Your lips are hot and sweet, I feel it to my knees
Now I want only one sugar, sugar on my tongue
I need your kisses baby, gotta keep 'em coming
Oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh

Sugar​

Last edited by a moderator:

Loindici

Veteran
It sounds like the kind of song that a queen from RuPaul's Drag Race would release the week they got booted off the show.

It's Tia Kofi, but with 2 kilos of sugar.

mauve

Veteran
I belonged to the minority who really like "Prison" last year. But "Sugar" is such a letdown. Not memorable for me at all, and the video is kind of cheap. I had high expectation and fell low. The best though was the event for me. Well, not the presentation, but the comments here in this thread that put my laugh muscles to work. Thank you to all who participated! :)

Euterpa

I listened to this song last night, some time before going to sleep. I'm a night bird. What I do at those night hours, sticks with me the most. That being said, today I don't remember anything from that song. I did remember that instrumental hook that they put where normally a chorus should be - early in the morning, but now it's just gone.

Speaking of that, where IS the chorus? Does this song have a chorus? It has verses and pre-choruses, but a chorus is nowhere to be found. Why would you make a pre-chorus if there is no chorus? Then bridge...I don't remember what she was saying but I remember she was practically talking and I can't see that sounding/looking good live.

I also feel like it's too cutesy and...sugary...while trying to be sexy and confident and as a result, I can't take it seriously. I don't think this is the right song for Natalia.

Ianp16

I listened to this song last night, some time before going to sleep. I'm a night bird. What I do at those night hours, sticks with me the most. That being said, today I don't remember anything from that song. I did remember that instrumental hook that they put where normally a chorus should be - early in the morning, but now it's just gone.

Same. I watched it a couple of times last night and can't deny I love it. But all I can remember is the trumpet dance breakdown bit and her singing sweetly, 'Give me some... Sugar,' or something. I suppose Eleni's Fuego doesn't really have a chorus as such... Maybe they're going down that route.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
To all those people criticizing the structure and composition of the song.... we need DIVERSITY in this contest, not all songs must have a proper chorus to be enjoyable for a lot of people.

This song is all about the HOT drop and just the sexy mood it has. I can't compare this to any other ESC entries, because we never get music like this in the contest, while a lot of the other songs this year (and 75% of all entries the last 5 years) have been very predictable, heard before in the ESC and have just been very basic/mainstream.

Just my opinion.

Go Moldova xheart

Last edited:

Euterpa

Same. I watched it a couple of times last night and can't deny I love it. But all I can remember is the trumpet dance breakdown bit and her singing sweetly, 'Give me some... Sugar,' or something. I suppose Eleni's Fuego doesn't really have a chorus as such... Maybe they're going down that route.

Yeah...and I must admit it's actually confusing to me that a song that is aiming for a strong beat and a strong hook somehow fails to be memorable.

Eleni's chorus was "Cause I'm way up and I ain't coming down...", imo. After making that assumption, I checked the lyrics online and Genius does have that part as the song's chorus while it classifies that repeating of the word fuego as a "drop". It was a bit unusual chorus, with more silent instrumental background, but it was there.

Euterpa

To all those people criticizing the structure and composition of the song.... we need DIVERSITY in this contest, not all songs must have a proper chorus to be enjoyable for a lot of people.

This song is all about the HOT drop and just the sexy mood it has. I can't compare this to any other ESC entries, because we never get music like this in the contest, while a lot of the other songs this year (and 75% of all entries the last 5 years) have been very predictable, heard before in the ESC and have just been very basic/mainstream.

Just my opinion.

Go Moldova xheart

I don't know, the lack of chorus sounds like a very uncreative try of diversity to me.

The lack of chorus/different structure isn't a problem of the song, it's how the lack of chorus works with the rest of the song, and how the structure of the song works as a whole. Imo, a pre-chorus that doesn't lead to any chorus makes no sense. If there is no chorus, there should be no pre-chorus. Make it verse - drop - verse - drop - bridge - drop, something like that. But making a pre-chorus without a chorus is like drinking something as an appetizer, but not preparing nor eating any meal. I mean...you can do it, but it's not quite good to do it. :D

A different and unique song still has to be good. It can't get a pass *just* because it's different. Although I must admit I don't see what is so special and different in this entry.

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I think I’ve heard enough (aprox. 25347 times) and it’s pretty safe to assume this is the eurovision bop of the season. I freaking love it and this is exactly why I love eurovision. Quirky pop of doubtful quality sang by a Queen accompanied by topless men.

I’m giving it an :8: and I’m downgrading Albina. She just cannot handle Natalia’s sugar.

marty

It is fun watching the video but I dont know the song itself is somehow strange. I guess they will put a great show on stage, this could be a top 10 song. I give 6 points.

Loindici

Veteran
Maybe your taste needs DIVERSITY because :de: and :md: are...

This fits with this thread so well, thank you for showing us this precious treasure.

crashworld

Veteran
Maybe your taste needs DIVERSITY because :de: and :md: are...

If embracing those 2 songs means being diverse then no thanks. I'm just as basic as they come and I'm proud of it. But hey, different strokes for different folks. #nobadfeelings

Top Bottom