І аm whаt І аm
Веndіng bасkwаrdѕ trуіng tо fіt іn
І’ll mаkе thеm undеrѕtаnd, уеаh
Таkе іt оr lеаvе іt
І аm whаt І аm…​

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
If you're gonna change your song then go for what you've done best and give us Sangria, not some discount Mamas MF reject. Actually this leaves an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth, as people voted for that other song, it's what shes submitted initially and it feels somewhat dirty to then go and retract all that. Even if the rules said that was a possibility, it doesn't mean it's ok at all. Malta has really been giving Bulgaria levels of desperation lately when it comes to jury baiting and wanting to win. It's actually kinda off putting and it seems even more clear now that this entire NF was probably a sham and 100% Ira Losco'ed, but for Emma Muscat.

Onto the song, it's not bad. I don't think it particularly matches her though. It's a gospel type song with some soul, and she really doesn't give off that energy at all. Obviously it's gonna land Malta a lovely little jury score, but televote probably less so. I think i probably do prefer it to the other song though if i'm gonna be honest, the other wasn't really giving much at all. This is massively stand out in any way, but I do think it is better tbh. I'll keep my score of :6:

ChiversLookDivine

I can comfortably give this song last place, simply put it sounds like a UK entry. The bar to get over is to be better than Bigger Than Us, and it doesn't even meet that basic requirement.

Out Of Sight was better.

Zerocalcare

I hate to say it, cuz I was and still am strongly against a song change like this. But: I like this one much more than „out of sight“
I agree with you, Sammy. The song is technically valid. Plus Emma didn't break any rules. Here we are aware of the special rules such as the revamp (general rule), the winner's refusal to go to Eurovision (Sanremo) and in this case the song change (MESC). Fierce criticism of Malta for me translates into one word: fear. "Out of Sight" was a potential NQ while Malta now complicates the second semi-final which will be hard fought. Nobody is mathematically sure of the qualification. Unpopular Opinion: "I Am What I Am" is most likely a grower!

crashworld

Veteran
To be honest, I'm not pressed that she changed song because if anything she didn't break the rules and the NF did not say that they can't change the song.

The only issue is the new song is just a different shade of beige which makes the change even more unnecessary.

But let's face it, Emma won the NF for who she is (ie. her popularity). It was never "Out of Taste Sight" doing.

aef

From generic meh to even more generic meh… :4: points (and I’m quite friendly today)

VirginiaVision

This is a massive disappointment for me. "Out of Sight" wasn't a winner by any means, but I feel like it has a sort of 'spark' that "I Am What I Am" is missing. Maybe I'm missing the orchestral instruments?

I don't know if this next part will make any sense, but I feel like this belongs in the American Song Contest. It feels like it should be coming from an unknown, homegrown singer getting their big break in a brand new contest.

Etanna

It's better than Out of Sight which was extremely forgettable but I'm afraid I don't like this song either. It's annoyingly cheesy and artificial. I can't help laughing at how the people in the videoclip are so painfully forcing themselves (and failing) to look like they are having fun... to the sound of a song whose message is to be yourself.

theditz83

Veteran
Okay so what just happened - while the rest of Europe was focused on the closing stages of this NF season, little Emma from Malta was like "erm, hello, I've changed my song xwave "

And let's say that this is an improvement on the previous one, which had all kinds of horrible X-Factor winner vibes for me every time I heard it... It was just a very dated and clichéd performance...

But, and this is where things get murky for me, we now have this new song which - forgive my UK brain which has been brainwashed by the BBC over DECADES to get on board with this exact kind of positive, empowering, breezy pop - is nice, and kinda makes me smile, but also makes me want to hurl a brick at my screen. 🙄

It's just all so forced, and all so calculated - I could just tell when the bad actors started gathering randomly behind her piano that we were heading for the obligatory "instrument drop-out, drumbeat only clap-along crowd participation" moment, and it hurts to see a singer who is quite clearly very talented having to perform in such a contrived and calculated way. I don't know anything about the song - Emma may have written it herself - but this message has been done to DEATH at Eurovision and beyond and I'm frankly over it especially when it comes pre-packaged in such a generic and saccharine form as what we see here.

Sorry :mt: it's a :3: for effort and vocal/piano abilities, but I won't be throwing any strong support your way this year sadly (RIP Destiny) :(

Sammy

Veteran
My husband overheard it, when I listened to it, came into the room and said: "What a dull song. What's the second verse: you are what you are?" So Malta, if you wanna exchange that one more time,... :mrgreen:

FilipFromSweden

much much better

ive also seen a lot of butthurt people saying the first song was better etc ... you have got to be kitten me. Her first song was a sure NQ and due to artistic integrity I don’t think she should do a song she wasn’t feeling

Mainshow

Veteran
much much better

ive also seen a lot of butthurt people saying the first song was better etc ... you have got to be kitten me. Her first song was a sure NQ and due to artistic integrity I don’t think she should do a song she wasn’t feeling

You know that she also wrote "Out of Sight" herself - I don´t think that her "artistic integrity" got harmed because of a song she wrote herself and decided to submit to a national final.
Actually, I think it´s quite the contrary. She gave up on her "artistc integrity" because she wanted to change the song after noticing that the song she wrote herself and won the national final got a lukewarm to negative response from fans and bookies alike.

I agree with you that "Out of Sight" would have been a sure NQ, though.

Last edited:

Kitakaze

Knowing it was always a possibility, is the fact she changed the song really still such a big deal? It’s not like any of us voted in the national final and it’s not as if the Maltese people who did vote for Out of Sight would be able to vote for it in May anyway or are necessarily hurt over it. It’s a contest and she simply wants to put her best foot forward with something else, what’s the big deal? While it might not have elevated Malta’s chances in some peoples’ minds, at least IAWIA lends itself to more impactful and memorable 3 minutes on stage.

Yazy

I´m giving a new song :2: points.

It has a more polished production than the older song.

Unfortunately, that´s the only compliment I can give.

It doesn´t hit a nerve in any way to make me dislike it, but nothing about the song (verses, chorus, arrangement) does anything for me.

Top Bottom