Contact us

Jury vs Televote

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
An interesting article on escdaily.com

For quite a long time, a lot of eurofans complained about the unfairness of the voting system that started in the late 1990?s, which in general terms gave a lot of advantage to countries with a lot of neighbors or with a big community living in other countries, giving place to what was then called friendly and diaspora vote, respectively.

The introduction of the semifinal(s) made it all the more evident that an urgent change in the voting system was urgent, as it became quite clear that a victory for a Western country (other than the Nordic) was pretty much impossible.

EBU stood up and brought back the jury after a long absence. In their first appearances, their action was limited (2008 they just picked a finalist from each semi, and 2009 they were responsible for the same plus half of the result in the final), but 2010 gave them more power. The vote from every country was decided by a 50-50 split between televote and jury vote in both semifinals and the final.

The new system proved to be effective in immediate results, with victory for a well deserving Germany. However, there are things to work in, and to me the most obvious is the one which has now outraged a lot of fans that cannot understand how the juries voted in a lot of cases. The most evident I think is the case of Israel, who received a great support from the juries in the final result, when his singing during the big night was far from good.

The problem, which many don’t know, is that juries and public don’t vote on the same show. While the people at home cast their votes based on the performance of the big night, the juries in reality vote after the second dress rehearsal. That way, a performance which is good in one show can be shitty in another and viceversa. Didrik from Norway, for instance, had a lot of problems in the rehearsals, and sang quite well on Saturday night (although he didn’t really receive much points from either the juries or the public). Harel from Israel had it the exact opposite way.

Then, wouldn’t it be much better if everyone voted based on the same performances? After all, no matter how professional or well taken care of a rehearsal is, in the end, it’s nothing more than that, a mere rehearsal. The actual competition takes place, or should take place, on Saturday night, when all the European public is really watching the show. A rehearsal has the purpose of trying out things, perfecting others and, ultimately, put all the efforts together so that on the big night(s) the artist(s) can be completely ready to bring a quality performance for the public in the arena and all over the continent.

I repeat then, why not have both juries and public cast their votes after being presented with the same staging, singing, dancing? That way the result would be more coherent, and people wouldn’t start questioning the fairness of the jury vote, and questioning their impartiality. As I said, there’s no doubt that EBU has started taking some steps in the correct direction, yet there’s still a lot that can be done to achieve a voting system which leaves no doubt of the fairness of the result. Now that the juries are back to try and balance the deficiencies of the allegedly more democratic voting system, it is essential for EBU to legitimate their work in Eurovision, and that won’t happen if the public keeps seeing obvious differences, sometimes inexplicable (again, take the example of Israel), when the results from the jury vote are published.

http://escdaily.com/articles/2638

What is your opinion about the jury vote vs televote? Is the EBU doing the right thing or do you disagree?? What kind of change do you suggest in 2011?

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
Maybe jury should vote in the final (with televotes too) and then merge their and televoting's votes ... that could be more fair

AlekS

Veteran
I'm effen tired of this "eternal" theme.
People will whine until their fave wins. And this will continue forever.

EBU should finally stick to this current system.

Now rehearsals are blamed, what's next? People will never be satisfied so there's no point.
Next year when the juries give totally different marks than televoters again the crapfest will start and then people would demand changes because their faves (in their subjective opinion) sang better.

Imo, Lena didn't sing well, didn't act well... she was miles worse than Harel but she's 1st. But I don't say let's change the system xshrug and hide it a-la we need to change the rules. because simply it won't help + it's not just about my or your ;) opinions.

A rehearsal has the purpose of trying out things, perfecting others and, ultimately, put all the efforts together so that on the big night(s) the artist(s) can be completely ready to bring a quality performance for the public in the arena and all over the continent.
All of this doesn't work for the final dress rehearsal with people in the venue and broadcast recording.

I think that public should finally learn how to respect different marks and don't demand something just because they disagree or they doubt in something.

94ayd

It's couldn't be any more illogical how juries and televoters vote beased on different performances. The rehearsal shouldn't really be taken into account. That seems unfair. It's important if they could do great live, when millions of people are watching. ;)

AlekS

Veteran
94ayd said:
It's important if they could do great live, when millions of people are watching. ;)
For televoters? Yes
For the juries? Nope.

Performers are already really nervous when they perform in front of the audience and the juries @ the dress rehearsal + they record the show during the rehearsal so performers have to show their final entry @ the dress rehearsal.

The juries don't influence televoters so why should televoters influence the juries and order them what to do? :?
The juries should rate the entry when EBU wants.

MyHeartIsYours

Imo the juries should vote based on the final performance then it makes it fairer. Surely they have enough time to vote in 15 minutes? :?

AlekS

Veteran
^ surely they have enough time to find out the televoting results and be influenced by them ;)

AlekS

Veteran
^ and who said they can't change their votes after that? ;) in 2009 our jury has already knew televoting results before sending combined results :roll:

AlekS

Veteran
^ and who's gonna pay for those supervisors?

current system is fair because it follows EBU rules. If EBU feels the need to set such rules you can follow them or switch the channel xshrug

MyHeartIsYours

Why should I change channel? I notice you are very keen on changing the rules in FSC World Cup, why can't I want the rules of Eurovision to be changed? ;)
I am on about the fact that the two sets of votes are for different performances. How can that be fair?!!

AlekS

Veteran
^ Because you dislike the rules?
you're noticing badly then because I was against changing the rules ;)
It can be fair... just like pre-recording the contest (in case of broadcast failure) on the dress rehearsals is "unfair".

We are rating the entry, not the same performance. The time difference between dress rehearsals and the final performance is miserable.
I don't think that people should influence EBU and show disrespect towards their rules every damn year just because they think it's unfair.

MyHeartIsYours

I disagree that people vote on the entry... only Eurovision fans do. The majority who watch vote on the performance.
The EBU's been known to crack under Big 4 pressure, maybe we can change the rules again. :p

AlekS

Veteran
^ I don't care what people choose, the jury is NOT supposed to vote in the same way with people.

MyHeartIsYours

^ In your opinion ;)

I am not the only one who has this opinion. Last year and this year it was all over the British media that having the jury voting in the dress rehearsal is stupid.

AlekS

Veteran
^ No, Adam. Not just my opinion. This is opinion of the EBU, the organizer of Eurovision Song Contest which sets rules ... people do not set rules, EBU does.
And my opinion is certainly not worse than yours ;)

don't get me started on British media and Eurovision :lol: :lol: :lol:

evilperson

I don't think it really matters when the juries vote. I'm pretty sure last year the EBU stated the objective of the juries was to find the best songs with the most commercial appeal. I think whether watching the rehearsals or the live performance wouldn't make a real impact on their choice if this is their criteria.

What I do think the EBU should do in terms of juries is reveal the long list with each country's 5 jurors. They should also have listed qualifications because in some cases I fail to see how an actress has any useful input than a music producer or someone who actively works in the music industry. I think this will make things more fair. The jury panel should also always have to be rotated with new jurors every year.

There will always be differences between public vote and jury and there may even be a Eurovision in the future where they will both pick different winners. I think introducing the juries makes things much more interesting and removes some of the "guaranteed" points some countries were experiencing.

But who knows, the EBU seems to be changing their rules every year, whos to say they wont change them again next year.

Top Bottom