Contact us

MALAYSIA - Malaysia 2010

TF100

my.gif

hawadharma

[center:3tolb7b8]ATTENTION MUSIC ENTHUSIASTS AROUND THE GLOBE!![/center:3tolb7b8]

[center:3tolb7b8]
muzik2xq2.jpg
[/center:3tolb7b8]

Now you have the golden chance to help Malaysia decide the representative for Our Sound!!
This is open to everybody from all over the world.
Please help us decide the best song from our country!!

To join, please follow these steps:

1. Go to http://www.tv3.com.my
2. 'Sign up' for an account.
3. After you have your username and password, 'log in'.
4. Go to http://www.tv3.com.my/muzikmuzik
5. You will see a list of songs numbered 1 to 20. This is the weekly Malaysian song chart.
6. Listen to the full songs in youtube by typing the name of the song and artiste, or you can visit the youtube channel 'http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzikMuzik25TV3' for the official live performances.
7. Now you can vote for your favourite song!!
8. To vote a song, just click button 'UNDI' (with a blue tick symbol) next to the song info.
9. You can vote as many song as you want but you have to remember that you will only be allowed to vote 20 times in total PER DAY.
10. For example, if you really like ONE song, you can spend all the 20 votes on the song. You will not be allowed to vote anymore until the next 24 hours.

So, what are you waiting for?? Vote for your favourite Malaysian song. Help us decide who will represent Malaysia in Our Sound!! Thanks a lot!!

hawadharma

In MALAYSIA, we have an annual national song competition, similar to National Finals in Eurovision.
It is called 'Anugerah Juara Lagu (AJL)' which stands for 'Award for Champion of Songs'.

ajl24.jpg

This competition (AJL) has been running since 1987 until now, and has become the most anticipated musical event in Malaysia.

The selection process for AJL starts around February until November each year, when composers send their songs to be nominated in the weekly musical chart programme called 'MUZIK MUZIK'.

The audience will have the chance to vote the songs nominated in the weekly charts. Higher votes means higher place, and also longer period of time in the chart. A maximum of 20 songs can be placed in the chart at one particular time. Points are calculated based on the weekly placing of the song, and also the number of weeks.

In November, 30 songs with most points will be announced, and will proceed to the semi-finals.
Until 2008, the songs will be divided into 3 semi-finals based on 3 major song genres (Creative Ethnic, Pop/Rock, Ballad), in which 4 best songs of each semi-finals will proceed to the finals.
Starting November 2009, the genre system are abolished.
Therefore the 3 semi-finals will be of mixed genres, so every song stands an equal chance to proceed to the finals.

The 12 qualifying songs from the 3 semi-finals will compete in the finals to win the ultimate title of 'Best Song of The Year'. Normally the finals will take place in January, to allow the singers to prepare their performances in 2 months.

Awards in competition during final night:

1. Best Song Of The Year, Runner-up, 2nd runner-up
2. Best Vocals
3. Best Performances

The winners are 100% decided by a group of selected jury. The jury panel consists of musical experts, experienced artistes and media representatives.

:D :D :D :D

hawadharma

Here are the AJL winners for the past 10 years (1999-2009).

1999 - M. Nasir - "Andalusia" - Genre: World Music

2000 - Siti Nurhaliza - "Balqis" - Genre: World Music

2001 - Yassin - "Mimpi Laila" (Laila's Dream) - Genre: World Music

2002 - Nurul/Ajai - "Keliru" (Confused) - Genre: Pop

2003 - Misha Omar - "Bunga-Bunga Cinta" (Flowers of Love) - Genre: Ballad

2004 - Spider - "Relaku Pujuk" (I'm Willing To Entice) - Genre: Ballad/Rock

2005 - Jaclyn Victor - "Gemilang" (Glory) - Genre: Ballad

2006 - Adibah Noor - "Terlalu Istimewa" (You're Too Special) - Genre: Ballad

2007 - Estranged - "Itu Kamu" (That's You) - Genre: Rock

2008 - Meet Uncle Hussain - "Lagu Untukmu" (Song For You) - Genre: Rock

2009 - Aizat - "Pergi" (Go) - Genre: Ballad
[center:2174kycf][/center:2174kycf]

:D :D :D

takeru

Wow, it sounds interesting and detailed; do you think you could be adopting something similar for Our Sound? :p

As for genre, well, anything would be great, I like to be open-minded about genre :mrgreen: Though it's always especially nice to see something reprsentative of the country :D

I've looked a little bit at some Malaysian rock too, and Estranged and PopShuvit were very cool ^^ But I know that's only the tip of the iceberg, there's surely a great music scene to discover here :mrgreen:

hawadharma

As you can see, there is a trend on winning songs each year based on different genres:

WORLD MUSIC >> BALLAD >> ROCK

Back in 1999-2001, the winning songs are more authentic, with genuine music and meaningful lyrics, which is more appealing to musical academia and critics alike.

