian version was better, but this is still one of my favourites this year. I can see why not everybody may like it, but it's absurd why so many people put it near-last on their lists.

:ee:
People keep comparing it to 'Euphoria' and I think that is one of the main reasons why so many people don't like it. I must say that I am not really a fan of this music style. I loved Euphoria, but I wasn't a fan of Germany's and Slovenia's songs last year. This Estonian entry however, I like. The song has a nice melody and a wonderful stage presentation.

Many people treat it like a joke, but this is actually a very catchy and fun song with a positive vibe. It is by far not one of the worst songs this year and should be given more positive acclaim.

:ch:
This is a very charming song that I feel many people overlook. With a good stage performance this might score very well in the final.

I also think Finland, Latvia and Germany are underrated, though not as much as the ones I've listed above.

Mlyn

Banned
I appreciate your sincerity.....

HarryUK

Overrated:
:am: BY A MILE
:se: I love the song but the lyrical atrocity of 'undo my sad' still haunts me despite the change

Underrated
:ee: FOR SURE, such a beautiful woman and the song's so powerful
:de: It's a cute song I must say
:sm: She so deserves to qualify this year

greece

Overrated:
:uk: probably the most overrated song
:ro: not as :uk: but still too overrated
:hu: actually I have start think that it will flop

Underrated:
:sm: she MUST qualify xlove
:md: it's alternative yes but it deserves a great result
:ch: it's Switzerland but I think that after the last year's crime the televoting will help :ch:
:ru: It deserves to be in the top 15 xlove

doctormalisimo

Overrated:
:se: (The uberfan votes have to go somewhere I guess)
:uk: Nice, but a winner? No, of course not
:ro: I guess so...

Underrated:
:ge:
:lv:
:pt: I dont get the hate for this one.

Joyride

xlol those Germans.....

So not true. :p
I LOVE Rise like a phoenix, whereas I can't stand Is it right! ;)

Overrated:

Armenia
Denmark
Sweden
UK

Underrated:

Austria ;)
Malta
Belarus

blein

Overrated :
:sm: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:be:
:ro:
Underrated:
:mk:
:ru:
:at:

FilipFromSweden

Overrated:
:pl:
:no:
:am:

Underrated:
:ee:
:sm:
:es:

chokladplopp

Oh right, forgot - :pl: is way too overrated. What a piece of crap :?

greece

It is funny how all the Swedish (except [MENTION=4544]A-lister[/MENTION] probably) consider :pl: as crap...

chokladplopp

It is funny how all the Swedish (except [MENTION=4544]A-lister[/MENTION] probably) consider :pl: as crap...

Don't take it personally :D I like the actual melody and the beats - but the lyrics makes me want to hide under my bed and come back out when it's all over.

Top Bottom