Kordavian Islands - <NSC 227> - Лея - »Мара«

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Re: SmiFo has changed --- From NSC 135 --- Kordavian Islands

Love the new name. :D Can't wait to see the new flag. xcheer

Salmon

Re: Kordavian Islands

Ehhhhh... let's just say I liked the name change better than the flag change. ^^

Keko

Please don't take this gesture the wrong way, but I took the liberty of fixing the flag up a bit. Mainly size, distortion, pixelization and edges. It's under the spoiler tag because of the size.

I hope you like it!

EurovisionSmile

Veteran

[MENTION=4433]Keko[/MENTION] I did not take it the wrong way, actually, I must thank you for your gesture. xheart Looks much better now, thank you very much!

as78

Awesome flag! xheart xbow

though not sure how it will look in small size, it's pretty detailed...

Keko

Oh yay I'm glad you liked it! I was worried that I was intruding on your personal work.

though not sure how it will look in small size, it's pretty detailed...

Many real world nations have pretty detailed coats of arms on their flags. Details and size really aren't the issue here, it's not like you're making a brand logo.

VFn5zIf.png

lFZUUh1.png

19KZBl9.png

X7FqZjY.png

YWcx4nR.png

Sure the clarity of the illustration is completely lost, but the general aesthetic is pretty clear. It's still easy to recognize which flag it is and you wouldn't confuse it for another. Which is all you really need to worry about with the flag.

anselm

Krešo's edit helped a bit but I'm really not a fan of flags just being random pics found on the internet tbh. The new name is a big improvement though. :mrgreen:

EurovisionSmile

Veteran

Krešo's edit helped a bit but I'm really not a fan of flags just being random pics found on the internet tbh. The new name is a big improvement though. :mrgreen:

The flag is everything BUT random. It's related to our nation's history and was chosen according to that. ;)

Last edited:

EurovisionSmile

Veteran

In any case, our nation's new name plus the flag have been chosen. Slowy other details will be revamped, for now, it's a new stage of ::slf existence, when we're about to celebrate 2 years (in a few weeks) in the main roster. xheart xacademic

Tinchey

Nooo I loved Smileyland... it was creepy and the flag always gave me chills. :(

dogmeat

Oh yay I'm glad you liked it! I was worried that I was intruding on your personal work.

Many real world nations have pretty detailed coats of arms on their flags. Details and size really aren't the issue here, it's not like you're making a brand logo.

VFn5zIf.png

lFZUUh1.png

19KZBl9.png

X7FqZjY.png

YWcx4nR.png

Sure the clarity of the illustration is completely lost, but the general aesthetic is pretty clear. It's still easy to recognize which flag it is and you wouldn't confuse it for another. Which is all you really need to worry about with the flag.

I disagree.

First, flags have even stricter rules applying to them than brand logos. They're supposed to be instantly recognizable, even when flying on a pole 3km away. Yes, some national flags have coats of arms on their flags, but they're recognizable despite them, not thanks to them. People only recognize Spanish flag due to a characteristic red-yellow-red color scheme and they're only vague aware there's "some symbol in the middle... or was it on the left... whatever..". Croatia's coat of arms has some very detailed elements, but I needed to google it to even know about them. It's the simple checkered pattern that creates Croatia's visual identity.

What irks me here are the unnecessary graphic effects, like the light beams, shadows and some picture overlaid on the yin yang. They work well in the original size, but at 1:8 the tiger and dragon become unreadable and at 1:16 so does the yin yang. You don't want a flag to lose all of its symbolism when resized or looked at from a distance.

When designing a flag, you should convey as much meaning as you can with as little as your can. And strictly stick to your palette of colors (that means no shadows, gradients, etc). Kordavian Islands' flag can be redesigned to carry the same meaning while being much simpler.

EurovisionSmile

Veteran
Re: Kordavian Islands --- NSC 136 --- Blutengel -- "Reich mir die Hand"

sor0wn.jpg

[MENTION=4630]dogmeat[/MENTION] would increasing the central image make it more visible? xcrazy I've tried, but I'm not an expert here. (not at all :?)

strajker

Meanwhile, ::wsn.

Cool new flag! :D

Keko

There was a 1,200 words post here, now it's gone.

Good entry this edition tho, kinda of a guilty pleasure.

Top Bottom