10 6.3%

5 3.2%

21 13.3%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Latvia-scaled.jpg

Kitakaze

Too jarring and too shouty. Much like Vilija’s Attention in 2014, too inaccessible for the average viewer to get behind, so I can’t see how it would do anything other than struggle to qualify. At least it’ll be more of a moment on stage than Carousel last year.

Ezio

Veteran
Didnt expect her to become such a huge Fanfavourite.

These six song snippets, in any order, sound like the Flops of 1992. Absolutely effing AWFUL!!

Sammy

Veteran
I couldn't agree with you less than I do right now. Surely there is many talented songwriters that might have understood with what to write to this song, but Aminata is one of them. And why you might ask?

Well, firstly, look at who is singing. Samanta Tina has got to be the wacky character with the weirdest songs that she goes totally all in for, but is just too crazy to work even for the Latvian people. To even have a chance on winning Supernova, she would need a song that is crazy enough to keep her brand, but still a song that shows off her talents. She has a massive voice that hasn't even been in display in the same way as it does in "Still Breathing", where she is raising the bar more and more and MOOOOORE. She is also extremly charismatic and that makes the song even stronger. I am sure that Samanta had the melody down, but she knew somehow that she needed a lyricist that would both bring her some publicitiy (Aminata is very successful for Latvia in ESC) but also that know and understands what kind of singer Samanta is and what the song is going to be about. And knowing after the #metoo-movement going throughout the world, then that is probably her biggest inspiration (also, she has seen two pro-women songs, "Toy" and "Proud" do very well in ESC, so yeah that inspired her too I suppose). So having two pretty wellknown women writing a female-empowering song might not be bad choice if you want to go far.

Sure, the lyrics aren't that special, that beautiful or different to be fair, but Aminata has probably, more or less, worked with Samanta to bring out the point of the song (which is to break old-fashioned and stereotyphical women roles) and made a song that fits Samanta like a glove. It is funny, it is wacky, it is very Eurovision but still pretty modern and actually has a deep message if you listen carefully to the few words that you can understand from Samantas strong accent (which is both an advantage and a disadvantage). It is not that many songwriters that would pull off and understand what to write to such a singer as Samanta..she is quite a rare act to be fair, with lots of flavour, and that needs to be pulled out in the right amount. So yeah, I believe that Aminata has probably mostly focused on the lyrics, but I am sure that she has tweaked the melody here and there, as has Samanta, who added a word or two, making it easier to sing it for her. That is how songwriters work, even if they on paper are standing on each side on the song.

So in conclusion, Aminata is a very talented songwriter, and I just know that she will probably write MANY latvian entries in the future, that fits the singer, even if it doesn't fit my or your taste.

I'm sorry to disagree but all you say about Samanta - which I don't contradict - has nothing to do with the simple fact, that those lyrics are crap. That doesn't mean that Aminata is not talented, even talented people produce crap sometimes. One may like or love or hate a song - that's a matter of taste and difficult to discuss. But there are in fact objective criteria for the quality of lyrics. I don't bore you with enumerating them unless you'd like to discuss that in detail.

I don't think, she's changed the melody though because in that case she surely would have claimed her name also in the credits for music because that's how this business works. Even the slightest collaboration costs, because that's what artists live on.

If the song fits or does not fit the singer is a question of taste of course but it has more to do with the abilities of the singer to perform and interpret it rather than of the lyrics. Especially if the lyrics are that shallow as in this case. I don't see any specific allusion to #metoo it's rather a self empowerment song for a musician ("life is music, I'm a composer") and if you change one word (woman) it could be used for any person. So - no, this is not a song that was written to fit Samantha, these lyrics adapt easily to a lot of singers. So, neither do you need special attention to write lyrics for Samantha, nor is it rare to produce lyrics like these. If you look out for them you'll quickly find a bunch of songs with even similar words and phrases or a lot of songs Samantha could easily perform convincingly.

Nonetheless - bad lyrics are no reason to not enjoy a song. But enjoying a song doesn't make the lyrics better.

Hope I didn't bore you with that ;)

Kaz

Can we have a moment to A. forget Funny Girl and That Night, and then B. appreciate Latvia as a country in Eurovision? Since Aminata’s slayage, they’ve been sending us these techno industrial bangers in the forms of Justs, Triana Park and now Samanta Tina. It’s a sound which is very distinctly Latvian to me now, and I’m so thankful that they fill this gap in the contest - there aren’t many other nations who are willing to take risks like Latvia.

