І аm whаt І аm
І аm whаt І аm
Веndіng bасkwаrdѕ trуіng tо fіt іn
І’ll mаkе thеm undеrѕtаnd, уеаh
Таkе іt оr lеаvе іt
І аm whаt І аm…​

HayashiM

Veteran
The new song is an upgrade for me and I have no doubts Emma would have still won the selection with it, so I am ok with the change. It feels more memorable because of the hook - in my opion Malta's chances have improved, though I still see them rather struggling to reach the finals.
I need more replays to fully make up my mind, for now it's a :6:.

A-lister

Veteran
Why did they change the song? I get it if the first one somehow broke the rules, but then the runner-up Ritmu should got the chance to represent Malta instead of a new song (the solution we saw in Ukraine this year). Also, Ritmu generally would have been a better choice, especially in this year, maybe it would have needed a bit of a revamp but still.

I think changing the song shows just disrespect to the Maltese public, then they could have stuck with their reality show concept of choosing their entrant, what's the point in an NF when the Maltese organizers won't even respect it?

After last year's spending on adds etc, I thought they learned something, but the team seems still shady.

Betwixt Tales

The new song is perhaps a bit more generic, but it's a step up for me. My least favorite kind of music is R&B ala Mariah Carey, which is what Emma's previous song reminded me of. So this new song is a big improvement for me.

That said: I will never understand this thing of exchanging the song you won with, for something people didn't actually vote for. It seems dishonest in a way. If the people voted for her previous song, it was because they wanted that song. If Emma had participated with this new song, who's to say if she would have won?

I'm glad we don't do this in Denmark. I would be really mad if the song I had voted for, was scrapped for something I might not even have voted for if it participated in the NF. It's just not a cool thing to do.

EscGeek

Veteran
Oh, boy, that piano angle looks familiar...

Anyways, the rule that a song change is possible was there from the get go and contestants agreed. But it's a sucky rule.

This is not an upgrade, Emma should've been fishing for songs in Italy and we could have had some Elodie reject for example or Elettra Lamborghini reject xheat.

:10: pts again

crashworld

Veteran
I'm pretty shocked at myself but I actually enjoy the new song quite a lot. Upgrading from :0: to :7: and 38th (last) to 17th place in my ranking.
200.gif

You mean the new song managed to beat 21 other songs? I know this year's contest is as beige and mediocre as it is, but to say 21 other songs are worse off than Emma's one sounds a wee bit "amusing" (to put it nicely).

EscGeek

Veteran
200.gif

You mean the new song managed to beat 21 other songs? I know this year's contest is as beige and mediocre as it is, but to say 21 other songs are worse off than Emma's one sounds a wee bit "amusing" (to put it nicely).

When someone upgrades a song after a revamp by a double digit number, i also find it strange as i rarely do that myself.

But I.M. for example went from 35th to 15th on my list. This a miracle! xyaaayxdance2

hijirio

Veteran
I don't know why but the chorus reminds me of

midnightsun

Veteran
Out of sight: 2 points
I am what I am: originally also 2 points, minus 2 for changing the song, makes zero.
This exactly! I was about to write the same. :ROFLMAO: It’s basically any 90s boyband‘s song.
The only positive about this is I don’t need to change my ranking which I just finished some hours before.

empo21

Veteran
I'd be upset if I liked Out of Sight (i didn't even get to vote in the poll), but I'm also indifferent towards both entries.

I think its best shot is to perform 1st in the semi (kind of a X My Heart type of opener), otherwise getting sandwiched between two entries is not ideal. It will be among :rs: :fi: :cy: :il: :sm: :ge: so it'll either die out or the viewers might find some beige-ness refreshing *shrug* but there's also :au: competing for that as well

Zerocalcare

Bold prediction. Malta will win the Eurovision Song Contest surprising all of Europe. After the cancellation of the "Barbara Dex Award", "Emma Muscat Awards" will be created for epic victories 🙀

Top Bottom