13 7.4%

16 9.1%

12 6.8%

10 5.7%

21 11.9%

• Total voters

DanielLuis

Re: MALTA 2018

The fact that they did lyric videos just makes Brooke's song sound even more ridiculous xpuke
Anyways, I feel that Malta needs to change the direction, the majority of the songs sound really basic and under produced... basically MF rejects xshrug

It's so strange how Malta are so good at the JESC and produce such low quality NFs for the main contest. I think maybe they should go the route they use in JESC and start internally selecting their entries for a few years. It made them very competitive in that contest and also gave them "Walk on water" (even though the live performance let the song down)

JonnyWest

It's so strange how Malta are so good at the JESC and produce such low quality NFs for the main contest. I think maybe they should go the route they use in JESC and start internally selecting their entries for a few years. It made them very competitive in that contest and also gave them "Walk on water" (even though the live performance let the song down)

This. Malta in JESC behaves like a completely different country (a better one)

RomanFromRussia

I think JESC winners are adult enough to take part in their NFs, no?

Destiny can easily strike the ESC stage and we all see maltese hosting with these ads xheat

tvfan

Not yet. But it will be the case next year for Gaia Cauchi, Federica Falzon and Destiny.

Fierro

What a genericfest of a selection. I still managed to find songs that are kind of decent to me. These are:

Eleanor Cassar — Back to Life (favorite)
Richard & Joe Micallef — Song for Dad
Christabelle — Taboo
Miriana Conte – Rocket
Tiziana — First Time
Rhiannon — Beyond Blue Horizons (listenable)

JonnyWest

Please send ''Song for Dad'' and then Malta can dream of qualification. It's kinda cheesy but it's voteable and there's def some appeal

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I just got my life (insurance) and listened to the Maltese songs. Here's what I think.

Christabelle - Taboo I quite like this. Melody is a bit by the numbers, but it's Malta so it comes across as bless. I really like some of the stuff going on with the production. Could probably do without the dubstep section though.

Danica - One Step at a time Those euro beats during the chorusxheat Full on rave pop. It's a bit repetitive... ok a lot repetitive but I sort of enjoyed it still. I think i'd get very bored of it quite quickly though.

Petra - Evolution I found this one hollow, and it doesn't seem to go anywhere despite the potential there with Petra's powerful vocals.

Rhiannon - Beyond Blue Horizons I got goosebumps during the first chorus. This is all about Rhiannon's voice. If she pulls this off live then BOOM, huge potential for success at Eurovision.

Aidan - Dai Laga Not my kind of thing but seems competent for what it is.

Tiziana - First Time Gorgeous voice. Such a deep, rich tone. This is far too "Malta" though, and after last year it's probably best not to go in a direction like this which would be near enough insta-flop. The song is pleasant and inoffensive and i'd enjoy having it's presence at the contest, but I want to see Malta back in the final.

Lawrence Gray - Love Renegade I like the music. Certainly one of Lawrence's better attempts but the vocals are too wispy. Nothing really to grab onto here.

Dwett - Breaking Point Gosh, this song is the aural equivalent of a large candyfloss covered in glitter. You can't help but bite into it but then you're choking. I somehow can't hate this, and could see myself pretending to ironically enjoy it, whilst secretly actually legitimately being quite fond of it.

Deborah C - Turn it Up A bit too basic. I'd like to see Malta with something fun and upbeat, but it needs to be more than this. Sounds too cheap.

Miriana Conte - Rocket Hippest song in the selection. Providing she can pull this off live, I think this could be quite an alright choice for Malta. It could be appreciated at Eurovision. I'm not particularly keen though on it, personally.

Jasmine - Supernovas I like Jasmine but this song doesn't really go anywhere. "Alive" was much better.

Avenue Sky - We Can Run Please no. It's like this song was put together especially to bug me. Boy group and a woooah oh oh chorus. Urhhhhhh.

Eleanor - Back to Life The most ballsy tune here. Eleanor is slaying that chorus so hard. It's absolutely nothing new, and almost is too generic, but her vocals really do pull things together. My worry is that this would be something appreciated more by Eurovision fans, than the general public. We've had these kinds of entries countless times now, and they've been hyped up by fans and then struggle at the contest.

Matthew Anthony - Call 2morrow Song is inoffensive and kind of chill. I'd like to set fire to that hat though.

Brooke - Heart of Gold The only song along with "Breaking Point" from this selection that managed to annoy me. This is really irritating.

Richard & Joe - Song for Dad Bless this. I don't know really what I think of it to be honest. I like Richard and seeing him sing with his dad is cute. The song itself is not my kind of thing at all, but I appreciate it somehow as a novelty.

Unfortunately no song here I absolutely adore on first listen, but Rhiannon's "Beyond Blue Horizons" is the stand out one I think here. Her vocals are outstanding in the studio version, and the song is impressive without having to go over the top with the music. The vocals do all the work, and the backing vocals add a haunting layer. I'm looking forward to experiencing this one live.

I hope Malta pick wisely. I want to see them back in the final and doing wellxcrossed

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

It's time to put together the ESC United Ranking for MESC. Please vote using the link below for your favorites. Results coming soon.

CLICK HERE

Ezio

Veteran

A very bleak selection. If I had to rank them, I'd struggle. The only decent song is "Song for dad". Not because it is particularily good, but it appeals emotionally. The rest of the songs does exactly nothing for me.

NNR

FoxOfShadows

Ugh, almost all of the songs sound exactly the same and all have that hollow, demo-track feeling :? The only thing here that I kind of like is "Call 2morrow" (although the title is annoying). It's the only song that feels even slightly modern. Hopefully Malta will pick this but I don't have much hope :?

tsegaye

Gosh, Heart of Gold has some potential and it would be nice to finally see Brooke in eurovision, but I mean those lyrics are the worst:?

EDIT: The same applies to Christabelle...

Romeo

Romeo

I know Christabelle and Richard personally so I feel like I should support them more than others.... BUT... I feel that Petra has the best chance in Eurovision

ParadiseES

I was expecting the typical snooze fest from Malta and I'm gladly surprised with the songs, even if many of the songs sound similar (even the girls look similar lol). There isn't any top entry, but all of them, except two, are at least decent, so Malta should be proud.

My choice is clear. Deborah C is the one to choose. Her song is the one who stands out the most :D

Luke

1944 had more views on youtube when Jamala performed it on TV so I dont think this will be an issue

Actually it has over 200k views in YouTube since September, and the same backing track has been used on other songs too, so it is kind of an issue

Top Bottom