Contact us

Luxembourg LUXEMBOURG 2023 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

DanielLuis

Even though I wasn't even alive for the contests thye took part in, I still think it should be a top priority for the EBU to get them back on board asap. Not only for their amazing history at the contest but also because they're a county sitting smack down in the center of Europe and it's just sad they don't enter this yearly party with everybody else around them. The more the merrier.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Even though I wasn't even alive for the contests thye took part in, I still think it should be a top priority for the EBU to get them back on board asap. Not only for their amazing history at the contest but also because they're a county sitting smack down in the center of Europe and it's just sad they don't enter this yearly party with everybody else around them. The more the merrier.

i agree...

i mean, luxembourg is rich and not that small + has a rich history at esc...

it's sad that they're not participating.

i understand andorra, monaco, bih, turkey not participating (too small/not enough money//political issues), but luxembourg and slovakia have no excuses honestly.

Realest

We all know it wont happen.

macmillanandwife

It's kind of weird Luxembourg doesn't want to participate, even though there is much interest in the country. RTL Group is one of the largest media companies in the world, yet they don't want to work with the Luxembourgish government to participate in Eurovision? I call BS. RTL can make a deal where they work with the Luxembourgish government and pay for part if not most of the costs for participation. Or is it that RTL Group cannot do this?

Well, they left in 1993 due to them being relegated, but also because French was declining as a popular language in Eurovision. I can see 1984 as the year where the decline began, and with a couple of exceptions in 1986 & 1988, they never really recovered. There was possibly some interest when the semis were introduced in 2004, but when they saw how terribly microstates like Andorra, Monaco, and San Marino were doing, they got cold feet. There was a large possibility of them returning in 2010, but that fell through.

However, seeing the success of San Marino and the love that country has with the Eurovision fandom, they can just use the same reasoning of returning as SM did and just state they want at tourism boost. Hosting is a different story as their largest indoor arena can hold only up to 8,300 people.

I would love to see Luxembourg back and finally have all of Benelux participate again.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
i agree...

i mean, luxembourg is rich and not that small + has a rich history at esc...

it's sad that they're not participating.

i understand andorra, monaco, bih, turkey not participating (too small/not enough money//political issues), but luxembourg and slovakia have no excuses honestly.

Luxembourg is pretty small? What do we compare with here?

But being rich isn't just enough, it's a topic that is repeating itself, but what it all boils down to is the finances of the national broadcasters (do they have the financial means to enter? if yes, do they even want to answer? If no, who will sponsor? Is there incitaments from the state to sponsor it? Private sponsors? Would a record label and/-or delegation be ready to bear the costs?)

DanielLuis

But being rich isn't just enough, it's a topic that is repeating itself, but what it all boils down to is the finances of the national broadcasters (do they have the financial means to enter? if yes, do they even want to answer? If no, who will sponsor? Is there incitaments from the state to sponsor it? Private sponsors? Would a record label and/-or delegation be ready to bear the costs?)
Yeah that's pretty much it, their EBU broadcaster is basically a news channel that has like 2 hours of original programming daily, and that has to compete with German, Belgian and French broadcasters for attention. They're pretty poor and it was pretty much natural that they didn't give Eurovision much of a thought, even though Luxembourg actually has quite a big fanbase.
And that's exactly why these news are pretty interesting because this time, it seems like it's the actual government offering to make a plan about participation and helping the broadcaster out, so there's definitely some hope in the future. Hopefully those talks don't fall through.

GRE

So after Luxembourg, Monaco and Turkey,
EBU needs to bring back Slovakia, Bosnia and Hungary !

rasmuslights

Veteran

I'm comparing it with Iceland, San Marino, Montenegro and Malta. It is small of course but not so small that it couldn't compete...

Sammy

Veteran
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

This is Xmas, easter, birthday and New Year all together!
xyaaayxyaaayxyaaayxyaaayxyaaayxyaayxyaayxyaayxyaayxcheerxcheerxcheerxcheerxcheers

Top Bottom