Contact us

LEBANON 2015 - not taking part

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

musicfan

I don't want :lb: (and other Arabic countries, like e.g. Jordan and Libya) in Eurovision, because
1.They aren't in Europe geographically or politically + they don't have any relations with European continent.
2.I don't like the attitude of Lebanon and other Arabic countries - "We can't take part, because some other country do it". I'm able to accept Armenian-Azeri tensions (at least, they both can participate at the same time, if contest is held on neutral place). But I won't accept a country, which don't recognize the other participant and can't participate together with them.
3.Personally - Extremely conservative country can be a threat for contest (and overall our continent).

Israel actually isn't European and they have conservative (to put it nicely) aspects that I don't like. They have also tried to make Eurovision political in the past and I believe their participation is more to promote Israel than any musical reason.

Verjamem

Israel actually isn't European
Yes, but Israel have a some connections with our continent.
they have conservative (to put it nicely) aspects that I don't like
Maybe they are also a bit conservative, but still Israel was able to send a transsexual person as country's representative. I really doubt, if other Arabic countries would ever do that.
They have also tried to make Eurovision political in the past and I believe their participation is more to promote Israel than any musical reason.
How Israel tried to make Eurovision political? I can remember only one evident incident, in 2000 with Syrian flag. They don't participate for music, but for promoting country? I would rather say it about other non-European ESC country :p

musicfan

Yes, but Israel have a some connections with our continent.

Maybe they are also a bit conservative, but still Israel was able to send a transsexual person as country's representative. I really doubt, if other Arabic countries would ever do that.

How Israel tried to make Eurovision political? I can remember only one evident incident, in 2000 with Syrian flag. They don't participate for music, but for promoting country? I would rather say it about other non-European ESC country :p

What about when just a short while after an attack on Palestinian people they had an arab and jewish person singing doing a peace duet? Even before that they had a push the button song about wanting peace. It's clear to me that they always want to push a nicer image of Israel to try and offset what they do every year. Doesn't affect me though as I know they have a state ruled by a military mentality and control, not what I would consider 'European' at all, certainly not in a Western European sense. The foundation and continuance of their state has been based on that, it must be ingrained into it. The creepy guy who seems the absolute ruler of Israeli Eurovision and always gets himself to present the results always annoys me too. I just have in the back of my mind are these people who are brainwashed into supporting the crimes against civilian people like so many of them are from childhood?

I think it's more of an Eastern mentality that Eurovision is a big political promotion. And for some really small countries in some instances. Not really for all of those that compete.

Lebanon is multi-ethic and multi-religious state.

Schlagerman1

Both Israel and Lebanon has both parts of their politic problems and to say one is better or worse than the other is not what people should decide, the parlaments actions just shows that themselves.
Israel has sent political songs, it is not surprising or something that Israelis or friends of them should or can hide. Especially 2007 is the one that comes to mind when they threaten Iran to "Push the button", the only reason why it wasn't disqualified is just that they don't mention any countries, names, or political or religious words in the song. Several israeli entries it is really easy to hear some deep political meanings, if you listen closely and also reading the hebrew parts in translation. 2014 entry has, if you think about the relationship between Palestine and Israel, you can get a grip of what some radical israelis think of Palestine. I don't blame Mei Finegold, or anyone in particular of bringing an secret message that is hidden to send out to Europe, but that in the hebrew part having that something should be "re-elected" and have an election later in the summer shows that it has something weird in it.
Still I can't help myself like the 2014 entry, but anyhow. :p

I would love to see Lebanon join, but it seems that they aren't ready yet, but when they are, I hope to see them! :)

IncognitoGH

Mei's song last year deserved to be in the final. Israel didn't get the votes for reasons. The song may not have been the best in all areas, but it should have qualified. If Lebanon joined, I think they would struggle. Politics and people just disconnect from these countries, especially in recent years. I don't agree with it.

Schlagerman1

Mei's song last year deserved to be in the final. Israel didn't get the votes for reasons. The song may not have been the best in all areas, but it should have qualified. If Lebanon joined, I think they would struggle. Politics and people just disconnect from these countries, especially in recent years. I don't agree with it.

If you think back to other "fan-fave" songs that failed in the past, they are not so different from Meis song. Popsongs with strong and "independent" female singers never does go so well in ESC. Just think about Iceland and Belgium 2006, Sweden 2008, Hungary 2011, and so on, has failed to qualify or qualified with help from jury or just narrowly and later come pretty low in the rankings in the final. I think that if Israel do send a really good song and has a good draw they can qualify. They have been unlucky, especially with the draws, in 2013 it was the first of three ballads in a row, just like Anna Bergendahl had in 2010, both got eliminated.

Of course some political parts of it is for sure a deal when it comes to when people votes. But it is not everything I think, it is a lot of things that decides when people are about to vote, so that saying that Israels recent failures is just about politics is completly wrong, it is many sides to one thing mostly. Lebanon could of course get a struggle, but it isn't impossible for them to make a decent result, all is about the songs in the end.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
quick question: why is this thread under "Conchita's cleveage" and not "ESC 2015"???

I think it was actually, but then moved.

Top Bottom