Alaska49

i will forget this disjointed mess a million times over before i forget my dear brazilian goddess laura rizzotto and so will the eurovision juries THANKS

also the true latvian branding is katrina dimanta, if they could they'd send that every year lol

Mimmon

Veteran
i will forget this disjointed mess a million times over before i forget my dear brazilian goddess laura rizzotto and so will the eurovision juries THANKS

also the true latvian branding is katrina dimanta, if they could they'd send that every year lol
So imagine we sent Katrina Dimanta and we were in 1st semi... We would flop hard again.

Alaska49

So imagine we sent Katrina Dimanta and we were in 1st semi... We would flop hard again.
oh definitely, she would never qualify lmao. but that would never stop your public from voting for this kind of song every year. i think it's valid and a more respectable branding than, like, denmark and their boring twee slop. god bless latvia. xheart

Mimmon

Veteran
oh definitely, she would never qualify lmao. but that would never stop your public from voting for this kind of song every year. i think it's valid and a more respectable branding than, like, denmark and their boring twee slop. god bless latvia. xheart
I think we sent right person in my opinion but personally Heart beats also were bop.. But I don't think would do well

tuorem

Can we have a moment to A. forget Funny Girl and That Night

@anaraqueen xhelp

As much as I like Latvians going back to something punchier and instant, I personally didn't think Rizzotto and Carousel proved to be unworthy of Eurovision. Neither of them were my absolute fave during their respective edition, but I did appreciate the diversity they brought to the lineup: a sexy sultry James Bond-ish minimalistic electro tune on one hand, a cozy and organic jazzy ballad on the other hand.

This may or may not be an unpopular opinion, but I think Latvia is often mad underrated, especially compared with their Lithuanian neighbours who overall had much more support this last decade with much less interesting entries imo.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
@anaraqueen xhelp

As much as I like Latvians going back to something punchier and instant, I personally didn't think Rizzotto and Carousel proved to be unworthy of Eurovision. Neither of them were my absolute fave during their respective edition, but I did appreciate the diversity they brought to the lineup: a sexy sultry James Bond-ish minimalistic electro tune on one hand, a cozy and organic jazzy ballad on the other hand.

This may or may not be an unpopular opinion, but I think Latvia is often mad underrated, especially compared with their Lithuanian neighbours who overall had much more support this last decade with much less interesting entries imo.
we are never gonna forget brazilian visionary legend laura de carvalho rizzotto thank you

and its time to stream one more night

Mimmon

Veteran
Personal opinions of Brazilian Latvian and band called Carousel...

Funny Girl: Oh at first listen I didn't cought my attention but never was my favourite.But when comes to national stage it disappointing. Still to this day I consider last 'best' entry from Latvia.
That Night: To be honest if I think more about this,I keep accepting how they won. Juries that year wanted a 'radio friendly' I haven't heard in any radio playing this except ESC Radio. I think it was rigged voting in legal way.You see there was a band called Pilniga Laime who have bigger fandom and they said to vote for the Carousel because of friendship.

hijirio

Veteran
After Aminata, Justs, Triana Park and Laura Rizzotto, I was about to file an application for Latvian citizenship, then Carrousel happened. Thankfully, Queenmanta brought the country back on track. I worship.

LastDreamer

Banned
Speaking wonderful weird entries... This would make exception that it could be talk of the night for sure.
:lv: got the right winner in Eirodziesma 2012. xblush

• Fuego
Reactions: Mrm

Iker

Veteran
i mean the good thing about samanta winning is that we are free from her endless attempts and at least they did it on one of her least bad attempts. if only sweden had such courtesy when they got sanna nielsen out of the way. imagine if samanta had won last year? SHUDDER.

does this mean latvia will have to waste a year on markus riva someday? ew.

You couldn't possibly better encapsulate my thoughts regarding it. :D

blartashura

It's very very loud, and her voice is very strong and energetic which I think is a very great combo. I'm in love with the drop and the fringe outfit is a mega yes, suits the mood of the song.

Her English though is a bit hard to understand, it's cute but difficult to get what she's singing.

hijirio

Veteran
50 people in the poll serve T-A-S-T-E.

Top Bottom