Contact us

Måneskin's popularity and its possible impact on the contest

b4ld3r

I know there's another thread for speculation about general trends for 2022, but I thought it might be interesting to collect the forum's general thoughts on this specifically in one thread.

Now, with Måneskin becoming internationally successful, do you think this will have any impact on the coming year's pool of contestants? That is, do you think that we might see acts that previously wouldn't have consider touching the contest, either because they consider themselves above it or their genre to not fit, now entering? Personally I have no idea lol.

Last edited:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Sure! The music world revolves only around that band now.

bstream

At the bare minimum, Maneskin’s overnight meteoric rise shows that ESC is just as relevant now as it ever was. They may have kicked off a pop-punk revival in the mainstream charts, which is remarkable.

Loreen’s 2012 win fundamentally changed ESC as we knew it, just looking at the type
of entries we had in 2009, 2010, and 2011 vs 2018, 2019, and 2021. Her win undoubtedly set the stage for their win this years, with winners being expected to chart continent-wide and, possibly worldwide.

With the Contest’s seemingly upward trajectory, maybe we should start to expect immediate charting to be the norm?

I expect national finals next year to be full of pop-rock entries, indie pop, and ballads, reflecting this year’s top 4.

Ianp16

I think Måneskin are a once in a generation eurovision success, kind of like ABBA and Celine Dion. I think their success will encourage some established artists to take part in the contest but can't see it having a long-standing impact in terms of high profile acts. Established artists never really seem to do massively well in recent times, from what I can recall.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I think Måneskin are a once in a generation eurovision success, kind of like ABBA and Celine Dion. I think their success will encourage some established artists to take part in the contest but can't see it having a long-standing impact in terms of high profile acts. Established artists never really seem to do massively well in recent times, from what I can recall.

established acts do well if they have a good song - Eleni in 2018, basically any Italian act... if an established act as a dire song (Blas in 2021 etc.) of course if won't finish high.

I see it having a lasting impact... Celine and ABBA were different because back then Eurovision was not seen as a joke and established acts entered, this however did not last due to the introduction of televoting and the erasure of juries.

Uto

Veteran
I don't know what this topic is for. Solid has more than twice the views of any Maneskin song. It's not like some halfwits suddenly tuning in to some fad has never happened before. Best case scenario some more alternative music is seen as viable in ESC and we will see some more variety. Worst case scenario we get more of these style-over-substance bands running for the money.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I don't know what this topic is for. Solid has more than twice the views of any Maneskin song. It's not like some halfwits suddenly tuning in to some fad has never happened before. Best case scenario some more alternative music is seen as viable in ESC and we will see some more variety. Worst case scenario we get more of these style-over-substance bands running for the money.

Soldi was very popular in Italy and Mahmood had more or less very local success, Maneskin are building international success with their non-eurovision song charting in many countries.

Uto

Veteran
Soldi was very popular in Italy and Mahmood had more or less very local success, Maneskin are building international success with their non-eurovision song charting in many countries.
Soldi had global reach too, charting in many countries and even making waves in the USA. It's the same with Arcade by Duncan etc. There is nothing special about Maneskin.

EscUKFan

I think a lot of Måneskin’s success is down to the type of band they are/their image/target market. Of course any success for a Eurovision artist is GREAT (they still have two songs top ten here in the UK which is UNHEARD of :D)

I’d like to think it’d open up the idea to the general public that Eurovision music can actually be QUITE GOOD but I’m not convinced. Here at least, after next years contest I wouldn’t be surprised to see Måneskin charting higher than any 2022 artist, providing they perform at some point.

EscUKFan

But still, whatever happens it’s going to be a super interesting year to see what routes countries will go down.

Uto

Veteran
as I said what's different about Maneskin is that their NON- eurovision songs are charting this didn't happen with Duncan and Mahmood!
Ok, did miss that detail, but this is moving goalposts as Duncan had no non-ESC songs and Mahmood had some earlier work that didn't really make massive waves anywhere, while Maneskin was already touring Europe selling out B-tier venues and playing B-tier festivals prior to ESC, so I don't really know what you really want to say with this argument. Seems to me like all it does is show how Maneskin has a superior back catalog according to general population. Certainly there's a very noticeable uptick in their popularity, but it's not something we haven't seen before. Topic raises a point that's still just begging the question.

Looren

Veteran
I really hear Maneskin at every streets in Morocco, so I hope that it'll give to the Moroccans a bit more interest in the contest (the interest is litteraly inexistant now and almost no one remember the existence of ESC mdr)

And well if Moroccans have more interest in ESC we might come back someday xheart

A-lister

Veteran
Soldi had global reach too, charting in many countries and even making waves in the USA. It's the same with Arcade by Duncan etc. There is nothing special about Maneskin.
Ok, did miss that detail, but this is moving goalposts as Duncan had no non-ESC songs and Mahmood had some earlier work that didn't really make massive waves anywhere, while Maneskin was already touring Europe selling out B-tier venues and playing B-tier festivals prior to ESC, so I don't really know what you really want to say with this argument. Seems to me like all it does is show how Maneskin has a superior back catalog according to general population. Certainly there's a very noticeable uptick in their popularity, but it's not something we haven't seen before. Topic raises a point that's still just begging the question.

