Contact us

List of 2020 artists that will return for 2021

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to compile a list of every 2020 artist that will be featured in the upcoming 2021 contest (which I assume will be held in Rotterdam).

Returning artists, confirmed by the broadcaster:
:au: - Montaigne
:at: - Vincent Bueno
:az: - Efendi
:be: - Hooverphonic
:bg: - Victoria
:cz: - Benny Cristo
:ge: - Tornike Kipiani
:gr: - Stefania
:il: - Eden Alene
:lv: - Samanta Tina
:mt: - Destiny
:nl: - Jeangu Macrooy
:ro: - Roxen
:sm: - Senhit
:sl: - Ana Soklic
:es: - Blas Cantó
:ch: - Gjon's Tears
:ua: - Go_A

The following countries and/or artists have implied they will send the same act (no official confirmation from the broadcaster)
:hr: - Damir wrote on his instagram he'll be back for 2021
:ie: - Leslie Roy confirmed herself twice on a Facebook livestream after Europe: Shine A Light.
:pl: - OGAE Poland reports that TVP will send Alicja again.
:rs: - Insider reports state that Hurricane have been selected, but RTS won't announce until they have figured out the selection format.

The following countries will hold an NF, possibly to decide their participant and/or song.
:al: - FiK will be held at the end of december 2020. Arilena's involvement currently unclear.
:dk: - Dansk Melodigranprix, no guarantees or free passes for Ben or Tan.
:ee: - Eesti Laul confirmed, Uku autoqualified as a semifinalist.
:fi: - YLE will organise an UMK in 2021 - Aksel to join the line-up.
:lt: - Pabandom is naujo is back, The Roop are back, with a direct pass for the finale.
:no: - MGP is back, Ulrikke is not.
:se: - Sweden confirmed they'll use Melodifestivalen 2021 as the selection format. Not a word about the Mamas.

Likely to send a different act (no official statements have been yet made)
:by: - May hold Eurofest?
:is: - Daði & Gagnamagnið stated they would return via invite only, not via Söngvakeppnin. It is unclear what RUV will do rn.
:md: - Kirkorov really doesn't care which SovBot sings his songs, as long as it gets the job done.
:uk: - thanked James for "the work he's done"

Confirmed as not returning: (for now anyway)
:dk: - Ben & Tan
:it: - Diodato
:no: Ulrikke
:pt: Elisa
:se: The Mama's

Countries that could select the same artist for 2021 (No official statements have been yet made)
:am: / :cy: / :de: /:mk:

Secretive Pieces of Shit
:ru:

Please select a different artist section
:fr:

If you have any information about your country, feel free to share it here. Please also provide a source so the team and I can double check the validity of your claim.

Last edited:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
I think it would be fabulous to have as many artists as want to hang around hang around. I personally think we should be seeing ESC 2021 as ESC 2020. Given the late stage at which ESC 2020 got cancelled (to be clear, I have no issue with how this was handled - totally understandable given the situation), it seems insane to just say "well thanks for everything, but start again from scratch next year" and throw everyone out on the dustheap. I appreciate that it's kinda up to the countries themselves, but I do feel that I agree with those who have said they'd lose a lot respect for countries that just dump their act without a moment's thought. It's an unprecedented situation and we should be allowing 2020 entries next year if countries and artists want to.

Also, does this mean we won't get all our Senhit goodies now?? WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE BIG ISSUES... /sarcasm

Swedenvision

huge shame to Estonia and Sweden if they are indeed going on with plans to pick a different artist for next year, and any other country that does the same. So disrespectful.

I feel sorry for The Mamas too, but you need to understand Melodifestivalen is too big to be cancelled, for most pepole in Sweden Melodifestivalen is way more popular than Eurovision. Mello is a tradition and most needed in grey february ...

Also it's important for artists and record companies and for SVT in terms of revenue.
Would also effect the regular Melfest big sponsors...

It's of course easier for the countries that have internal selections.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I feel sorry for The Mamas too, but you need to understand Melodifestivalen is too big to be cancelled, for most pepole in Sweden Melodifestivalen is way more popular than Eurovision. Mello is a tradition and most needed in grey february ...

Also it's important for artists and record companies and for SVT in terms of revenue.
Would also effect the regular Melfest big sponsors...
Precisely. What SVT could do is offer the Mamas a slot in the 2021 line-up, but some countries have traditions that have to be upheld. Albania and Italy won't cancel FiK or San Remo, which have been going for ages. Norway won't cancel MGP, which they have hosted during years of relegation as well.

mauve

Veteran
huge shame to Estonia and Sweden if they are indeed going on with plans to pick a different artist for next year, and any other country that does the same. So disrespectful.
Same here. They should stumble in the semis and not qualify!!!

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think all of them should return. For most of them going to eurovision is SUCH a dream.

I mean I would LOVE to go to eurovision and represent my country (side note: I'm terrible singer). But hey, I just imagine having the opportunity to go, then it get's cancelled and the broadcaster doesn't invite to next years.

I mean... just be kind and respectfull.

Some countries did invite the same artist and I really do hope the majority will keep the trend.

Alaska49

Would also effect the regular Melfest big sponsors..
if melfest is bigger than eurovision then SVT should be fine with, you know, holding melfest in 2021 and not having the winner go to eurovision because the mamas have to go. you know RAI can keep diodato and sanremo will truck on without a care, and probably FiK could do it too, so why not melfest if it's so important? same for every NF that deems itself too important to not be held.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
if melfest is bigger than eurovision then SVT should be fine with, you know, holding melfest in 2021 and not having the winner go to eurovision because the mamas have to go. you know RAI can keep diodato and sanremo will truck on without a care, and probably FiK could do it too, so why not melfest if it's so important? same for every NF that deems itself too important to not be held.
this. plus it would be even easier because people would know they wouldn't be competing to go to the contest. if they want to take part of esc, they can wait for 2022. the chosen ones already went all through this and it shouldn't be for naught.

Swedenvision

Yes that could of course be a solution.
But at the same time we will lose the excitment of the competion and not sure how artists and viewers would respond to that.

It's complicated. :confused:

Last edited:

Nemo89

I lost the most again, my HUGE fave for 2020 - The Mamas.. :( xcry I will collapse..
I think Sweden is exulting instead. If they lost to Lundvik, do they win with his choristers? This is one of the weakest songs they have brought (although better than Dotter's).

• Hatrið
Reactions: Mrm

Nemo89

I just hope they don't reconfirm the 2020 songs. I speak on behalf of all lovers of good music or definitely win :it: or :lv: or :uk: xgaahI want to see healthy trash music win (they don't go well too: :ch: , :ge: , :mt:).The most avid eurofans are ready to lose even one of their favorite songs :az: (which I like too) and an absolute masterpiece like "Uno" :ru:xyaaay My biggest pain will be not seeing "It's 12 for me" x12pointsxclapfor "The Best In Me" xcry

Loindici

Veteran
Speaking about countries like :au: , I really hope they will still send Montaigne. I mean, aside of the events of COVID-19, SBS aren't a prosperous broadcaster themselves (... and I'm probably wrong, shoot me). They could select her internally just like the usual times they've sent an act in 2015-2018, or play Eden/Roxen for 2021.

(Aside of that, Montaigne literally wrote that she literally cried after the cancellation and will probably do that several more times. As a singer who dreams to go to Eurovision, I will do that, too, aren't we all?)

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Roxen was confirmed and added to the masterpost.

It looks as though Ireland won't go with Leslie Roy this time.

Finland will hold UMK, so no direct selection of Aksel, yet.

Top Bottom