Kosovo KOSOVO 2020 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
ks.png

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Re: KOSOVO 2020

Apparently the vote on their membership has been delayed AGAIN to December.

Mainshow

Veteran

It's getting ridiculous.
The EBU is about to change the criteria for applying/accepting new members and they will be voting on this change... Under the new rules, interested broadcasters have to apply again. This means that Kosovo's first application becomes invalid and they have to do all requirements once again.

It's pathetic that they simply don't accept Kosovo. It's tragically funny that Kosovo is allowed to take part in the European Games in Minsk but probably not allowed to sing and perfom in the Netherlands 2020.

It's disappointing and utterly disgusting

GRE

Kosovo also participated in the Olympic Games in 2016, and moreover is participating in the preliminary round of Euro 2020.
But in Eurovision is not allowed to participate !

tomos2019

I try not to pick a side on these things but I'm afraid I have to agree. Yeah I don't want major drama with Serbia and Kosovo in the contest but the whole ''sovereign state'' rule seems a bit outdated to me now anyway considering we have Australia and things like that, plus Kosovo is recognised by lots of countries nowadays.

GRE

So,
no Kosovo in the near future.
673 voted no, 400 yes, 113 neutral.
They have to be part of United Nations first.

Citelis

Allowing a disputed territory that is not member in UN to join would be dangerous and that's why countries like Spain, Greece, Cyrpus, Serbia were strongly against the changes that would make Kosovo able to join.

WhoKnows

So,
no Kosovo in the near future.
673 voted no, 400 yes, 113 neutral.
They have to be part of United Nations first.

Did they release the breakdown of how countries voted?

Mainshow

Veteran

So, all in all
Kosovo can be part of

EUROVISION Young Dancers
UEFA EURO
The Olympics
European Games

but not the Eurovision Song Contest because of what? the UN? By a questionable organization which made Saudi Arabia the leader of the UN HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL hahaha

choda

Kosovo cannot be part of EBU, because it is not part of UN.
I know a lot of you want to expand a number of Eurovision countries, but if EBU recognized Kosovo, they would lose all of their credibility.
First argument: you don't know situation down there, i know, because my decent is from Kosovo, i lived there and i had to move from there as a child, because of political tensions, it was unsafe to live there. I still have cousins there, whom i visit oftenly, and situation is still quite tense. Teritorry that is under international supervision cannot be treated as independent one. A lot of countries that recognized Kosovo know completely nothing what happened there during the past and even in presence. How could some random country, for example Zimbabwe or Antigua and Barbuda be relevant for something that happens on the Balkans?

Second argument: Serbs and Albanians are far away from any kind of deal. Goverment made 100 % taxes on food, medications and all other products from Serbia, which provides a lack of supply for Serbians that live in northern part of Kosovo.

Third argument: I see Kosovo as part of s Serbia, while some Albanian person will se it as independent state. There is not such country on Eurovision (Arm and Aze are not example - they are arguing over the same teritorry - this is a "country in a country" syndrome)

Forth argument: there is no point of making double Albania on Eurovision. Albanians from Kosovo and Albanians from Albania are same nation. It is like allowing Albania to send two entries. Serbian entry would not be allowed to represent "Kosovo", apperently because of political situation. We had Rona Nishliu for Albania, and Nevena for Serbia. Many of you will connect this with Serbia - Montenegro. And i agree. Because they are the same nation, and all of this what is happening between Srb and Mne is pure politics. A lot of people that live in Mne declare themselves as Serbs.

tuorem

but if EBU recognized Kosovo, they would lose all of their credibility.

Do they have any to begin with though? :D

I don't have any clear stance on Kosovo in Eurovision, but the EBU are such a mess in general your sentence cracked me up. :lol:

blartashura

Oh too bad that the changes in the statuses of EBU couldn't happen, but oh well maybe next year.

Mainshow

Veteran

The EBU has already lost all of their crediblity for not letting Kosovo debut.
Most countries of the EBU have arleady recognized Kosovo as an independent state.
It's no problem for Spain, Greece, Serbia, Cyprus to participate TOGETHER WITH KOSOVO in other events, like UEFA Euro, The Olympics which are - let's be honest here - way more popular, well-received and prestigious than the Eurovision Song Contest - but when it comes to letting an independent artist who's not connected with politics at all perform their song for 3 minutes... that's too much to take for these countries?! - That's ridiculous.

I'm glad you also agree that the United Nations shouldn't have a say on this issue.
The EBU has already asked EBU members from the Ex-Yugoslavian countries.. so countries which "know something what happened there during the past and even in presence" and apart from Serbia and Bosnia and Herzeogina (which doesn't even take part anymore), no country had a problem with it.

Inside the European Broadcasting Union we do have members which do recognize other territories as independent states, though, e.g. Russia (Abkhazia, South Ossetia) and Turkey (Northern Cyprus) - When it comes to Armenia and Azerbaijan - none of them recognizes Artsakh/Karabakh as an independent state.

Forth Argument: Do you want to ban Moldova and Cyprus from participating from now on as well? Because Cypriots and Greeks are from the same nation and Moldovans and Romanians as well.

Stiven

Well I'm pretty glad the motion didn't pass through not because of Kosovo, but because if passed it would have opened a can of worms with other secessionist movements.
It's no problem for Spain, Greece, Serbia, Cyprus to participate TOGETHER WITH KOSOVO in other events, like UEFA Euro, The Olympics
I don't want to annoy you, but in most of those events Kosovo is separated as much as from the countries that don't recognise it, while in Eurovision the EBU can't do that.

Mainshow

Veteran

Well I'm pretty glad the motion didn't pass through not because of Kosovo, but because if passed it would have opened a can of worms with other secessionist movements.

I don't want to annoy you, but in most of those events Kosovo is separated as much as from the countries that don't recognise it, while in Eurovision the EBU can't do that.

Simply don't vote for it and place it last on the "professional juries" list?

Turkey managed to show the flag of Cyprus and let it participate when the contest was held in Istanbul 2004. Other countries shouldn't get pissed off because of a flag being shown and a listening to a song for 3 minutes representing a country which had been recognized by 22/28 Eu members

choda

So they have asked all the countries that had problems with Serbia in past - is it relevant? Only one side of the story is let to be heard. Serbian and Croatian politicians for example doesn't have good relationships, and both will do anything to annoy the other side.
Slovenia can't be relevant - it is not even close to it. If they have asked Hungary, why they didn't ask Romania?

EBU would lose its credibility if they hurt thr Constitution of one of its members, in this case Serbia.
About UEFa, you also have Gibraltar, Faroe Islands, in FIFA you have also French Guyana. You can't just listen to one side of the story. Serbia must have a word about its part of teritorry. If you make a calculation, you have more countries has recognized Kosovo than the number that didn't. Ok. But if you calculate the number of population of countries that didn't recognize Kosovo, you will have around 5 billion of people that didn't recognize it.
Two out of three biggest forces in the world, Russia and China didn't recognize it.

Citelis

The real reson Greece and Cyrpus were strongly against is not Kosovo itself but the danger, in case a non UN member joins, that some countries could try to force Occupied Cyrpus to join.

Top Bottom