Contact us

Kazakhstan KAZAKHSTAN 2018 - Not taking part

AlekS

Veteran
Well, I can see the issue with diaspora voting (the countries that would benefit most from Kazakhstan entering in terms of diaspora votes would be Russia, Ukraine, Belarus followed by Germany and Poland actually), as for political voting there might be a slight risk for Russia and some "cultural points" for Azerbaijan, but this is actually more speculative, atleast Kazakhstan doesn't have much conflicts with other countries as you can see in the Armenia-Azerbaijan case for instance.
Gaitana and O.Torvald are still wondering about that benefit :rolleyes:

37 points from televoters to Gaitana.
5 points from ex-USSR to O.Torvald :cool: (1pt from Belarus and 4 pts from Georgia - both of them like rock).
2017 only proved that our diaspora doesn't vote for us blindly.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Scooby

Kazakhstan in Eurovision!
Composers from Sweden like this :lol:

A-lister

Veteran
Gaitana and O.Torvald are still wondering about that benefit :rolleyes:

37 points from televoters to Gaitana.
5 points from ex-USSR to O.Torvald :cool: (1pt from Belarus and 4 pts from Georgia - both of them like rock).
2017 only proved that our diaspora doesn't vote for us blindly.

Hmm, didn't know Ukrainian diaspora from Kazakhstan had the opportunity to vote yet? xthink

Of course, I'm not saying all votes are diaspora votes or that diaspora will always vote regardless, but this is just a hypothetical discussion about what countries that may benefit from Kazakhstan entering. However, I don't believe EBU will allow Kazakhstan regardless so there's no worry... so those who don't want Kazakhstan to enter (but are fine that a non-European country from the other side of the globe enters) will probably stay satisfied in the end of the day.

Mrm

Veteran
[MENTION=4544]A-lister[/MENTION]

Hi dear A-lister! :)
xwave
I hope to agree a lot with you this ESC season, but we wil see. :D

A-lister

Veteran
We all know the points of televoting:
12 to Russia
10 to Azerbaijan
8 to Turkey
7 to Ukraine.

I think coming from a country (Greece) that is one of the major beneficiaries of diaspora votes and always give 12's to Cyprus (regardless of the entry) it's kind of hypocritical to point out Kazakhstan...

Anyways, Kazakhstan is closer to European ex-USSR (maybe not so much Ukraine anymore since they are more on Russia's side on things, but still) than they are to Turkey and Azerbaijan, and Turkey is not even taking part so not sure how they could end up getting any points from any country right now? :lol:

Another thing that people turn their blind eye to is that there is also a 2-3% German diaspora in Kazakhstan (biggest diaspora group from ESC countries in Kazakhstan after Russians and Ukrainians), Turks and Azeris don't even make up 1% of the population...

A-lister

Veteran
[MENTION=4544]A-lister[/MENTION]

Hi dear A-lister! :)
xwave
I hope to agree a lot with you this ESC season, but we wil see. :D

Hey there! Hope all is good? We barely agree on many things ESC related but that's kind of traditions :lol:

Mrm

Veteran
Hey there! Hope all is good? We barely agree on many things ESC related but that's kind of traditions :lol:

But we can agree, Belarus 2017 is great! :D

A-lister

Veteran
+ If :tr: dare to comeback, then they will get 10-8 automatic points from :kz: as they are Turkish brothers culturally! xkiss

I'd say Kazakhstan is culturally closer to European ex-USSR countries than they are to Turkey, they are very "Russified" and with Erdögan in Turkey, the gap expands further because Turkey is becoming more and more fundamentalist while Kazakhstan sticks to being secular.

Realest

I think coming from a country (Greece) that is one of the major beneficiaries of diaspora votes and always give 12's to Cyprus (regardless of the entry) it's kind of hypocritical to point out Kazakhstan...

