Contact us

Memories and Rankings from Moscow

Mannone

Zdravstvujtye!

In this thread you may post your overall impression of this edition, and you may rank your favourites or unbearables.

The warm and gentle breeze from Belgrade finally reached Moscow. Rybak earned his famous landslide, but I will remember another diverse year with many legendary entries, and of course also with plenty of unimaginative, half-hearted attempts. A true rollercoaster edition, and so completely to my appreciation. Here are my favourites:

1. :no: - Alexander Rybak - Fairytale

And I don't even like the guy this much. I would have really wanted anyone else to perform this masterpiece. Rybak is the prototype of a smarmy type, ingratiatingly behaving as the stray poor wretch. Still, I don't know the guy, but I can nothing but zap when the "phenomena Rybak" (nota bene: not the person) is shown on television. And we have all been weary of "Fairytale" for some years now, but when I hear this one more time today, one more time with a mind as open as possible, I can feel the shivers all through again. The harmony speaks for itself and the title smells perfection. This is a saga.

2. :rs: - Marko Kon & Milan Nikolić - Cipela

The all time boss of Eurovision, the somehow tender pimp himself, boarded the scene and hasn't left since. Yeah ok, I'll take it easy with extremes, but Marko's voice is pure magic. I remember one time when I woke up in the middle of the night, in a sweat ice cold, and the first thing that struck my mind was Marko's line: SPATZIBA BOLSJOJ, MOSKVA!!! I mean, such a delirium, but I've kept repeating these words ever since so they're like amen to me. Anyway, this was the only song I could still enjoy the first two weeks after the contest. That rolling beat is simply exciting. Add the manliest of vocal cords and you get nothing but a very successful pick-up story. Amazing!

3. :ba: - Regina - Bistra Voda

Masculine and ceremonial, count me in! Not really comparable to Cipela, they play in different leagues. Nonetheless, both of them occupy very high esteem in my Notepad (++ version 5.6.8) document, i.e. my heart.

4. :md: - Nelly Ciobanu - Hora Din Moldova

Haha! This one still lingers on my workout mixtape. I love the pace and it always cheers me up. He heey! He heey!

5. :ee: - Urban Symphony - Rändajad

I will treat this one with solid respect, and it's definitely not comparable to "Hora Dina Moldova". Most people love it to some degree, a dozen really idolize it. I'm more the lover at a safe distance. There is something truly dark and fatal approaching here. Impossible to deny that. However, for me something is left to be desired. Not on my top shelf, but not far from.

6. :be: - Copycat - Copycat

This one was looked over, and I can see why. Very original when it comes to ESC. However, I think it's both catchy and versatile. The drum solo is a perfect element and his voice is very similar to... the copycat himself. Actually, if I've heard this detached from its context, I could definitely have mistaken it for something of the King.

7. :pt: - Flor-de-lis - Todas As Ruas Do Amor

Very emotional and catchy. Just a little weak overall for my taste. Just like Portugal in a nutshell. Fine anyway!

I can also bang along for a while when I hear :ie: ("Et Cetera"), :me: ("Just Get Out Of My Life"), and :ro: ("The Balkan Girls").

And the eagerly awaited gutter squad. This time in full strength with plenty of subs:

42. :de: - Alex Swings Oscar Sings! - Miss Kiss Kiss Bang - Monotonous, empty and immature.
41. :hu: - Zoli Adok - Dance With Me - Bland, bland, bland, blaha.
40. :nl: - De Toppers - Shine - Bland, bland, bland, sigh.
39. :lv: - Intars Busulis - Probka - Bland, bland, bland, ouch.
38. :ua: - Svetlana Loboda - Be My Valentine (Anti-crisis Girl) - Pushy and just too much.
37. :bg: - Krasimir Avramov - Illusion - Strange and unintelligible.
36. :cz: - Gipzy.cz - Aven Romale - Not so much talent about it.
35. :tr: - Hadise - Dum Tek Tek - Come on! Just wont wash!

SPATZIBA BOLSJOJ, MOSKVA!

LalehForWD

I can't say I've reached the later phase of your Fairytale experience. My ZAP instinct is just too strong. I know it's not fair and an insult to our dear N's but still ... :D

edit:
Oh, I just wanted to add: Great reviews! Keep on the good work.

Mannone

I can't say I've reached the later phase of your Fairytale experience. My ZAP instinct is just too strong. I know it's not fair and an insult to our dear N's but still ... :D

edit:
Oh, I just wanted to add: Great reviews! Keep on the good work.

Thanks Laleh! =)

Hehe, hard not to get a very basic zap instinct when it comes to Rybak. But for me the song is just standing by itself. The chord progression has it's own embrace, without singer and without lyrics. And well, he is the composer so I can't deny his talent. I choose simply to avoid the "phenomena" - everything about the Rybak-costume that we have hitherto been presented.

greece

Probably the best song was definately :az: "Always"....

I just like :no:,:tr:,:ru:,:ad:,:es:,:al:,:sk: in random order

anto475

What were those things on the sides of the stage, they looked like tables?

Top Bottom