10 6.3%

5 3.2%

21 13.3%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Latvia-scaled.jpg

Schlagerman1

I'm sorry to disagree but all you say about Samanta - which I don't contradict - has nothing to do with the simple fact, that those lyrics are crap. That doesn't mean that Aminata is not talented, even talented people produce crap sometimes. One may like or love or hate a song - that's a matter of taste and difficult to discuss. But there are in fact objective criteria for the quality of lyrics. I don't bore you with enumerating them unless you'd like to discuss that in detail.

I don't think, she's changed the melody though because in that case she surely would have claimed her name also in the credits for music because that's how this business works. Even the slightest collaboration costs, because that's what artists live on.

If the song fits or does not fit the singer is a question of taste of course but it has more to do with the abilities of the singer to perform and interpret it rather than of the lyrics. Especially if the lyrics are that shallow as in this case. I don't see any specific allusion to #metoo it's rather a self empowerment song for a musician ("life is music, I'm a composer") and if you change one word (woman) it could be used for any person. So - no, this is not a song that was written to fit Samantha, these lyrics adapt easily to a lot of singers. So, neither do you need special attention to write lyrics for Samantha, nor is it rare to produce lyrics like these. If you look out for them you'll quickly find a bunch of songs with even similar words and phrases or a lot of songs Samantha could easily perform convincingly.

Nonetheless - bad lyrics are no reason to not enjoy a song. But enjoying a song doesn't make the lyrics better.

Hope I didn't bore you with that ;)

But that the lyrics is "crap" is a part of the song literally. It is meant to be bonkers, fun, hysterical and non-typical, that you can hear only in the melody and see in the performance that Samanta gives. Sometimes, "bad lyrics" can really make a song more special and unique. It is meant to mess with the heads of people that doesn't like these kind of songs. Sure, they could have pressed the female-empowerment thing further and sure they could have given her a lot more depth into the words, but at the same time, who cares?!

It is after all Eurovision, it is meant to have all kinds songs with different quality and different sounds. Latvia won't be my number 1, I already have Australia and the probable Italian song before it in my rankings already, but I like it. It took a few listens to finally get it, but I enjoy the melody, the insane dubstep moments, the charismatic Samanta Tina and I do like the lyrics, cause they help out the song, make it even more unique.

And to almost "forbid" people to like something is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. You haven't yet, but people here needs to think how they write what they think about the entries. I have seen a few people on the forum make comments that is meant to look down on some people and make them look bad, just because they like some songs and THAT NEEDS TO STOP. You are allowed to dislike it and I am sure, you definitely not alone, it will probably be one of the most divided songs in 2020. But let us who wants at least one song this year, be completly consumed by this madness for three minutes to do that.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
I'm sorry to disagree but all you say about Samanta - which I don't contradict - has nothing to do with the simple fact, that those lyrics are crap. That doesn't mean that Aminata is not talented, even talented people produce crap sometimes. One may like or love or hate a song - that's a matter of taste and difficult to discuss. But there are in fact objective criteria for the quality of lyrics. I don't bore you with enumerating them unless you'd like to discuss that in detail.

I don't think, she's changed the melody though because in that case she surely would have claimed her name also in the credits for music because that's how this business works. Even the slightest collaboration costs, because that's what artists live on.

If the song fits or does not fit the singer is a question of taste of course but it has more to do with the abilities of the singer to perform and interpret it rather than of the lyrics. Especially if the lyrics are that shallow as in this case. I don't see any specific allusion to #metoo it's rather a self empowerment song for a musician ("life is music, I'm a composer") and if you change one word (woman) it could be used for any person. So - no, this is not a song that was written to fit Samantha, these lyrics adapt easily to a lot of singers. So, neither do you need special attention to write lyrics for Samantha, nor is it rare to produce lyrics like these. If you look out for them you'll quickly find a bunch of songs with even similar words and phrases or a lot of songs Samantha could easily perform convincingly.

Nonetheless - bad lyrics are no reason to not enjoy a song. But enjoying a song doesn't make the lyrics better.

Hope I didn't bore you with that ;)
I basically agree with what you are saying, but I do find it odd to be working with some sort of hidden definition for what good lyrics are supposed to be and you even go so far as to claim that there are objective criteria for that. That is untrue. There are only different perspectives that, when taken together, form some sort of matrix with which you can work out if people are likely to ascribe certain qualities to it. This intersubjectivity is often indistinguishable from objectivity, but that doesn't mean that it's objective, especially not in music where the lyrics are intertwined with a whole auditory experience that can shape the meaning of those lyrics in various ways. You call these lyrics shallow and crap. I agree, but they do fit the song well.

