Contact us

Kosovo KOSOVO 2020 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
ks.png

choda

Re: KOSOVO 2020

Spain for Catalonia as well, but these aren't the news. Every country that has problem with separatism has solidarity for country with similar problem

Mainshow

Veteran

Russia and China should be the last countries on Earth to be asked about a country's right to exist, tbh.

It's about the Eurovision Song Contest and imo, each country being allowed to take part should get a single yes/no vote, it should be transparent and open, and each country's vote should get the same value (like in Eurovision. Germany's or Russia's points don't count more than San Marino's vote).

Faroer Islands, btw,
“The Faroe Islands are not excluded by the definition that only independent nations can be a member.”
https://wiwibloggs.com/2018/12/30/t...rship-and-right-to-participate-at-eurovision/

Of course, Serbia should have a say on its terriority and tbh, I don't know whether I support Kosovo as an independent country or not but I accept the status quo. As a half Polish/half German being, I have to accept that both countries - Germany and Poland - recognized Kosovo as an independent country.

I would've understood another stance on this issue if Kosovo hadn't been recognized by a majority of European countries and hadn't been taken part in other competitive events for years.

Fun fact: Greece despite not recognizing Kosovo, did take part in the same competition like Kosovo back in 2011: EUROVISION Young Dancers (@Stiven) + Russia as part of the jury.

That's why I don't get the argument that countries like Greece, Russia cannot take part in Eurovision when Kosovo takes part, etc.

choda

That's your opinion. On other hand, same you say about China an Russia i say about USA. I can say it from my angle, where my country suffered bombing during 99' where civils were intentionally bombed. They have shot PEDESTRIAN bridge, passengers in train, passengers in the bus killing them instantly, a lot of houses, killed a lot of children... People are dying from uranium-caused cancer that poisoned teritorry of Serbia, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Albania...
I understand your point, because of you German and Polish roots, and i know your relations with Russia ond historical point so please respect my point of view because of my Serbian roots, as well as of friendship with Russia and China,as well as dislike for USA.
Everything that people from western Europe think about Balkans is pure propaganda. I live here and it is not even close to it. As well as to living in Russia.
About Greece, Spain, Russia etc it is not at all about them. It is just about Serbia. It may not be problem for Greece to take part, but for Serbia it would be big defeat. Teritorry with cultural and historical heritage is not for playing. I believe new generations can live at least in peace, Serbs and Albanians will not live in love definetely, but politicians are opstructing living in peace.

For example, in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbs, Croats and Bosnian Muslims lived in peace, love and harmony until politicans ruined everything. Balkans are quite sensitive teritorry, and reception of any country here is quite more complicated than Australia, Kazakhstan...

Mainshow

Veteran

Not sure how much politics are allowed here but tbh, there's no much propaganda around (at least in Germany when it comes to the Balkan countries). Actually, I know many people and media outlets condeming NATO's bombing on Serbia. I don't like American foreign policies either but Russia and China did annex territories illegally despite neglecting other states' existence (e.g. Tibet/Taiwan, Crimea, Abkahzia, South Ossetia). That's why I think that your point was lacking.

I can totally get where you are coming from and I do fully understand and value your opinion - since - as a Serbian citizen - you are in a very different position and directly effected; I just don't get the point of the EBU - that's what I wanted to say with all my posts. Politics aside, it still doesn't make sense to me to see a team from Kosovo playing football being "alright" whilst an artist singing on stage from Kosovo is "forbidden".

@mods
Pls accept that a bit of politics are part of this discussion because neglecting Kosovo's right to participate in Eurovision was a political vote carried out by EBU members and I think it was also interesting to read different and justified opinions.

Milos-BC

Regardless of what I think about Kosovo in general (my opinion is the same as the opinion of every other person from :rs:), this was the best decision for the future of the contest. And it was obvious that this initiative will not pass.

Having Kosovo on Eurovision would open Pandora's box and the consequences would be devastating for the entire competition. While the ultimate goal is to avoid having politics in a contest like this (or at least minimize its effects), the truth is - we would allow politics to directly interfere with the competition.

And it wouldn't just stop there, it would directly open the door for other regions like Catalonia and others.

The way Kosovo even got a status like this is a story of its own and if I would extend the story to its full limit, we would turn this into a political arena which is why it's best to conclude that this was a moral and the only logical decision in circumstances like these.

EBU already has plenty of problems, they don't need new ones.

