escYOUnited

Administrator
lu.png

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Re: LUXEMBOURG 2020

Local fans as well as artists begs the broadcaster to let Luxembourg come back:
Can we really believe that the Grand Duchy does not have the means to pay the €150,000 fee to participate in Eurovision, unlike the small state of San Marino? Any sponsor or sponsor would be happy to support RTL, which would gain a strong audiovisual audience!

Let’s admit that in terms of “Nation branding”, Eurovision is a boon for Luxembourg. We can not pretend to weigh on the European stage and refuse to participate in the only festive event that genuinely brings together the popular public of our continent.
G

https://escbubble.com/2019/05/local...r-luxembourgs-comeback-to-eurovision-in-2020/

They have a higher population than Malta, San Marino & Iceland who all consistently participate. Even when Iceland was declaring bankruptcy in 2009, they still took part. Luxembourg is supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world, It baffles me how a country that is so intertwined and invested in the EU and european cause, could refuse point blank to take part in something that unites and brings the entire continent together. It's total rubbish that the can't afford it, as you put it, if San Marino can do it, then they can. RTL just simply has 0 interest in Eurovision at all, Germany hosting 2011 didn't bring them back, I doubt the Netherlands hosting will and sadly they wont ever return to Eurovision. I think that much is clear. I will have to see it to believe it.

tuorem

To me it's pretty clear: Luxembourg might return if the Dutch's slogan next year is "welcome to tax haven" and inconspicuous European newcomers such as Singapore, Bermuda, Mauritius and Cayman Islands take part. Think about that banking secrecy diaspora :mrgreen:

AlekS

Veteran

Our broadcaster's budget was cut in 2 in 2018, and again in 2019. There are literally no excuses left for RTL.
It's clearly somebody's personal position.
But I'm not saying they will never return. Things change. Even despite you think you know what happens next :twisted:

anto475

To me it's pretty clear: Luxembourg might return if the Dutch's slogan next year is "welcome to tax haven" and inconspicuous European newcomers such as Singapore, Bermuda, Mauritius and Cayman Islands take part. Think about that banking secrecy diaspora :mrgreen:

That slogan is reserved for the next time Ireland hosts, sorry.

John1

pitcairn islands are so going to hop on the esc family's train and barge in this whole party with tons of money bags and golden nuggets. xheat
iconic artists are reportedly already submitting plenty of entries for pitcairn islands. xheat

John1

Our broadcaster's budget was cut in 2 in 2018, and again in 2019. There are literally no excuses left for RTL.
It's clearly somebody's personal position.
But I'm not saying they will never return. Things change. Even despite you think you know what happens next :twisted:

Murphy's law i guess? :cz: came back, :sk: probably will, what about monaco and andorra and .... phew... luxembourg? can i even dare to dream? :lol:

A-lister

Veteran

They have a higher population than Malta, San Marino & Iceland who all consistently participate. Even when Iceland was declaring bankruptcy in 2009, they still took part. Luxembourg is supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world, It baffles me how a country that is so intertwined and invested in the EU and european cause, could refuse point blank to take part in something that unites and brings the entire continent together. It's total rubbish that the can't afford it, as you put it, if San Marino can do it, then they can. RTL just simply has 0 interest in Eurovision at all, Germany hosting 2011 didn't bring them back, I doubt the Netherlands hosting will and sadly they wont ever return to Eurovision. I think that much is clear. I will have to see it to believe it.

First things first, the wealth of a country is not necessary reflected in its public broadcaster (and vice versa), in fact considering the size of the country and its geographical position, the public broadcaster could even be underfunded (partly due to competition from larger neighbor countries' broadcasters that simply has "more to offer" and larger audience share).

Secondly, there must be a will, and clearly there is lack of in :lu: for whatever reasons. There are poorer countries where the state goes in and funds part of it regardless of the financial state of its broadcaster, then there are richer countries where the broadcaster is strictly budgeted and the state won't mix with such events, and I think the latter is true for :lu:.

Thirdly, while :lu: is one of the world's richest countries, we should not forget that a large portion of its wealth comes from being a tax haven and their banking "industry", yes on paper the country has a larger population than :is: and :mt: , but in reality a bunch of their population (just like with :mc: , :ad: , :sm: , :li:) are just registered in the country to avoid taxes, they might not even live their full time and thus not invested in local affairs like the local public broadcaster (which could be yet another explanation for it being underfunded), we shall not forget that :lu: is strategically positioned between larger rich countries and regions as :fr: , :de: and :be:/:nl: and people "flee" those tax systems and "settle down" (on paper) in :lu: , these people are only invested in themselves and the local banking system probably couldn't care less about the state broadcaster and events like ESC.

As for :lu: supposed "investment" in the EU, it all rings very shallow and predatory to me, after all they are one of the major benefitters even if they are super rich while "poorer" countries like :se: are paying to countries like :lu:, large part of the economy of this country is simply predatory (as described with the tax haven system)...

I'd love for :lu: to come back to the contest as I believe all European independent / recognized states should take part, but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

Top Bottom