Contact us

Lets help poor girl practice her english))

escandesc

Haven't you learned about the "magic E"? :O

I learned that in elementary school xD

well, in Turkey our dear(!) teachers only teach us grammar. I've never run into a teacher who also teaches pronunciation. :eek: and when you listen to a Turkish speaking, you can easily find out that. I know many people who are good at grammar but not good at pronunciation. I don't blame them, though. and I don't think that only your so-called ''magic E'' can do that btw.

Sultana

Sometimes I wish I were British or American or at least a native speaker of English. :lol: I've been learning English for 5 years ( I don't count English that I learned at primary school.) and still I make mistakes. When reading the news, I find out there are still some words I don't know, which makes me go crazy. And also, the pronunciation of English is really hard!!! I mean, in Turkish we don't change the pronunciation of a word when we add a suffix to it. In English, they do! Knowing the pronunciation of a word doesn't mean that you can always pronounce it correctly when added a suffix. Look at ''serene'' and ''serenity''. The suffix -ity changes the pronunciation. But why? :D The only thing that is easy about English is its grammar, I suppose. The rest is really hard. :D I don't know why I wrote this message btw. Anyway... I love English. :D

Well i find pronunciation easier than grammar. I make a lot of mistakes in it . But when I compare my native language and English I find the second easier ;) Because in my native there are a lot of different exepctions and rules. Sooo hard to write sometimes correct :(

ShoeFlo

Well, it's good to see, that I'm not the only person who has doubts about his English skills :D

I can imagine that's much harder for Turkish people to learn English than for German people like me... Turkish has a very different syntax and is a agglutinative language.

But I think English has some attributes which makes it easy to articulate ... less conjugation, no cases, short words etc. and you see or hear English words whatever you do or wherever you are... I think that's the reason why almost everybody is able to speak English in some way, although when it's not always grammatically correct.

However, I think it's a good advantage to spend time in forums like this, where you are confronted with English language and have to use it... Nobody needs special English lessons, if he is in an English Forum...

I'm sure that everybody who joins a Forum like this, will be able to speak decent English in a short time ;)

edit: oh I see the thread maker isn't turkish :eek:

Sultana

Well, it's good to see, that I'm not the only person who has doubts about his English skills :D

I can imagine that's much harder for Turkish people to learn English than for German people like me... Turkish has a very different syntax and is a agglutinative language.

But I think English has some attributes which makes it easy to articulate ... less conjugation, no cases, short words etc. and you see or hear English words whatever you do or wherever you are... I think that's the reason why almost everybody is able to speak English in some way, although when it's not always grammatically correct.

However, I think it's a good advantage to spend time in forums like this, where you are confronted with English language and have to use it... Nobody needs special English lessons, if he is in an English Forum...

I'm sure that everybody who joins a Forum like this, will be able to speak decent English in a short time ;)

edit: oh I see the thread maker isn't turkish :eek:
Epic fail isn't it?))))

Sultana

By the way for Eastern Europeans who speaks on Cyrillic it is hard too))

Verjamem

All languages with Latin alphabet, is hard to Balkan/Soviet people who are writing in Cyrilic :p

Gerly

Hello! =)
To continue with the topic, in my opinion the countries where the English movies are being sound translated, the people are more weak at English, than in the countries where only subtitles have been added. What do you think?
One of the victim is for sure Russia. And I would say also Poland. Even though Poland people English knowledge is way better than Russians. I am not referring to every person in Russia now :D Thats how it seems to me generally =)

Sultana

Hello! =)
To continue with the topic, in my opinion the countries where the English movies are being sound translated, the people are more weak at English, than in the countries where only subtitles have been added. What do you think?
One of the victim is for sure Russia. And I would say also Poland. Even though Poland people English knowledge is way better than Russians. I am not referring to every person in Russia now :D Thats how it seems to me generally =)
Most teenagers now watch American Serials and most of them are with subtitles or on native English there are also translations but as for me I prefer to watch with subtitles. And also threre are a lot of schools specializing on English. :)

LokoFan444

Agree with you Liza)
And especially about very troubles with grammar( But in Europa very much people do not follow the grammar rules/ For example slogan for ESC in Malmo "We are one" So. we can not speak this/

Top Bottom