So baby, it's not a maybe
Yeah, I'm too good to be true, but there's nothing in it for you
So if I show some skin, it doesn't mean I'm giving in
Not your baby

Je me casse, je me casse
If you don't get it (Je me casse)
Je me casse, je me casse
I'm not your baby

Boy, are you pouring that drink in my hand?
Thinking if I'm drunk then, I'll give you a chance
Boy, you keep buying and complaining so stop trying
Not gonna give it up and change my plans

Hell no, I'm not your honey
Hell no, I don't want your money
Got it wrong, I ain't into dummies
No-o-o-o

So baby, it's not a maybe
Not your baby

Je me casse, je me casse
If you don't get it (Je me casse)
Je me casse (Je-je-je me casse)
If you don't...

Ladies, if you feel like flaunting tonight, it’s alright, it's alright
Ladies (Ladies), listen to me!
Listen and go right ahead, show you're shining

If you don't get it, if you, if you dont' get it (Je me casse)
If you don't get it, if you, if you don't get it
Excuse my French

Baby, it's not a maybe
Not your baby

Je me casse
Je-je-je me casse
I'm not your baby​

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t you think it’s too harsh to judge an 18 yo, saying it does not have an artistic identity. I mean, she is developing it now? I really don’t understand why so much negativity.
You are partly right and partly wrong.

On one side you have Italian entry of 4 members band age 19 - 22.

For 4 years now (so they were 15 - 18 when they started) the vocalist writes the lyrics and 2 other band members write the music. They do all by themselves.

When they appeared 1st time on a talent show, they appeared with their song, not a cover. 4 years later they are a double platinum in Italy and have 2 tours behind them.

They are not everyone's cup of tea, but after a recap of 39 songs, you remember them being authentic.

Same applies to Roop, Go_A Shum, Hooverphonics, Lesley Roy etc.

On the other side you are right that a musician of 18 yrs born and raised in Malta does not have the same opportunity to develop his on her musical talent in that country. There aren't as many coaches or labels to support them. So the easiest and most likely the only possible way is to give yourself away to some big production company from abroad to do it all for you.

But it is up to her to insist to be heard in a creative process, if she has something to offer in that process.

Even if she doesn't take part in the creation of final musical product, she can still show her stage presence is original and show off her personality. Good example is Madonna.

0scar

Still think the song is great and Destiny is too, hope she wins or at least finish top 3 if she delivers in Rotterdam

don't get why there should be written monologues about her artistic identity or authenticity and why that should negatively affect her success in Eurovision 2021

tararaaam

You are partly right and partly wrong.

On one side you have Italian entry of 4 members band age 19 - 22.

For 4 years now (so they were 15 - 18 when they started) the vocalist writes the lyrics and 2 other band members write the music. They do all by themselves.

When they appeared 1st time on a talent show, they appeared with their song, not a cover. 4 years later they are a double platinum in Italy and have 2 tours behind them.

They are not everyone's cup of tea, but after a recap of 39 songs, you remember them being authentic.

Same applies to Roop, Go_A Shum, Hooverphonics, Lesley Roy etc.

On the other side you are right that a musician of 18 yrs born and raised in Malta does not have the same opportunity to develop his on her musical talent in that country. There aren't as many coaches or labels to support them. So the easiest and most likely the only possible way is to give yourself away to some big production company from abroad to do it all for you.

But it is up to her to insist to be heard in a creative process, if she has something to offer in that process.

Even if she doesn't take part in the creation of final musical product, she can still show her stage presence is original and show off her personality. Good example is Madonna.
I beg to differ, for example I consider the Roop extremely inauthentic, and Leslie quite…meh. However I do agree that Italy oozes charisma this year (and almost every other year during the 10s), and I would be happy if they won. In any case, I feel like all this discussion is extremely strict for Destiny. I can personally see both her charisma and the song not feeling like another swedish product, after she worked on it. To me, this is what Toy should have been, but wasn’t.

Loindici

Veteran
Don’t you think it’s too harsh to judge an 18 yo, saying it does not have an artistic identity. I mean, she is developing it now? I really don’t understand why so much negativity.

I have to disagree on the negativity part, though.

I feel they're not judging Destiny, they're judging the Maltese delegation's effort in designing Destiny's image/direction/concept. Manufacturing an image is a common practice in the music industry (heck, I'm into K-Pop, one of the most palpable examples), but whether that image sells/convince is up to the audience. Hefty amounts of promotion is also important to sell this image, of course.