Anyways, Kazakhstan is closer to European ex-USSR (maybe not so much Ukraine anymore since they are more on Russia's side on things, but still) than they are to Turkey and Azerbaijan, and Turkey is not even taking part so not sure how they could end up getting any points from any country right now? :lol:

Another thing that people turn their blind eye to is that there is also a 2-3% German diaspora in Kazakhstan (biggest diaspora group from ESC countries in Kazakhstan after Russians and Ukrainians), Turks and Azeris don't even make up 1% of the population...

Well, we dont have an active (blind) Diaspora, even in :ch: and in :at: we have to fight for our Points. Also in :hu: and :ro: Germans are one of the biggest Groups, but they either dont support us Blindly, or are no ESC-Fans (Even Lena 2011 received 0 Points from both of them despite being a Fav). And thats very good as it is. I dont want us to receive blind Points nomatter how good/bad our Entries are. On the other Side if we sometimes get 10-12 from :at: and :ch: (like with St. Raab or Lena) we know that we got them because we deserved them and not for geopolitical Reasons. So im pretty sure that our Diaspora in :kz: also wouldnt support us blindly.

A-lister

Veteran
Well, we dont have an active (blind) Diaspora, even in :ch: and in :at: we have to fight for our Points. Also in :hu: and :ro: Germans are one of the biggest Groups, but they either dont support us Blindly, or are no ESC-Fans (Even Lena 2011 received 0 Points from both of them despite being a Fav). And thats very good as it is. I dont want us to receive blind Points nomatter how good/bad our Entries are. On the other Side if we sometimes get 10-12 from :at: and :ch: (like with St. Raab or Lena) we know that we got them because we deserved them and not for geopolitical Reasons. So im pretty sure that our Diaspora in :kz: also wouldnt support us blindly.

Well, that might be true, and there are other countries aswell which have diaspora that doesn't really help... I just pointed it out as a fact.

GRE

Channel 31 Kazakhstan has indeed expressed interest in becoming a Member of the EBU and hence participate in the Eurovision Song Contest. However, since Channel 31 is outside the European Broadcasting Area and is also not a member of the Council of Europe,
it is not eligible to become an active Member of the EBU.

A-lister

Veteran
Channel 31 Kazakhstan has indeed expressed interest in becoming a Member of the EBU and hence participate in the Eurovision Song Contest. However, since Channel 31 is outside the European Broadcasting Area and is also not a member of the Council of Europe,
it is not eligible to become an active Member of the EBU.

Yeah because Australia is within the broadcasting area and member of Council of Europe :lol:

But yeah, like I expected, EBU treat different countries differently...

Also this broadcasting area is a joke tbh... clearly has not been updated for decades, Syria can technically enter but a country like Kazakhstan that is partly within the European continent cannot....

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Yeah because Australia is within the broadcasting area and member of Council of Europe :lol:

But yeah, like I expected, EBU treat different countries differently...

Also this broadcasting area is a joke tbh... clearly has not been updated for decades, Syria can technically enter but a country like Kazakhstan that is partly within the European continent cannot....

The statement also goes on to say that associate members need to be invited to join Eurovision... there's no money in inviting Kazakhstan (unless they make it worth their while), whereas Australia... $$$

A-lister

Veteran
The statement also goes on to say that associate members need to be invited to join Eurovision... there's no money in inviting Kazakhstan (unless they make it worth their while), whereas Australia... $$$

I don't think it's too hard to find some cash in a country which exports oil and gas as their main income source and has a GDP/cap almost $10.000 higher than Azerbaijan for instance (and we all know the latter has been pretty good with convincing EBU with their cash in certain situations)...

Australia is a rich country, but it doesn't function the same way as :kz: or :az: does so it's not like the Australian state would put some extra cash into the game, it mostly depends on the broadcaster's economy, wheres with some other countries cash clearly flows from other sources aswell... letting Australia in might be partly about cash but also about culture and politics, blocking Kazakhstan however is clearly a matter of culture and politics, not so much about cash...

Realest

Top Bottom