As time goes by, Malaysian composers tend to produce songs which are more appealing to younger generations who are the majority voters in the weekly musical charts.

There is also an argument of whether or not the 'best song of the year' actually reflects the musical preferences of Malaysians as a whole, because public votes are only required to choose songs for the semi-finals, while in the finals, the decision is 100% made by the panel of jury.

:? :?

hawadharma

takeru said:
Wow, it sounds interesting and detailed; do you think you could be adopting something similar for Our Sound? :p

As for genre, well, anything would be great, I like to be open-minded about genre :mrgreen: Though it's always especially nice to see something reprsentative of the country :D

I've looked a little bit at some Malaysian rock too, and Estranged and PopShuvit were very cool ^^ But I know that's only the tip of the iceberg, there's surely a great music scene to discover here :mrgreen:

Hi takeru,
Glad to read your opinion.

Yes, I also think that it would be nice to have countries sending songs that reflects their own culture and ethnic, rather than sending upbeat, catchy Westernised songs.

The music scene in Malaysia now is pretty much influenced by the new music wave of so-called 'indie bands', so the youngsters now are more familiarised with alternative rock, pop, ska, R&B etc.

Btw, where are you from? :D

hawadharma

Just to let you guys have a taste of some of the great ethnic songs with Malaysian identity,
These songs competed in AJL at various years:

Tell me what you think of these songs , OK? :p

[youtube:siavjn4h]yhzkLDVw2S4[/youtube:siavjn4h]

[youtube:siavjn4h]JYbQMZd1dlU[/youtube:siavjn4h]

[youtube:siavjn4h]Cb3T26-hEn4[/youtube:siavjn4h]

[youtube:siavjn4h]MXIlO5l0Rq4[/youtube:siavjn4h]

:D :D

takeru

hawadharma said:
takeru said:

Hi takeru,
Glad to read your opinion.

Yes, I also think that it would be nice to have countries sending songs that reflects their own culture and ethnic, rather than sending upbeat, catchy Westernised songs.

The music scene in Malaysia now is pretty much influenced by the new music wave of so-called 'indie bands', so the youngsters now are more familiarised with alternative rock, pop, ska, R&B etc.

Btw, where are you from? :D

I live in the UK but I'm half Japanese :mrgreen:
And I've recently become very interested in getting to know more Asian music :D
Sooo, combining the Eurovision format with Asian nations and music makes Our Sound perfect for me :D When it happens :lol:

hawadharma

takeru said:

Just for you, Takeru..
I translated a song by Pop Shuvit 'Marabahaya'..

If possible, I want this song to represent us in Our Sound.. since Pop Shuvit is already known internationally, it might gain us lots of votes :D

[center:3nrg1nuo][youtube:3nrg1nuo]ipA3Ew9C1Ag[/youtube:3nrg1nuo]

MARABAHAYA (Danger Ahead)

Far, I'm speeding far,
Far and further,
There's no left and right,
Only one way ahead of me.

Faster, I'm going faster
And I'm getting there,
I'll conquer the end of the line,
My territory is where the checkered flag is.

I move with courage, against time
My heart-stopping actions left you speechless,
This place is mine, bonded in my joints and my soul.

'Harakiri' flows in my blood, I dare to die,
Across the hurricanes and the dead ends,
Torch burns, fire blasts,
Proceed with no excuse, no limitations.

The chess plays and the clever moves,
Machines modified, with intelligent armors,
Standing tall, or sprawling down by the road, ignored
Breaking through with pride and burning spirit.

The chase to be the champion,
With shaking grips and vibrating wheels,
Running amok in the circuit,
And nitrous oxide is burning wild.

Going against the current, of danger ahead.
I must fight, the danger ahead.[/center:3nrg1nuo]

hawadharma

WOW! I see a potential candidate for Our Sound..

A single just released on radio.. this song is just great! :D :D

Please comment ok... ;) Sorry for the quality beacuse it is recorded from radio.. full mp3 not available yet :?

[center:2q7qkvey]STACY - JAHAT (Evil/Bad)

[youtube:2q7qkvey]j_qdpqEHmvY[/youtube:2q7qkvey]

I gave up on love
When I was carried away, it ends with frustration
But since his presence
All my control system is revealed.

Oh oh

My brain says "Don't be greedy!"
But my heart says "Go!"
Is it true that love is blind?
Because I can't see anything except him..