Think of this as a work-out song, perhaps it may make those lyrics seem far more valuable than they would be disconnected from the song.

nudiecrudi

I awarded the song with 3 points with the possibility to upgrade, downgrade don't think.
Very courageous option. I do not dislike the mix of electro underground sound with some lyrics in rap.
In the same direction of Tryana Park, which I still listen when I work out in the gym ( only there tbh)
Trying to do the same thing with Samantha right now meantime I m working out but it is a bit different. Synth rythm isn't continuous enough to lift me up.
Feminist message I appreciate.
I think she is able enough to express what is the meaning without using sofisticated verses. Sometimes body language and self control are a better option then poor lyrics.

Sammy

Veteran
But that the lyrics is "crap" is a part of the song literally. It is meant to be bonkers, fun, hysterical and non-typical, that you can hear only in the melody and see in the performance that Samanta gives. Sometimes, "bad lyrics" can really make a song more special and unique. It is meant to mess with the heads of people that doesn't like these kind of songs. Sure, they could have pressed the female-empowerment thing further and sure they could have given her a lot more depth into the words, but at the same time, who cares?!

It is after all Eurovision, it is meant to have all kinds songs with different quality and different sounds. Latvia won't be my number 1, I already have Australia and the probable Italian song before it in my rankings already, but I like it. It took a few listens to finally get it, but I enjoy the melody, the insane dubstep moments, the charismatic Samanta Tina and I do like the lyrics, cause they help out the song, make it even more unique.

And to almost "forbid" people to like something is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. You haven't yet, but people here needs to think how they write what they think about the entries. I have seen a few people on the forum make comments that is meant to look down on some people and make them look bad, just because they like some songs and THAT NEEDS TO STOP. You are allowed to dislike it and I am sure, you definitely not alone, it will probably be one of the most divided songs in 2020. But let us who wants at least one song this year, be completly consumed by this madness for three minutes to do that.
Oh you did misunderstand me completely! By no means I intended to forbid people to enjoy whatever they enjoy or to look down on them.That would be an absolute no-go! I was only pointing out initially that the quality of the lyrics did not match Aminata's reputation. I reread my posts and really I have no idea where you got that feeling from but I'm sorry if I upset you.

P.S.:
The reason why I dislike the song btw. are not the lyrics. For me the whole song is too messy, that's all.

Sammy

Veteran
I basically agree with what you are saying, but I do find it odd to be working with some sort of hidden definition for what good lyrics are supposed to be and you even go so far as to claim that there are objective criteria for that. That is untrue. There are only different perspectives that, when taken together, form some sort of matrix with which you can work out if people are likely to ascribe certain qualities to it. This intersubjectivity is often indistinguishable from objectivity, but that doesn't mean that it's objective, especially not in music where the lyrics are intertwined with a whole auditory experience that can shape the meaning of those lyrics in various ways. You call these lyrics shallow and crap. I agree, but they do fit the song well.

Think of this as a work-out song, perhaps it may make those lyrics seem far more valuable than they would be disconnected from the song.
I didn't want to make my post too long that's why I didn't mention them, but in fact if you look into areas like comparative literature or theory of literature you'll find well established frameworks to discuss the literary value of a text, thus also of lyrics. (like the use of metaphores, the originality of the use of words, the concise wording of complex matters, the skillfulness of rime and rhythm, and many others). But as you say in-between those frameworks you can argue on the basis of your taste whether you weigh some of those criteria more or less when discussing a specific text in question.
And that's where subjectivity plays the big role. I didn't want to make it look like taste was something objective. But you can aknowledge the quality of a text even if you don't like it and you can see the low quality of another text, even if you like it.

Uto

Veteran
Two days without hype. What's going on people? Can't go sleeping on our girl Samanta now.

Loindici

Veteran
There's a Twitter post really hilarious anout Still Breathing but I haven't found the link, I'll search for it later

Nemo89

Intrigued by the reviews of many fans of "Still Breathing" I decided to listen to it ... I think it is a repetitive song that leaves you nothing but the sparkling show that Samanta Tina tries to give us.

Mrm

Veteran
BRAVO Samanta for Lithuanian performance! xclap 🙌

tuorem

As much as I like "I'm Still Breathing" and look forward to the live performance, I literally cannot play it on repeat.

Listening to it more than once is draining imo. Unlike what the title suggests, the track does not let the listener breathe. :ROFLMAO:

It was nice to see Samanta at the Lithuanian final. The backing vocalists sounded stronger tonight, that's cool.

Alaska49

upgrading this from 4 to 6 because her energy does stand out positively even with all of this song's flaws. i can't buhleef she is winning me over rofl.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I am defintely a gay mess because i have started to lowkey stan the rap interjection. I don't think I have ever made it through "LIFE = MUSIC, I AM A C O M P O S E R" without laughing my ass off.

Samanta Tina isn't a human being. She's a creature, a muppet, a cartoon. She is vulnerable to The Dip. She lives in a creepy manor in Duckburg with her sister Magica DeSpell. I hate her. And I love her.

Top Bottom