Contact us

Kazakhstan KAZAKHSTAN 2023 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

dizzydjc

I would love to see them finally debut, come on EBU.. make it happen

dixenborg

Kazakhstan have a very clear path to Eurovision participation open to them. As a state with European territory they could be members of the Council of Europe and therefore eligible to be active members of the EBU.

Unfortunately they can’t join the Council because of their hunan rights record and legislation.

When they sort themselves out they are welcome to join the EBU and participate as active members but I don’t want to see them before then.

HarryUK

Veteran
We've just gotten rid of 2 countries with a shocking human rights record, don't fancy letting another one into our celebration of tolerance and equality with an appalling record...

A-lister

Veteran
Same story every year, I think Kazakhstan should be invited to join, and especially now with the void of Eastern Slavic and Turkic nations taking part and with them showing at least some ambition to move out from ruZZia's toxic sphere.

But yeah, we know already EBU won't invite them so...

StephenMuckle

Interesting article today from SBS. The article is about the UK hosting but one line in the article says "Performers from across Europe and Central Asia as well as Israel and Australia". Slight hint being dropped here.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Interesting article today from SBS. The article is about the UK hosting but one line in the article says "Performers from across Europe and Central Asia as well as Israel and Australia". Slight hint being dropped here.

maybe they meant the caucasus nations, even though they are not in central asia...

anyway, i doubt they have any information about kazakhstan right now.

A-lister

Veteran
maybe they meant the caucasus nations, even though they are not in central asia...

anyway, i doubt they have any information about kazakhstan right now.

Yeah most probably an ignorant mix up of Caucasus and Central-Asia but I cross my fingers it's not and we actually get Kazakhstan (unless it's a mix up with jESC).

Mainshow

Veteran
Theoretically, EBU´s argument of Kazakhstan not using a seperate landline/phone code is null and void since RuZZia won´t be participating in the near future.

Since we may see a decrease of participants this year (I somehow expect North Macedonia, Montenegro and Bulgaria to withdraw) and Kazakhstan´s president has come back to more democratic values, I don´t think that inviting Kazakhstan would harm anyone anymore. + their efforts at JESC, I´d say.. give it a try - they can still uninvite them in 2024.

A-lister

Veteran
Theoretically, EBU´s argument of Kazakhstan not using a seperate landline/phone code is null and void since RuZZia won´t be participating in the near future.

EBU has been constantly making up "arguments" not to allow Kazakhstan, they are all null and void since the same arguments don't apply to other countries that already take part.

The Broadcasting Area - This argument is by default null and void in this time and age, and even if it would matter, Australia says hi and debunks it completely.

Democracy and Human Rights - EBU doesn't care about this, Azerbaijan says hi, Turkey says hi (a country that EBU longs to bring back), and some others say hi too. russia wasn't kicked out due to democracy levels within the country, nor was belarus.

Interest in the contest - This is such a vague one, but if measured in public interest as a requirement alone, then EBU could start kicking out countries that take part already. Kazakhstan has been broadcasting Eurovision for what, 10 years now? 15? Without even taking part. Also, if jESC is any measurement of interest, I'd say they clearly has it.

Member of European Council - Ehm, Australia says hi. Israel only has observer status and belarus was never a member in the first place.

Not geographically in Europe - Well, the geography book says hi, Kazakhstan do have a geographical part in Europe, while some other active countries don't (Israel and Australia say hi for instance). Regardless, this is not an official requirement by the EBU anyways.

Time Zones - Didn't stop russia from taking part from the 90's up until recently and Australia says a big hello again!

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
I'm glad that some fans are not satisfied with Kazakhstan's absence (and are quite vocal about this).

As long as the EBU doesn't provide any good reasons, it's not making them look good at all.

You can be in favor or against Kazakhstan in Eurovision but it's clearly just an arbitrary choice to not let them debut at this stage.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Same procedure every year, I guess see you guys in the thread next year, EBU's bias will continue.

As I wrote in another thread, it is a bit surprising still that EBU don't seize this opportunity. There is only one Eastern Slavic country left after the evil empire and its puppet was rightfully kicked out, but still leaving a cultural void in the contest. The same can be said about Turkic countries where we only have one left. Kazakhstan would fill some of this void and also bring a little central-Asian flavor to the contest.

EBU always talk big about diversity, but it's clear to see that there is no true diversity here, it's a monoistic view on European culture and only room form westernized, English language, often Swedish produced, Pop music for most parts and an image of Europe as only "western European".

As I already said plenty of times, EBU have no valid arguments for not allowing Kazakhstan, all that were ever used so far can be easily debunked as just nonsense talking points without substance (see my previous post).

Also, with the country having some western and democratic ambitions and might be important in the near future to diversify gas imports to Europe, isn't it smarter from a geopolitical point of view to bring them into the family? Sure, Eurovision is no guarantee for change, but in some cases it does help actually. We shouldn't forget that Eurovision started partly as a political project to bring Europe together, and in many ways it has been helping to build bridges and changing perceptions.

Oh well, next year same place same discussion same outcome.

elanyvx

Maybe EBU makes fun of Kazakhstan every year, so that they take part in the JESC hoping to have a positive opinion for Eurovision. But the situation has been the same for 5 years. We will see in 2023, when the telephone area code will be officially unique for the country.

Top Bottom