Mainshow

Veteran

BTW, doesn't the vote only mean that Kosovo can't become a full member of the European Broadcasting Union because it's not part of the UN yet?
I mean, after the caused commotion it's unlikely... But the Steer Group of the EBU as well as the host broadcaster can invite Kosovo or am I mistaken? Like how they did with Australia and what would also be the case with Kazakhstan someday as long as the EBU area won't get extended again.

Milos-BC

As it stands now, Kosovo needs to be a part of the UN to participate, yes.

Any invitation of Kosovo is very unlikely to happen because otherwise, there wouldn't be organized voting now. Kosovo is not the same case as Australia nor would their debut have the same effect either.

Fierro

EBU doesn't need more political scandals and discussions around that. I don't have anything against Kosovo and its citizens btw, but it's obvious that inclusion of this region to Eurovision would cause some drama. Maybe there's time needed. Would be the same for Catalonia (although it isn't recognized at all yet)

JohnyKaz

Exactly. I believe it's better if they stay out for now. But if the problem is sorted out I would love to see them in ESC :D

GRE

:hr::hu::me::mk::sl::tr::uk: were the countries that strongly supported Kosovo.
On the other hand, :gr::cy::es::dz::ro: were against.

Mainshow

Veteran

It's funny how a country such as Algeria can be so vocal on preventing a country from participating in Eurovision whilst it's been basically absent all the time.

Personally, I think it's interesting to see that most fromer Yugoslavian countries were strongly in favor of it.

Stiven

Simply don't vote for it and place it last on the "professional juries" list?

Turkey managed to show the flag of Cyprus and let it participate when the contest was held in Istanbul 2004. Other countries shouldn't get pissed off because of a flag being shown and a listening to a song for 3 minutes representing a country which had been recognized by 22/28 Eu members

Unfortunately I couldn't reply on time but better late than never.
That's not a very good idea I don't want Kosovo to have a botched debut like Turkey did. It could stain the popularity of the contest for decades like it did for Turkey.
Speaking of Turkey in the start it actually censored the Cypriot entries from its broadcasting until tensions cooled down between the two.
Fun fact: Greece despite not recognizing Kosovo, did take part in the same competition like Kosovo back in 2011: EUROVISION Young Dancers (@Stiven) + Russia as part of the jury.
That's why I don't get the argument that countries like Greece, Russia cannot take part in Eurovision when Kosovo takes part, etc.
Greece was never radically anti-Kosovo as Serbia is and while we don't know the results from the contest Kosovo didn't do great and it never returned to the contest.
It's about the Eurovision Song Contest and imo, each country being allowed to take part should get a single yes/no vote, it should be transparent and open, and each country's vote should get the same value (like in Eurovision. Germany's or Russia's points don't count more than San Marino's vote).
That's not a very good idea it could set broadcaster against broadcaster and lead to other problems. For example in 2007-2009 Palestine wanted to join however it was rejected on the grounds that it wasn't an ITU member now imagine if it tried again under the rules you proposed alongside with Kosovo, despite having more countries recognising it and being a member of more international organisations it would likely fail because it's mostly eastern backed while Kosovo a mainly western backed country could join freely if all broadcasters follow their governments it would not look good on the EBU which is why I prefer the current rules to stay.

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

My opinion of Kosovo aside. (Reminder that politics are not allowed btw)

Kosovo should be able to debut once all questions regarding its sovereignty are resolved. That's a matter primarily for the relevant parties in Kosovo, Serbia, EU/UN etc to work out. Once those questions are solved, then they would be welcomed in.

It's important not to rush these things.

choda

It is impossible to make analogies with any other country that participates, because it is not a souvereign state. It is still considered as a part of Serbia, under special surveillance. It is not about Russia, Greece, Spain, Ukraine etc.
Some people are feeling sorry for some performers that are Kosovo-born that they will be unable to participate. All Albanians from there could represent Albania, aldo all of famous names from there like Dua Lipa and Rita Ora made career somewhere else. It is not an obstacle for them to participate at ESC, i think that they just doesnot have interesent.
Ok, if EU countries recognized it 22/28. It could be 28/28, but if Serbia doesnt recognize it, it still isnt solved. Eurovision is consisted also from non-EU countries. And still, it is not a member EU, nor UN.

John1

I'm still gutted that :dz: voted against Kosovo being a part of the EBU, while they aren't even participating. xshifty

Loindici

Veteran

Nevermind me, but Kosovo entering would add some more voting mishaps like 12 points to Albania and last place to Serbia and vice versa. I'm kind of glad their participation will not come through this year, just yet.

Top Bottom