The concept they chose for Destiny does not really fit her -- I mean, electroswing is a pretty niche genre, and pairing them with this 'independent woman' message on the song, I feel the final product was too mature for her age (objectively, she's barely legal). Instead, the Maltese delegation is trying to convince us about this concept by doing their promotion scheme. Moreover, with the aggressive promotion and the 'questionable' hype on hand (using 'questionable' loosely here), Eurofans might start getting exhausted and realize how the concept has been forced upon them.

It's not Destiny, it's the Maltese delegation.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member

Same applies to Lesley Roy
Lol couldnt stop laughing, comparing with one of most middle of nowhere singers without memorable voice, look, song or hook, Malta wins over easily even if i agree with the rest u said at the same time

popavapeur

Not trying to be a debbie downer but i listened to every entry, put Malta between 15-20 in my personal ranking, wrote a note "will struggle to qualify" and now I see it won the ogae poll and is first in the odds. I surely don't listen and see what you see in it guys but good for Destiny if she takes the trophy. I feel like a delusional lmao not seeing what you all see in it.

Lol couldnt stop laughing, comparing with one of most middle of nowhere singers without memorable voice, look, song or hook, Malta wins over easily even if i agree with the rest u said at the same time

You referred to Lesley Roy who became famous in Ireland and UK in 2009 and is signatory to American Jive Records.

After her 1st album she switched to producing and songwriting for other stars.

Get informed.

IMO that's more success and career and musical autorship than Destiny's.

And the song is IMO better than Malta's, it has been recorded live on instruments in the studio and then produced. It is also more melodic, radio friendly, anthemic and more pleasurable to listen to.

Whereas Malta has digitally produced schizophrenic matrix.

Last edited:

tuorem

Yeah, right?

I'm not sure why there is a discussion about careers and artistical authenticity regarding Destiny in particular, as if she were the only one in that case. If Malta somehow fails to take the crown, it won't be because people haven't seen her name in the credits. If they succeed, it won't be the first time a no-name beats acts who enjoy national/international fame.

As much as I encourage artists to put their personal material out there, not everyone can do it. I'd rather have people write for someone who is a terrible songwriter or who has nothing interesting to say. Not to mention there are plenty of singers that have built careers all around the world without writing a single line, either because they know their limits or singing is their main field of expertise. Should they be castigated for that? I don't think so. We would miss out on big talents.

At the end of the day, what matters the most is how in line the artists themselves feel with their entry imo. Some may want to showcase their true selves, some may want to play a character. All of this is fine imo. Then the viewers will decide whether the overall package on offer appeals to them.

Last edited:

tararaaam

I feel they're not judging Destiny, they're judging the Maltese delegation's effort in designing Destiny's image/direction/concept. Manufacturing an image is a common practice in the music industry (heck, I'm into K-Pop, one of the most palpable examples), but whether that image sells/convince is up to the audience. Hefty amounts of promotion is also important to sell this image, of course.

The concept they chose for Destiny does not really fit her -- I mean, electroswing is a pretty niche genre, and pairing them with this 'independent woman' message on the song, I feel the final product was too mature for her age (objectively, she's barely legal). Instead, the Maltese delegation is trying to convince us about this concept by doing their promotion scheme. Moreover, with the aggressive promotion and the 'questionable' hype on hand (using 'questionable' loosely here), Eurofans might start getting exhausted and realize how the concept has been forced upon them.

I get that, but still, the person punished IS Destiny, that after all is not the responsible for that. I am not even the hugest fan of the song, lately I prefer France or Italy, but I think that pop-dancy songs have been so easily critisised lately. After the “music is not fireworks”, it feels like people are ready to burn on fire the songs that are more “pop”. Moreover, it’s definitely not the first time this has happened, I can remember quite well the era when Azerbaijan or Denmark won, to me there was similar or even more pressure. In any case, if Netta could win, I think Destiny deserves it a 100 times more.
My biggest objection with all that is that noone seems to actually listen to the song itself, and instead we all approve or dissaprove in terms of message or autenticity. Does everything have to be authentic/have a message? In my book, that’s a clear no. Moreover, I prefer something slightly inauthentic, compared to something extremely pretentious.

