Contact us

Kazakhstan KAZAKHSTAN 2023 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Ajeje Brazorf

Yeah and very very recently they had a government that found that decision stupid and reverted it.
It's obviously not a democratic heaven, but I think instead of alienating them, we can actually let them in and thus they will familarize themselves with Europe and integrate better. Cuz they actually want to join the family, they make great efforts for it. Why fence off somebody who actually wants to join you and learn from you, and also teach you what they are better at? It will be a win-win situation after all.

Because the opposite is more possible... Countries with dictatorships the facto have always brought problems in Eurovision. Tell me one country led by a dictator which hasn't been problematic for EBU and when you find the answer you will probably understand why a lot of people are against Kazakhstan in Eurovision... I think EBU is tired of managing the same shitty issues every single year and rightfully so.

Last edited:

FilipFromSweden

And how is it better when odds favourites are given good spots and lesser entries are buried for the sake of a "good show". Looks like there's winner and losers on each side.

Change is good when done well. Production planned draw could be improved if bias killing factors are introduced.
If Sertab can win the televote by going out as 4th, any song can win at any position. What would be a bias killing placement for a song placed in the second half?

empo21

Veteran
If Sertab can win the televote by going out as 4th, any song can win at any position. What would be a bias killing placement for a song placed in the second half?

The fact that your example is from 2003, an edition, btw, in which the recap starts from the last song towards the first.

So are you for or against production picked draw? I'm confused.

Ezio

Veteran
Yeah, Sertab probably pulled it off with the help of diaspora in a very close race. Otherwise, Belgium could have been the winner of 2003.

FilipFromSweden

The fact that your example is from 2003, an edition, btw, in which the recap starts from the last song towards the first.

So are you for or against production picked draw? I'm confused.
I'm for it, because fans always go on and on about how the winner needs to have a good slot and yet in the last 10 years we've seen winning positions be #10 (out of 27), #11 (twice), #12. I just hate that the random draw can potentially destroy the flow of the show.

Jamala's 1944 stood out more going out late because it was so distinctively different visually and rhytmically from every other conventionally attention-seeking entry that night, would it have been as impactful if it went out as #1 or #2? Absolutely not. Or imagine if Finland and Italy went up back to back in 2021, it would've just given both songs less televote points.

Top Bottom