20 10.8%

14 7.6%

12 6.5%

13 7.0%

39 21.1%

• Total voters

A-lister

Veteran
I don't think people are changing their minds now because it's trendy, they're just changing their minds because they literally watched the performance for the first time yesterday and liked it.

I mean, yes seeing the performances does have some impact, but if you're a Eurovision fan and you've heard these entries plenty of more times than the general public, it's shallow to say that a song you ranked bottom suddenly is ranked in your top. I mean I have no problem admitting if a performance of a song I dislike was good, but that's not the same thing as suddenly praising the song itself.

midnightsun

Veteran
I find it funny how people completely change their minds and jump on bandwagons though...

I know what you mean. I agree to a certain extend, but we have to keep in mind that a lot of people watch it for the very first time. And users on the forum probably never listened properly to the whole songs since many skipped it from the beginning with "nah, not my cup of tea". They saw the brilliant performance for the very first time yesterday and suddenly it had an impact.

I have to admit, it's the same with me and Slovenia. Listened to the song a few times after it got released, then never again and I was flashed yesterday by the great performance in combination with the sound. It all has to go together - visually and musically. Now I really like Slovenia. Not as much as it would need to get in my top 5 but still... love it.

A-lister

Veteran
I know what you mean. I agree to a certain extend, but we have to keep in mind that a lot of people watch it for the very first time. And users on the forum probably never listened properly to the whole songs since many skipped it from the beginning with "nah, not my cup of tea". They saw the brilliant performance for the very first time yesterday and suddenly it had an impact.

I have to admit, it's the same with me and Slovenia. Listened to the song a few times after it got released, then never again and I was flashed yesterday by the great performance in combination with the sound. It all has to go together - visually and musically. Now I really like Slovenia. Not as much as it would need to get in my top 5 but still... love it.

I could agree for casual listeners, but to spend time on an ESC forum makes you part of the community so most people in here are certainly more invested than some casual listener is, so it's just a bit funny to see these sharp changes in opinions. But hey, if people randomly start to like what I like I guess it's all for the better :lol:

AlekS

Veteran
It has reminded me of some poorly-staged (likely poorly financed) operettas/musicals in our city's musical theatre.
Exactly my thought. But this is what put me off. I like the idea though.

So what? It's not like they just had the wall in the background, it was actually used as an active prop and there was a purpose with it xshrug It was pretty theatrical and fun, like a play of some sort, we might have seen walls in performances in the past, but the concept of this performance was something new. We get it you don't like Kirkorov, I detest the guy aswell, but I have no problem praising where it's deserved xshrug The Moldovan act shouldn't be held accountable or hostages just because Kirkorov produced this.
Yes it was theatrical, yes I don't like Kirkorov but I also don't like the song and the props. The song sounds like it was made for Kirkorov, the dancing/performing is great but they didn't deserve those 3 public toilet doors! It's not just me, my friends & parents said the same thing.

Kirkorov produced the song and he probably had a say in the overall concept even if he might not be the one doing the actually staging.
Everything's like you said. He's got a final word and he approaches the broadcaster/performer while having the main ideas already. At least this is how it was with us.

But yeah, I find it far-stretched to call this a copycat.
Nobody called this a copycat however it doesn't look like a new conception to me (which is also not a bad thing at all :lol: ).

Chorizo

I just watched the press conference. Kirkorov is really fishing for the available diaspora vote. lol

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
The performance was great and incredibly entertaining. It would have been even better had they had a more turn of the century/vaudeville aesthetic to it, but what can you do. Not a big fan of the song though, and that's what I ultimately go by, so it's still going to have to be a low pointer for me.

Milos-BC

It's trashy but also very fun and the staging was awesome :D One of the most entertaining performances for sure. I think they can repeat a top 10 result in this case.

grazy2266

I thought the performance last night was fun and energetic, the crowd liked it.

Gordon_Shumway

Ha ha, and a moron like me thought this was a song contest. How could I be so stupid, forgive me.
Moldova must win: No other country opens so many little doors in such short time.

theditz83

Veteran
I got so confused with the bit when there were 2 set's of women's legs with heels behind the wall with the female singer put in front, as I knew there couldn't possibly be 3 women on stage due to the max 6 performers rule.

Then I noticed the dancer in the red suit was wearing no socks, and it all became clear - he's the 3rd set of "female legs" :lol:

Still makes me smile, it's silly, fun and very well put together! This will win a lot of fans who just want a good show without too much deep meaning ;)

A-lister

Veteran
xclap to a well deserved top. 10 position :md: xcheer

I for one thought it deserved a bit better, but I'm happily and surprised to see that the juries didn't totally kill this. It was without a doubt one of the best and well-thought-thru performances of this year's Eurovision 2018, they proved that if you just have the right concept and ideas and you think of the whole package that fits the entry and sells it to the audience, you don't need to spend millions, it's all about the execution. The song, yes I know it's a throwback to mid 00's Eurovision, but will remain a little guilty pleasure gem from this year's Eurovision, I think it was better than last year for instance.

Moldova found a good concept the last two years now with catchy songs and then making it WORK on stage which I think is the main reason they did fairly good now where other countries flopped with sometimes better songs but they just sold it wrongly to the audience.

Brandt

I wonder one thing though. Are there more than 6 people on the stage? Cos it takes +2 at least.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Cool staging, awful, trash and dated song. But happy it squeaked into the top 10, as it made me some nice profit.

Top Bottom