17 12.1%

16 11.4%

9 6.4%

8 5.7%

7 5.0%

21 15.0%

• Total voters

musicfan

Only above Estonia in the semi, and third worst score out of both semis. But still one of the better songs and vocals.

tuorem

Time for me to review the Moldovan entry this year :D

Lidia Isac - Falling Stars

Song: Moldova has had a period when they always qualified because they deserved it most of the time. However, it seems like the magic has faded away in recent years and I can understand why: the quality of their songs isn't what it once was. Moldovans decided that "Falling Stars" should be sent to Stockholm this year. This is a Swedish import, a detail that I must highlight because it definitely sounds like your average euro-pop Eurovision entry. Zero originality, zero personality and no twist whatsoever to keep the listener (or at least me) interested until the end. I enjoy it for what it is though, the melody is quite pretty and it's rather catchy but there is nothing in it I haven't heard before (and that is not a good thing to me). The arrangements are really dated and remind me of early 00's, nothing wrong per se but you know what I mean, I think they actually undermined the potential of the song: a stripped down version would have been better. As for the lyrics, nothing new under the sun either, the word "star" should be banned for a few years I guess :lol: And I agree, the French lyrics would have made it more special. The first verse reminds me of some recent song from Sia, I'm not sure why.

Voice: Lidia Isac did the job during the semi. She's not a very good singer, but I got the feeling she actually tried her best that night, she didn't avoid the high notes Amir-style. :mrgreen: By the way, I feel like she sings the verses in a peculiar way, she gives her voice lots of effects, but that's good, at least it's not flat.

Staging: One couldn't expect a stellar staging for a song about stars (see what I did there? :D). Seriously, staging was fine, just a little bit basic compared with the rest: the stage was obviously bathed in blue and white lights while the backdrops were displaying flashing lines and shapes of the same colours. Then came an astronaut who took his helmet off and started dancing near Lidia. Some people wondered why would they bring such a tacky gimmick on stage... Well, Lidia herself gave the answer during an interview, she said that it was an appropriate addition to her staging because this year Moldova apparently celebrated their contribution to the proper functioning of the International Space Station as they produce special food for people who work there. :) With that being said, I liked that guy tbh (and we've seen way crazier things in the contest tbh). But I admit no one could have guessed it was referring to an event happening in Moldova. Lidia wore a short black dress with blue reflective facets, it was nice imo.

Outcome: Moldova eventually failed to qualify for the third time in a row, which was sad but expected and understandable. As much as I enjoyed the whole performance and thought it was more than decent (I mean, it's a huge improvement compared with "I Want Your Love" that almost qualified :?), I knew this was a definite non-qualifier, and the starting position didn't help either. To sum up, I found it enjoyable and decent, but there were much better songs on offer in the semi and neither the song nor the stage were memorable enough to even make Moldova a borderline qualifier, I wouldn't have been mad had they qualified though. "Falling Stars" is 26th place out of 42 in my personal ranking because it is formulaic, I don't skip it when it plays, but that's all. I know it must be currently difficult for Moldova to come up with a solid entry and good artist, they got me in the past (thank you for "Lautar", "O Mie", "Hora Din Moldova", "Wild Soul" and "Run Away" xheart) so I believe they can do it again, I have faith in them. Hopefully, you won't withdraw next year and qualify again guys. :)

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Voice: Lidia Isac did the job during the semi. She's not a very good singer, but I got the feeling she actually tried her best that night, she didn't avoid the high notes Amir-style. :mrgreen: By the way, I feel like she sings the verses in a peculiar way, she gives her voice lots of effects, but that's good, at least it's not flat.

tuorem

[MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION] I watched that video some time ago, and I like that one better both lyrically and musically. Regarding her vocal abilities, they may be good in this one but they're not steady when it comes to singing the original version. Actually, it was a no brainer :lol: she should have gone for that version after winning her NF.

Top Bottom