Contact us

K-Pop

EscTombo

I was wondering if there are any other K-Pop fans loving Eurovision as well. If yes, which are your favorite groups (+bias) and what are your favorite songs of 2017 so far? ^^

popavapeur

we had a contest back then made by [MENTION=9195]tuorem[/MENTION] about Kpop ! I think there's already a thread if I'm not mistaken, we're a lot enjoying kpop

I'm more into girlgroups as for me Boysband tend to sound exactly the same

JChan

I am so stoked to see BTS appear at the Billboard Awards, its a huge accomplishment!!

aja675

popavapeur

anybody stanning LOONA here ?

I felt into the LOONAVERSE(TM) in late May when Kim Lip released her solo single

If you don"t know the concept (ATTENTION LONG POST- Explaining the whole stuff with vids)

If you read everything : congrats. I totally felt in love with these girls, I think their promotionnal concept is awesome, it's totally useless but terribly creative and they really have some very good songs (if you didn't watch all the vids, take some time to watch Kim Lip - Eclipse and Yves - New). So I can't wait for their full debut.

popavapeur

dZAajVr.gif

TO SAY : Serebro is actually pointing out Momoland's last single for being a little bit too similar :

#drama

Fluke

I'm amazed by the quality and creativity of K-pop in the last few years. I'd go as far as saying this is the first real advancement in mainstream popular music in 20 years. This is the first thing since then that's truly new and contemporary. They've finally nailed how to reach a young audience, filling a void that the stodgy, self-absorbed western music industry hasn't been able to fill for decades. And i can't wait to see what the western music industry is going to come up with to counter this. Maybe they'll just imitate it, or they'll come up with their own thing entirely, or they'll just keep on being irrelevant. One thing's for sure, K-pop is still growing and developing and it's going strange places. Here's some of my favorites right now....

tomos2019

I like certain K-pop songs but it tends to be just certain groups or the odd song rather than being one of my major interests.

One I really like from the 90s is S.E.S's cover of ''Rakastuin ma looseriin'' from 1998:

I was really big on KARA and SNSD but they seem to be mostly irrelevant now.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member

masterpiece

I was here to promote that!!!!! kpop is saved

I like certain K-pop songs but it tends to be just certain groups or the odd song rather than being one of my major interests.

One I really like from the 90s is S.E.S's cover of ''Rakastuin ma looseriin'' from 1998:

kara disbanded :(

musicfan

I didn't even know that was a cover, which is strange as I have heard older Finnish music, but it looks like that song by Nylon Beat was never among songs I heard (maybe not so famous in Finland or 90s music wasn't as classic to people).

Anyway if I was to pick a best period for Korean music it would probably be the 80s. I just think Thai music has been much better this century, better than Japanese pop too. Best Kpop song I heard from last year so far was Love Bomb from fromis_9.

tomos2019

I don't know much 80s Korean music and only find the odd Thai song every now and again I'm afraid!

My favourite current Korean song at the moment is DK-Lie, I also don't mind Itzy-Dalla dalla.

musicfan

Jpop was very influential in the far east in the 70s/80s.

The DK song has a nice vocal but I don't feel much individual character in the melody, the chorus hook for instance doesn't grab me.

popavapeur

sometimes when I listen to kpop and see that it's around 3min I'm always wondering "could it be a winning song ?" and there's sooooo muuuuch songs that fits really well the ESC fantasy with a fun choreo, hooks and a bridge at the right moment that could easily sneak into a top 5.

Alaska49

J-Pop >>> K-pop.

Bye.
i refuse to enter this debate without knowing what you mean by j-pop when that term is so much broader than k-pop lol i need examples

sometimes when I listen to kpop and see that it's around 3min I'm always wondering "could it be a winning song ?" and there's sooooo muuuuch songs that fits really well the ESC fantasy with a fun choreo, hooks and a bridge at the right moment that could easily sneak into a top 5.
considering luca hanni just got a 4th place with a super junior feature track, you are probably entirely correct!! t-ara's roly poly is the eurovision top 3 disco revival that never was.

anyway let us all stan talent and empowerment

Fluke

Anyone else think the new trend of K-pop "supergroups" reeks of desperation? SuperM is already doing international TV appearances as if they've actually had a fandom for long, and there's at least two more "supergroups" on the way.

Even if you like them (i think "Jopping" was pretty mediocre, B+ at best) you gotta admit this is a weird and rushed move of them. NCT 127 seriously had the chance of building a international fandom as strong as BTS, their music was the most sophisticated and original within the genre, with visuals to match, and they actually built a western fanbase in less than a year, but now they seem to have abandoned it for this.

I got a feeling at this rate, the 6+member boy bands will be ridiculed and declared dead by next year. Maybe they'll focus on smaller groups, solo acts or some new concept to revive it, but now they're already self-cannibalizing their fame.

I'm thinking "guitar bands" like DAY6 and solo acts like Jackson Wang might be where the international K-pop phenomenon is going next.

Fluke

Stanning this hard, looks like SuperM is abandoned for now. :geek:

Top Bottom