І аm whаt І аm
І аm whаt І аm
Веndіng bасkwаrdѕ trуіng tо fіt іn
І’ll mаkе thеm undеrѕtаnd, уеаh
Таkе іt оr lеаvе іt
І аm whаt І аm…​

Mainshow

Veteran
I can only speak for myself but having had Aiden as my favourite is not the reason why I heavily dislike the new Maltese song.
Actually, I ranked Aiden :8: and Emma´s "Out of Sight" :6: - I also said that I think that none of these songs would survive a semi anyway and thus, I was hoping for Emma to change her entry since "Out of Sight" was chanceless.
However, I have always said that Emma sings her song perfectly and that she´s a beautiful and charming performer.

I actually can see "I Am What I Am" qualify (with a lot of luck and a great performance) but they have to heavily rely on the juries again because I agree with other posters saying that it sounds like a "Mamas reject" or something "BBC would send and receive nil points in the televoting".

Personally, I think that "Out of Sight" is an uneventful, beige and bland entry without any highlights but it was at least, nicely written track and had some substance (making us of metaphors, images, actually telling a story) - Sonically, "I Am What I Am" is more memorable, catchy and instant and it does that gospel-ish gimmerick which might result into some jury votes but apart from it´s core message (Take me as I am/Self-empowerment/self-confidence), the song doesn´t have any lyrical content to offer. It´s simply formulaic and very basic in each and every department.

That said, "being basic" doesn´t have to be a bad thing for Eurovision or consumption of music since it´s a subjective matter in the end and we all do have some guilty pleasures but lyrically, it´s very inferior to "Out of Sight".

Last edited:

popavapeur

As if Out Of Sight was ever going to make it out of the semi. :rolleyes:
Wouldn't be the first time we see the jury liking Malta for no reason

3rd with the juries in 2021 / 14th in the televote
10th in 2019 / 22nd
4th in 2016 / 21st

Sure it can NQ but I'm not so sure about it specially in a year like 2022 where "everybody has its chances"

crashworld

Veteran
No, we are actually in the majority - just read elsewhere on the web (Reddit, twitter) as well. It's just the usual bunch of drama-queens who are having a hissy-fit (wiwi-members style) for the sake of it.

The thing is Reddit, people may not be saying truthfully for the fear of being downvoted. Some may even refrain from posting anything negative because some of them are very aggressive when defending their favourites.

crashworld

Veteran
I think a lot of people here and out are angry just that they preferred Aidan's song. The bad comments come from this idea, that Aidan was much better as a proposal for Eurovision. Consequently "Out of Sight" is ok but nothing special, while "I Am What I Am" becomes "noooo this is worse, the other song was better!"
you have to listen to the songs with clean ears, without having preconceptions and think "Ah there was Aidan, so this song by Emma regardless it suc*s".

Aidan will not be there this year, you have to understand immediately, perhaps from February there was a need to get over it. Many of my favorite songs / singers haven't won their selections but I value what's on the square. I don't think about who is not there or who finished second or third in the national selection.

The MESC rules provided for the change of song, the problem does not exist for them. The singers in the competition knew this and no one had a grudge or other bad feelings for Emma, so move on. The EBU cares little about what countries do in their selections, otherwise we should also complain about those who select an artist only with a "professional" jury, or the jury who votes after seeing the results of the televoting. The EBU and Eurovision organization are interested in having the whole list of all the countries with the singers and their songs within the established deadline.

Aidan will try again in the next few years, rest assured that he is young and his song is making its way too. Many singers try for several years and never succeed (Samanta Tina how many times she has been in the Latvian selection for example? Then Annalisa in Italy, Dotter in Sweden, Raiven in Slovenia etc).

I am sure there are people who dismiss Emma's songs because Aidan didn't win.

But for those who didn't care about Aidan and listen to both Emma's songs objectively, do you seriously think by Emma's capabilities, these 2 songs are the best Emma can offer? It's just paint by the numbers and exceptionally beige. I just couldn't believe they went from "Chameleon"/"All My Love"/"Je Me casse" to these 2 songs. Even "Taboo" is a much better song. This is like "Breathlessly" level and we know how that went.

spook's

I am sure there are people who dismiss Emma's songs because Aidan didn't win.

But for those who didn't care about Aidan and listen to both Emma's songs objectively, do you seriously think by Emma's capabilities, these 2 songs are the best Emma can offer? It's just paint by the numbers and exceptionally beige. I just couldn't believe they went from "Chameleon"/"All My Love"/"Je Me casse" to these 2 songs. Even "Taboo" is a much better song. This is like "Breathlessly" level and we know how that went.
Not that her songs are bad, it's just that her non Eurovision songs are better. Out of Sight was nothing special compared to Ritmu. IMWM is a good song, but it's so scandi pop by the numbers that it's generic

crashworld

Veteran
Not that her songs are bad, it's just that her non Eurovision songs are better. Out of Sight was nothing special compared to Ritmu. IMWM is a good song, but it's so scandi pop by the numbers that it's generic

Which I think that's what making most people frustrated about Emma's entries. Just like Israel's Michael, Emma is capable of doing something remotely more interesting as opposed to the 2 songs she did for ESC. So it comes across people are exceptionally harsh on Emma's songs.

For me, I personally don't care at this point. It's a done deal. 2 different songs but still as beige as each other. The only thing now is they need to focus on the staging to make this song stand out and appealing, if not, it's going to struggle since she is in SF2 (which is technically the less open semi compared to SF 1).

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Desperate behavior from a Eurovision infrastructure so neurotic about making sure they get a win that they end up harming their own chances. Being a Eurovision entrant from Malta under the current team honestly sounds like hell. The Maltese delegation needs a house cleaning yesterday—the current folks are beyond the realization that, to a certain extent, if you want to win Eurovision, you have to relax a little and let it come to you. Obviously “Out of Sight” wasn’t going to give us Valletta 2022, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a worthy entry to be proud of.

Oh and the song is a massive downgrade 4 points

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I can understand changing a song if it's an internal selection, but a song that won a NF? People actually voted for that song, as lukewarm as "Out of Sight" was, this is just pathetic. And for what? For another lukewarm song like "I Am What I Am?" lol, the gospel element just pisses me off.

:6: ===> :4:

hijirio

Veteran
This is a desperate attempt and a massive downgrade

I was thinking of upgrading my :6: to a :7: as Out of Sight grew on me
but instead i'm downgrading to

:3:

its-what-she-deserves-kim-kardashian.gif

Loindici

Veteran
Even if I am a sucker for gospel sounds and good vocals... God, burn this abomination in fire. You guys should see how my face looks like listening through this.

:0:

hpp0

I don't know what happened and they changed the song, but even though I didn't really like the previous song I actually preferred it to this. I feel like they saw that there are too many slow songs and they tried to find something more uptempo but failed imo. They will most likely NQ.

ESC94

Ok, I just listened to her new song: Seriously :mt:?? As if changing the song isn´t unfair and outrageous enough towards the people who voted for it, you change it for this boring and outdated gospel title that even the Mamas would refuse to perform?? xangry

I don´t wanna waste too much time with this "song", :1: from me and stay in the semi!! (n)

For me there´s only one "I Am What I Am".

Much better if you ask me. xdance2

Last edited:
Top Bottom