Contact us

Lesser known / underrated anime

Fluke

Was gonna make a thread just about this first one, but it might as well be about lesser known anime in general. I can really recommend "Backstreet Girls" which is available on Netflix, it's a very funny and poignant satire about the J-Pop idol business and the entertainment industry in general, underneath the ridiculous concept it really makes a lot of good points, and it just gets funnier and funnier.

Also check out Beastars which is something very different, it's like a darker and more realistic take on Zootopia, and the plot just keeps on surprising with totally new twists every episode! Full spoilers in the video though if you worry about that...

Not exactly obscure, but you also got to see Evangelion, one of the most influential anime ever, and one of the few pre-2000 animes available on Netflix. It's just really epic sci-fi with a lot of depths, great and complex characters and it clearly even influenced a lot of western sci-fi like the X-Files and The Matrix at the time. Also, like the other two above, it's mercifully brief, unlike a lot of noughties anime juggernauts with hundreds of episodes.

So what anime do you recommend that aren't so well known?

tomos2019

Possibly even 90% of the anime I watch are lesser-known lol! Although arguably of course it's not that lesser known my favourite franchise is Digimon, I am however also a pretty big Shugo Chara! fan and miss it terribly, probably my favourite magical girl show although Cardcaptors is close! Though it never got dubbed in English as far as I know but funnily enough I don't really care too much, US dubs can be a bit hit and miss IMO though some are alright. I suppose as for anything else obscure I did years ago for a while watch Tentai Senshi Sunred which was kind of like a Japanese hero parody but I couldn't quite get to the end.

foldpaw

Well, I didn't see that anime before but when I saw the video. I'll gonna try giving it a shot.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
I am however also a pretty big Shugo Chara! fan
I SEE SHUGO CHARA! AND I'M HERE TO STAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite anime since 2008 and YES I recommend it despite the slightly exaggerated number of fillers!!!!!!! (avoid Party! though, that one sucks).

FelineVisions

I SEE SHUGO CHARA! AND I'M HERE TO STAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My favorite anime since 2008 and YES I recommend it despite the slightly exaggerated number of fillers!!!!!!! (avoid Party! though, that one sucks).
Same here! I really like Shugo Chara...Amu is the best, oh Yeah :)

Top Bottom