Contact us

Morocco MOROCCO 2018 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
morocco_640.png

Mii11

Re: MOROCCO 2018

Few years ago I heard that there might be another Morroccan channel joining the EBU. The channel is apparently more liberal, so maybe they could broadcast Israeli performance and thus they would be allowed to take part as well. Does anyone know whether there is any update about this.

BTW I'm really surprised that Egypt has never tried to participate in the Eurovision. Egypt, unlike majority of Arabic-speaking countries, recognises Israel.

NemesisNick

Who creates all the country threads each year? I notice the 2018 country threads were added here about a month before ESC 2017. It's just that whoever is in charge of creating the country threads has always made a Morocco thread for every year for several years now, yet realistically is there any hope of Morocco EVER returning to the Eurovision Song Contest?

Put me out of my misery - are there really any laws making it illegal for Morocco and Israel to participate alongside each other in international competitions (ESC, Olympics, FIFA World Cup, etc), or for Moroccan television channels to screen, for example, Israel's song in the ESC (or likewise a FIFA World Cup match Israel v Morocco during the 4-week summer tournament in say 2018, or Israel participating in a sports event in the Olympics)?

Stiven

Put me out of my misery - are there really any laws making it illegal for Morocco and Israel to participate alongside each other in international competitions (ESC, Olympics, FIFA World Cup, etc), or for Moroccan television channels to screen, for example, Israel's song in the ESC (or likewise a FIFA World Cup match Israel v Morocco during the 4-week summer tournament in say 2018, or Israel participating in a sports event in the Olympics)?
I think you're confusing :ma: with :lb:.
As far as I am aware there is no law in :ma: prohibiting :il: on television.
In fact there was a recent pilgrimage to a rabbi grave in :ma: and it was broadcasted on Moroccan Television.

NemesisNick

I think you're confusing :ma: with :lb:.
As far as I am aware there is no law in :ma: prohibiting :il: on television.
I'm aware of the situation in Lebanon, that was why Lebanon pulled out of ESC 2005 late.

It's just that I've seen rumours online that Morocco can't / won't take part in the ESC if Israel are present. There must surely be other factors involved as to why they haven't participated since 1980. I know Morocco had a poor result in 1980, second last with just 7 points, but plenty of other countries have done badly too on their first ever appearances. For example, Lithuania finished last with nul points on its first appearance in 1994, and was thus relegated from ESC 1995, and thereafter voluntarily stayed away 1996 to 1998, but came back in 1999 and has had top ten placings in 2006 and 2016.

DanielLuis

SNRT has a member in the newly elected TV comittee of the EBU.
Could this signal a possible Morroccan participation in Lisbon? They haven't done their annual denial of participation yet.

GRE

SNRT has a member in the newly elected TV comittee of the EBU.
Could this signal a possible Morroccan participation in Lisbon? They haven't done their annual denial of participation yet.

No.
Because this channel is against Eurovision.
There was a rumor some years ago, about another channel that wanted to be member of EBU,
but I don't know what happened.

Realest

I dont accept Morocco as Part of the Eurovision-Family.

Sammy

Veteran

I guess that - being the circumstances as they are - Morocco will continue to be a one-time-participant for the next years.

Realest

:il: and :au: are already here, just saying...

I also dont accept Australia as a part of the Eurovision-Family. Even if Israel is closely not in Europe, the Country itself is very european.

Realest

But culturally, linguistically and historically :au: is also very European despite the distance

Yes, but at least Israel is nearly Europe and Part of the Uefa. But Australia makes Eurovision turn into worldvision and should stay away.

GRE

These countries have channels that are full members of EBU:
:al::dz::ad::am::at::az::by::be::ba::bg::hr::cy::cz::ee::dk::eg::fi::fr::ge::de::gr::hu::is::ie::il::it:::jo:lv::lb::lt::lu::mk::mt::md::mc::me::ma::nl::no::pl::pt::ro::ru::sm::rs::sk::sl::es::se::ch::tr::tn::ua::uk::va:

Charly

Well if there would be any participation then it would probably be for pure tourism purposes after all Morocco has a major campaign to increase tourists to 20 million by 2020 and this would probably help it a lot

Top Bottom