:lol: someone clearly dislikes Måneskin ...

I like Mahmood and "Soldi" too (more than Måneskin probably), but Måneskin is clearly doing much better Pan-European wise where's Mahmood is a big star in Italy but that's about it... let's just see about longevity, it's too early to tell.

Not everything is about USA though, but it's cool that Duncan managed to get a radio hit over there 2 years after the win, random but cool.

Uto

Veteran
:lol: someone clearly dislikes Måneskin ...

I like Mahmood and "Soldi" too (more than Måneskin probably), but Måneskin is clearly doing much better Pan-European wise where's Mahmood is a big star in Italy but that's about it... let's just see about longevity, it's too early to tell.

Not everything is about USA though, but it's cool that Duncan managed to get a radio hit over there 2 years after the win, random but cool.
But why would you think that I dislike Maneskin when all I'm saying is that people are assuming something to be true which is demonstrably doubtful, that's just trying to erode the validity of my opinions based on some assumptions which is just a fucking shit attitude man.

A-lister

Veteran
But why would you think that I dislike Maneskin when all I'm saying is that people are assuming something to be true which is demonstrably doubtful, that's just trying to erode the validity of my opinions based on some assumptions which is just a fucking shit attitude man.

Relax man, over-sensitive much? :lol:

Read your own posts, and think about your own attitude perhaps (I refer to this response of yours, not the posts in general). You're entitled to your own opinions of course, case closed on that. Jeez... the drama over what really xshrug

Success can be measured but I guess it depends what you view as "successful", when it comes to Eurovision entrants then it's clear that Måneskin has managed much more as a Eurovision winner (or entrant in general) than what we're normally used to see, while all your posts come with the message that it's really not much of a success to talk about. I think in Eurovision context we are seeing something fairly unusual, not sure what the point is to diminish all that but each to their own of course.

Of course, if there will be any longevity coming out of this or if they can keep up the momentum is too early to tell, also I don't think anyone honestly claims they're on ABBA level of success or something like that, but I guess as Eurovision fans we could celebrate that the winner for a change managed something which is pretty rare, or we can do the opposite... different perspectives.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
Relax man, over-sensitive much? :lol:

Read your own posts, and think about your own attitude perhaps (I refer to this response of yours, not the posts in general). You're entitled to your own opinions of course, case closed on that. Jeez... the drama over what really xshrug
So now you reflect it onto me? I'm not the one making assumptions about you though. And for emphasis of all the possible reactions here you again choose one that focuses on making assumptions about me, this time me being over-sensitive. Very strange behavior.

A-lister

Veteran
So now you reflect it onto me? I'm not the one making assumptions about you though. And for emphasis of all the possible reactions here you again choose one that focuses on making assumptions about me, this time me being over-sensitive. Very strange behavior.

Whatever man like really ... yikes :lol:

b4ld3r

Well, now that every performer has been revealed, I think the answer to this is largely no? In terms of artists with big careers outside of the contest deciding to participate, Lumix is really the only one that comes to mind (as well as Armin van Buuren, if their attempt counts). I think Måneskin's success 100% was the reason Achille Lauro decided to accept San Marino's invitation, but he was already lightly ESC-adjascent due to his Sanremo-entries. The Rasmus aren't exactly at the height of their career, so I think they'd apply either way, and it was probably the success of Blind Channel (especially in the Finnish charts) that played a larger role. Sam Ryder is TikTok famous, but I also have a hunch he would've said yes either way. Electric Callboy has a decent following as well, but they also strike me as artists that would've tried to take part before as well, with them being a comedy band.

Last edited:

Chalphon

established acts do well if they have a good song - Eleni in 2018, basically any Italian act... if an established act as a dire song (Blas in 2021 etc.) of course if won't finish high.

I see it having a lasting impact... Celine and ABBA were different because back then Eurovision was not seen as a joke and established acts entered, this however did not last due to the introduction of televoting and the erasure of juries.

Neither Celine Dion nor ABBA were established acts when they won. The people who thinks the ESC is a joke now thought that back then aswell, I don't think that has anything to do with it. There were even countries who boycotted the contest in the 60's for beeing too camp and cliché (my own country for instance). If anything the televotes has helped established acts get higher points because they already have had a fan base. So to summerize, I pretty much disagree with everything you wrote lol :D Except the part about everything coming down to whether or not the song is good, that is what makes or breaks an entry, not whether the artist is established or not.

Top Bottom