Oh oh

Chorus:

I... I have been cast with the charm of love,
From which way did you attack me?
Attacking me who used to be so invincible, oh
You're so evil, you're so bad..

You.. you made me talk in my sleep
Each second I imagined about you
You are the only one who can cure me,
You're so evil, you're so bad..

What really has happened?
Didn't I made a vow not to fall in love again?
It's true, I'm not ready yet,
But my heart is pushing me, urging me.

Oh Oh

(chorus)

Evil, evil, you evil boy..
(I have got a love fever)
Evil, you evil boy
(I have got a love fever)

Ooh.. you're so evil
Ooh.. you're so bad..[/center:2q7qkvey]

hawadharma

[center:2qr1eeqr]ATTENTION MUSIC ENTHUSIASTS AROUND THE GLOBE!![/center:2qr1eeqr]

[center:2qr1eeqr]
muzik2xq2.jpg
[/center:2qr1eeqr]

Now you have the golden chance to help Malaysia decide the representative for Our Sound!!
This is open to everybody from all over the world.
Please help us decide the best song from our country!!

To join, please follow these steps:

1. Go to http://www.tv3.com.my
2. 'Sign up' for an account.
3. After you have your username and password, 'log in'.
4. Go to http://www.tv3.com.my/muzikmuzik
5. You will see a list of songs numbered 1 to 20. This is the weekly Malaysian song chart.
6. Listen to the full songs in youtube by typing the name of the song and artiste, or you can visit the youtube channel 'http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzikMuzik25TV3' for the official live performances.
7. Now you can vote for your favourite song!!
8. To vote a song, just click button 'UNDI' (with a blue tick symbol) next to the song info.
9. You can vote as many song as you want but you have to remember that you will only be allowed to vote 20 times in total PER DAY.
10. For example, if you really like ONE song, you can spend all the 20 votes on the song. You will not be allowed to vote anymore until the next 24 hours.

So, what are you waiting for?? Vote for your favourite Malaysian song. Help us decide who will represent Malaysia in Our Sound!! Thanks a lot!!

AlekS

Veteran
^ Done! :D

I voted for these entries:

12 votes for Inilah Cinta - Akim... so sweet and uptempo. Like a mix of Kazakh pop and J-pop + gr8 voice :p He's really enjoying it so it can have Lena-effect (except I like him more :mrgreen: ).

8 votes for Extravaganza - Bunkface... I hope the lyrics is not dumb :oops: :lol: so energetic! :twisted:

some people sang live and some people used playback. It was hard to compare because of that.
overall ... wow, I didn't expect to hear so many good & different songs.

hawadharma

AlekS said:
^ Done! :D

I voted for these entries:

12 votes for Inilah Cinta - Akim... so sweet and uptempo. Like a mix of Kazakh pop and J-pop + gr8 voice :p He's really enjoying it so it can have Lena-effect (except I like him more :mrgreen: ).

8 votes for Extravaganza - Bunkface... I hope the lyrics is not dumb :oops: :lol: so energetic! :twisted:

some people sang live and some people used playback. It was hard to compare because of that.
overall ... wow, I didn't expect to hear so many good & different songs.

Thanks Aleks for the votes!! :) :)
By the way, the position of the songs in the chart will change every week, depending on how many votes they get during the week.
It is ideal to vote your favourite song on daily basis, fully utilising your daily 20 votes allowances. :D
The 30 semi-finalists will be chosen around September/October based on how long it stays on the chart and its positions in the weekly chart.

Songs which gain low votes will be kicked out from the chart. :cry:
Many good songs have received this fate last year, for example NIKKI PALIKAT with the song CANTIK. :cry:

Keep on voting, OK!! :D

hawadharma

takeru said:
OMG Wow :D This sounds like it has loads of great potential!
Soooo happy to see things kicking off for this contest xgoddess

You promised us a great detailed NF, and Malaysia seems to have granted that promise well :mrgreen:
I'll have a look later tonight! :D

Oh, and thank you so much for the translation hawadharma! xheart

Yeah, please check it out, takeru. :D

hawadharma

By the way, to Aleks,

The song by Bunkface is not dumb at all, its about lifting the spirit of teenagers who have low self-esteem..

That's why it's so energetic.. maybe one of the best songs this year.. :D :D :D

hawadharma

Apart from AKIM, another singer who can be highlighted is ANA RAFFALI with her song HUJAN BUNGA DI KUALA LUMPUR.

She's sweet, beautiful, plays the guitar, compose and write the lyrics herself.

And her song is totally fun, a mix of pop, acoustic and orchestra.. check it out.. :D

Top Bottom