Compared to you no other [?] thing to brag about
Your lips are hot and sweet, I feel it to my knees
Now I want only one sugar, sugar on my tongue
I need your kisses baby, gotta keep 'em coming
Oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh

Sugar​

Last edited by a moderator:

FilipFromSweden

I honestly don't think there is anything fishy here, in several countries just a couple of thousand votes could've been the difference between 1st and 11th place because I know not a lot of people actually pick up their phone and vote in certain countries.

In 2009 Sweden went from 105 televote points in SF1 to 59 televote points in the final so I'm not sure why this case is fishy when there are several similar ones.

Ianp16

One thing I think we can ALL agree on is that Moldova 2021 has given us all plenty of entertainment factor from the start to finish. I have definitely been entertained by the ridiculous drawn out reveal, the unashamed lip syncing and the drama of the weird points. This Karkaroff guy knows what he’s doing to create attention! Thank god he’s just not good enough to back a winner... Yet.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I just got this notification.

YAC2ttu.png

I'm so touched.

tenor.gif

Congratulations, you'll get a personalised signed card and greatest hits CD from Kirkorov coming in the post. What a blessing.

hijirio

Veteran
Israel falls from 93 televoting points in the semi to 20 in the final, but noone argues about that. It's time to accept that some people really enjoyed with Sugar.
Also Australia 2018 dropped from 82 points in the semi to a miserable 9 in the final, even some countries that gave it 8 in the semi blanked it in the final.

pyryniemi

What makes this case suspicious isn't a drop in total points/placing from semi to final, but placings in different countries.
Here's how each SF2 televoting country ranked Moldova in the semi, and then in the final:

:cz: 1st -> 1st
:pt: 1st -> 3rd
:fr: 1st -> 4th
:sm: 1st -> 5th
:lv: 1st -> 11th
:ee: 1st -> 19th
:gr: 1st -> 21st
:rs: 1st -> 22nd
:pl: 4th -> 21st
:is: 5th -> 23rd
:at: 5th -> 24th
:fi: 6th -> 9th
:es: 8th -> 19th
:uk: 11th -> 20th
:ch: 11th -> 23rd
:dk: 13th -> 24th
:al: 16th -> 4th
:ge: 16th -> 9th
:bg: 16th -> 15th

Jopi

Wasn't the fan of the song in the first place, but damn everything was really bad. Both her semi final and final performance. The poor singing, the clumsy mic drop, the 'note'... The performance overall was underwhelming, nothing to grabs you. And then the voting part is just disgusting, and the way it was so obvious. No words literally. Shame on you Kirkorov!!! Yikes.

Sammy

Veteran
What makes this case suspicious isn't a drop in total points/placing from semi to final, but placings in different countries.
Here's how each SF2 televoting country ranked Moldova in the semi, and then in the final:

:cz: 1st -> 1st
:pt: 1st -> 3rd
:fr: 1st -> 4th
:sm: 1st -> 5th
:lv: 1st -> 11th
:ee: 1st -> 19th
:gr: 1st -> 21st
:rs: 1st -> 22nd
:pl: 4th -> 21st
:is: 5th -> 23rd
:at: 5th -> 24th
:fi: 6th -> 9th
:es: 8th -> 19th
:uk: 11th -> 20th
:ch: 11th -> 23rd
:dk: 13th -> 24th
:al: 16th -> 4th
:ge: 16th -> 9th
:bg: 16th -> 15th
If you consider, that you have 16 countries in the final that are not in the semi (and among them a lot of strong ones) and take into account that the audience in each country may differ quite a lot between semi and final significant drops can be expected. Not saying that this is the only explanation, but still... People may also have changed their minds because of discussions about the acts inbetween, others may have shifted their votes more towards one or two of their favorites as the race was so tight in the final whereas the favorites qualified easily in the semi. Moldowa may have lost its appeal for others because the sugar was consumed in the semi leaving a shallow taste of it in the final (like a chewing gum does after a couple of minutes). And yes - maybe Kirkorow also bought votes.

ESC94

If you consider, that you have 16 countries in the final that are not in the semi (and among them a lot of strong ones) and take into account that the audience in each country may differ quite a lot between semi and final significant drops can be expected. Not saying that this is the only explanation, but still... People may also have changed their minds because of discussions about the acts inbetween, others may have shifted their votes more towards one or two of their favorites as the race was so tight in the final whereas the favorites qualified easily in the semi. Moldowa may have lost its appeal for others because the sugar was consumed in the semi leaving a shallow taste of it in the final (like a chewing gum does after a couple of minutes). And yes - maybe Kirkorow also bought votes.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh in the evening. xrollinglol

musicfan

I enjoyed the live on tape recording, though the staging was still minimal. As with the preparty performance she doesn't go for any gimmicks, she just presents it for the good song it is. The long note was never necessary, but in light of things such as the Israel whistle notes I suppose her team felt they needed extra stuff to make people talk. They were wrong though as good music can stand well enough on its own. Weaker songs like the Russian song need some gimmick.

A-lister

Veteran
I enjoyed the live on tape recording, though the staging was still minimal. As with the preparty performance she doesn't go for any gimmicks, she just presents it for the good song it is. The long note was never necessary, but in light of things such as the Israel whistle notes I suppose her team felt they needed extra stuff to make people talk. They were wrong though as good music can stand well enough on its own. Weaker songs like the Russian song need some gimmick.

Russian song weaker than Moldovan? :lol:

musicfan

Russian song weaker than Moldovan? :lol:
I know the struggles she had with people, and no doubt there's a good message to the song. But it's in two parts that don't even fit that well. One part rap which doesn't sound great (the Finns rapped better), and then a folk melody which while catchy is repeated a lot and does sound like other Russian tunes. She depended on the gimmick of that dress like Toy had with that Kimono stuff. And having faces on the screen was unoriginal too. Maybe the message took over so much the music became secondary.

A-lister

Veteran
I know the struggles she had with people, and no doubt there's a good message to the song. But it's in two parts that don't even fit that well. One part rap which doesn't sound great (the Finns rapped better), and then a folk melody which while catchy is repeated a lot and does sound like other Russian tunes. She depended on the gimmick of that dress like Toy had with that Kimono stuff. And having faces on the screen was unoriginal too. Maybe the message took over so much the music became secondary.

I can't speak for others, but for me the Russian song was the best in 2021, message and stage gimmicks aside.

I mean taste differs, but I don't see how a bland Kirkorov reductive blend of "Shady Lady" and "Siren Song" (but much much weaker than both) can be considered a higher quality song, but again taste differs of course so no shade just curiousity.

NeoTen

Well, her live-on-tape was vocally way better. Still, for a choir girl, a TV, and Eurovision veteran, it's quite telling she chose to not sing her long note at the end. That ending pose still gets me though. The guys easily could be nightclub bouncers or hitmen the way they look at you in sunglasses. It's just very in your face. Can somebody pass me Kirkorov's number? The guy must be doing good. Kirkorov could even get the UK top 5 I reckon.

Top Bottom