Remisan

I have no complaints about Destiny as an artist (not all artists started their careers early. Yes, some already wrote their songs at 16-18, but not all of them and it would be unfair to demand the same from her). I'm sure that Destiny will show her individuality more over time (she has artistry, she has a strong voice, she has the ability to stay on stage, she could potentially become a famous singer). And not all singers sing their songs
I have complaints that this song is being presented as an almost guaranteed winner. Eurovision is a song contest.
Yes, I'm biased, I really feel annoyed with the advertising campaign and if this song was to my taste, I would probably judge it softer. I honestly admit that taste also plays a role. But whether I like the song or not, it is difficult to imagine it below the top-5/most minimum 6-7 place.
I'm just saying that I personally would prefer someone more interesting.
I am not saying that others cannot love this song. Everyone have the right to vote simply for what they likes. and I'm not trying to say that someone shouldn't do this.

Last edited:

Exactly.

They forced upon an 18 yrs old girl the alledged woman empowerement message and one other competitor this year in terms of the same message will show how absurd that is.

That is Manizha, who will go on stage with a song Russian Woman, styled first as a babushka, and then as an imprisoned woman, with back vocalist dressed as factory women from SSSR, and a video wall showing Russian women throughout the past.

After that Destiny will sing "I'm not your baby".

Yeah. I'm sorry. Wrong.

crashworld

Veteran
Is the song over-hyped? Absolutely, just like how the ESC bubble over-hypes Switzerland, Italy, France, Lithuania, Finland, Iceland etc.

Should Destiny win? If the Maltese delegation & Destiny bring in the whole package (ie. staging/vocals etc) despite the song being void of authenticity, I say why not and kudos to them? (But it will not be my favourite winner that's for sure).

At the end of the day, no one song can please everyone.
But if this is what the public and juries have voted to be the winner eventually, then just respect its win and move along.

FoxOfShadows

I'm no fan of the practices the Maltese delegation have stooped to in previous years and it's sadly no different this year. Manipulating views and odds is just underhand and unnesesary and it'll leave a bitter taste if Destiny does win. Additionally, I feel that there is no chance Malta is gonna crack the top 3 of the televote with :it: , :is: , and :lt: around so any win is gonna be more controversial than even :se: 2015. Maybe years ending in 1 are just cursed at Eurovision

Remisan

just like how the ESC bubble over-hypes

The fans hype whatever they like and it is ok. If Little Big would be in the competition, then the hype of any other country would simply drown in the hype of russian fans, I'm sure xrofl
We were talking about delegation, not the fans. And we just don't want the jury to drown Malta's rivals.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
I get that, but still, the person punished IS Destiny, that after all is not the responsible for that.

Unfortunately, this is how music industry works. If a concept is shown and public dislikes it, it's the artists who will take the blame first. They're the face of the art, after all.

After the “music is not fireworks”, it feels like people are ready to burn on fire the songs that are more “pop”. Moreover, it’s definitely not the first time this has happened, I can remember quite well the era when Azerbaijan or Denmark won, to me there was similar or even more pressure. In any case, if Netta could win, I think Destiny deserves it a 100 times more.

I don't think the public or specifically Euro-fans have a negative consensus on pop songs, there are examples of songs that got good amount of public support and are considered as pop (Arcade, Heroes, Sound of Silence, She Got Me, Fuego, etc.). Since you're also speaking by your own personal experience, I don't think I am able to refute anything.

Wait a second, maybe I'll refute one thing. Destiny deserves to win, but maybe not with this song. Explanation down below.

My biggest objection with all that is that no one seems to actually listen to the song itself, and instead we all approve or dissaprove in terms of message or authenticity. Does everything have to be authentic/have a message?

While authenticity < marketability in most music industry cases, Je Me Casse is in no way an authentic Maltese product. It is a song bought from Swedish-UK composers, and the only visible things that made it Maltese are Destiny and the name of the country it represents.

For some Euro-fans that dig deep into these, an Swedish-UK-produced song representing Malta in an international song contest and gaining hype to win it is... so wrong in many places. If it was supposed to be a regular single, I don't think it'll cause a debate, but since it's a Eurovision song, some fans are getting tired of this industrial practice.

-----

I will be indifferent-to-okay to Destiny winning. I like Destiny as a singer, but I don't like Je Me Casse as a Eurovision entry, and I don't like the strategy Malta uses to promote their entry. I think I'll leave it up to here.

Luffy

I honestly wouldn't mind a Malta victory to be honest. The song is not bad, Destiny is a great singer, no one can challenge that.

I want Malta to win one day, same goes for Cyprus and Iceland, so why not now?

I just wish they didn't go for that tacky video clip where she was all other that guy in a total opposition to the message of the song.

I also wish they weren't so aggressive in their promotion too. It's so pointless anyway.

Top Bottom