Contact us

Kazakhstan KAZAKHSTAN 2022 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Lance Esgard

I may have tracked down a possible reason Kazakhstan hasn't been allowed in. I don't think this is common knowledge, so I've posted this. Sorry for getting a bit bureaucratic here...

At first I thought there was a total double standard because Australia is in but isn't part of geographical Europe, unlike Kazakhstan, but like Kazakstan both are only an associate member of the European Broadcasting Union and isn't in the European Broadcasting Area (being a requirement for full EBU membership).

This seemed to be an even greater double standard when I found out about Armenia having been able to make their Eurovision debut in 2006 before Armenia became part of the European Broadcasting Area in 2007.

It turns out there is there is another way to be a full EBU member. Armenia could debut without being part of the European Broadcasting Area because they were part of an organisation whose members are eligible for full members (and so an Armenian broadcaster became a full EBU member in 2005).

Full membership of the EBU requires being a part of the European Broadcasting Area OR being a member of the Council of Europe, which Armenia joined in 2001.

Kazakhstan is not part of the European Broadcasting Area and is also not a member of the Council of Europe and so fails on both counts. The difference with Australia is Kazakhstan has failed to meet the standards of membership, while Australia does meet those standards but just aren't geographically eligible to join.

So if there's some rule-based reason the EBU uses to justify not letting them in maybe it has to do with that, much as I would disagree. They're good to go for JESC, after all...

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am fully ready for another year of losing my shit every time there's the vaguest of sniffs that Kazakhstan may have inched ever so slightly closer to Eurovision. Let's do this everyone xheat

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I may have tracked down a possible reason Kazakhstan hasn't been allowed in. I don't think this is common knowledge, so I've posted this. Sorry for getting a bit bureaucratic here...

At first I thought there was a total double standard because Australia is in but isn't part of geographical Europe, unlike Kazakhstan, but like Kazakstan both are only an associate member of the European Broadcasting Union and isn't in the European Broadcasting Area (being a requirement for full EBU membership).

This seemed to be an even greater double standard when I found out about Armenia having been able to make their Eurovision debut in 2006 before Armenia became part of the European Broadcasting Area in 2007.

It turns out there is there is another way to be a full EBU member. Armenia could debut without being part of the European Broadcasting Area because they were part of an organisation whose members are eligible for full members (and so an Armenian broadcaster became a full EBU member in 2005).

Full membership of the EBU requires being a part of the European Broadcasting Area OR being a member of the Council of Europe, which Armenia joined in 2001.

Kazakhstan is not part of the European Broadcasting Area and is also not a member of the Council of Europe and so fails on both counts. The difference with Australia is Kazakhstan has failed to meet the standards of membership, while Australia does meet those standards but just aren't geographically eligible to join.

So if there's some rule-based reason the EBU uses to justify not letting them in maybe it has to do with that, much as I would disagree. They're good to go for JESC, after all...
As much as you may be right, the EBU has no leg to stand on given they have invited them to Junior Eurovision again and again and have seen the positive impact they've had on the contest there.

It's only a matter of time before they join I feel, I just hope the EBU sees sense in 2022. Their hands may be tied if anyone else decides to quit or if nobody comes back.

DenizESC

Banned
QazaQ will prevail, I don't even think ESC deserves them genuinely jsfjnksdnjksdjk but they need some promotion for their country, I'll be waving my QazaQ flag when they enter finally :kz: :love: I don't need any other country in ESC pls just Qazaqdar :( allow them in

John1

As much as you may be right, the EBU has no leg to stand on given they have invited them to Junior Eurovision again and again and have seen the positive impact they've had on the contest there.

It's only a matter of time before they join I feel, I just hope the EBU sees sense in 2022. Their hands may be tied if anyone else decides to quit or if nobody comes back.
and let's not lie to ourselves: the EBU needs as many participants as possible. with belarus gone, they'll do everything to get back to 40+ participants

Mainshow

Veteran
i'm pretty sure that they'll be inviting kazakhstan à la ukraine 2003 to end up with 26 countries in the gf
I didn't know that Ukraine got invited. Just looked it up! Interesting! A pity, the EBU didn't let Albania enter, though. It seems that they have always been quite reluctant to accepting new countries of a "special type".

^^
+ I don't think Armenia or Hungary will be back either since none of them broadcast the show this year

Sammy

Veteran
I didn't know that Ukraine got invited. Just looked it up! Interesting! A pity, the EBU didn't let Albania enter, though. It seems that they have always been quite reluctant to accepting new countries of a "special type".

^^
+ I don't think Armenia or Hungary will be back either since none of them broadcast the show this year
Yeah! Like Liechtenstein. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

Yeah I didn't know either! So it turns out EBU has always been all about double standards. :lol:

Lance Esgard

Plus if there are concerns about EBU values, the human right situations of Russia and Kazakhstan are similar enough at least where human rights rankings are concerned and Russia has both been in Eurovision for ages and has hosted).

It's injustice for Kazakhstan on a technicality, at best.

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I get your point but it is no longer a rule that a country has to broadcast the previous year, they could still come back if they wish to. I think you're right that it's unlikely

Mainshow

Veteran
^^ I know that this rule has been abolished. I still believe that it still shows some sentiment towards Eurovision.
I mean, why not broadcasting it if you may intend to come back the following year?
I'm really worried about Armenia.. I mean, they wanted to participate but withdraw at a very late stage and now they even decided to not even broadcast an edition they've intended to take part in.
That's really strange and I think they might be bitter that the EBU didn't get rid of Azerbaijan or they are utterly disappointed by Europe not interfering the Karabakh war...and thus, (I hope I'm wrong about this, though) it's quite unlikely to see Armenia back next year (but it's just my gut feeling).

DenizESC

Banned
Hey hookers,

I forgot to add my last OM entry in name of the great QazaqSTAN so hereby:

List of Best moments (timeline):

00:26 LESBIAN DOM entrance
00:41 Sol úshin endi maǵan osylaı yńǵaıly
00:44 FEMDOM entrance
00:53 ICEBLUE
02:08 bári osyǵan deıin qalǵan kúnerip--------------------Jesede jegideı ishtegi negatıviń Ony eleń etpeımin, maǵan báribir degendeı
03:35 ICEBLUE IN YOUR MIND, IMMA BE YOUR ENEMY DON'T EVEN TRY :kz:

Top Bottom