Contact us

Juries- keep'em or trash'em?

r3gg13

Ok, so from reading the window for voting thread, I noticed a lot of discussion about juries.

So, here's a thread dedicated to juries.
All sentiments welcome! Say anything and everything related to juries

Sabiondo

Don't have anything to say against hers...i thing that they did well his jop, but i wished that they had carrefull when are evaluating :)

Yamarus

I was uncomfortable with 100% televote. And 100% jury voting is absolutely out of the question. 50/50 is the compromise. But I do think that juries need more transparency.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I was uncomfortable with 100% televote. And 100% jury voting is absolutely out of the question. 50/50 is the compromise. But I do think that juries need more transparency.

Agree 100% with this.

I didn't like the path ESC was taking with 100% televote so bringing the juries back with different rules and guidelines was a fantastic idea. I just would want to get more info on the voting breakdown by country and jury vs televote just like they did in 2009 for transparency reason.

94ayd

Um, I find the combined voting really interesting, so I don't mind them at all. It's probably the best system we've had so far. ;)

Kicker

Kick them out!
The ESC is just a question of TASTE. And why should the TASTE of a few people count more as the taste of a million people togheter?!

CC92

Hence with them! Those who like dated disney ballads and over-generic pop stuff but hate modern music as well as cultural or un-commercial/innovative impacts are free to watch American Idol, listen to 'Adult contemporary' stations or whatever but should not disturb the majority that does not share their taste.
Earlier I was a fan of the idea of having huge representative juries. Like poll surveys for political elections. However, in practise this never would work as too many broadcasters still would try to push through their own political/tactical/economic interests. Instead we need a strictly limited amount of votes via one phone, anyway, still almost always works better (incl. the televoting system now) than a responsible's veto against public decisions.

sophielou

I think the juries make the voting more varied and interesting so I'm all for them. The ultimate irony is that my country's entry would have come 5th this year but for the jury votes. Yet the jury votes do spread the scores a little further and fairer, so I'm for them. Keep 'em! :D

That said some improvements might be needed. I think that the juries should have some people from the music industry (Like they do now) but maybe a couple of regular people (or at least younger people) who are fans of the show and are randomly selected by people who apply to be on the jury. I think it'd be nice for mad Eurovision fans to have their say because I like to think we don't have particular country loyalties or song-type loyalties (The juries appear to like ballads, for example). I'd also like to know who the juries are. You really have to scrape around to find their names.

But yes, I do think 50% televoting and 50% jury is the most interesting and fair system the country has ever had. Previous systems were unfair and did create biases one way or the other. The public vote and the jury vote sort of cancel each other out.

nikolay_BG

Banned
I think, because of the juries we`ll get more and more borring disney ballads then good music.
People only support juries, cause their countries aren`t backed up by the others, cause they send awfull songs (I look at you, UK).

The juries avoid some styles (modern) and some countries (like Russia) on purpuse. That`s not fair and this looks like a "revenge" to the "filthy eastern heads" :D.

Also the juries don`t give any colourful diversity to the contest - all of the songs who were let from the jury were in english (accept of Serbia).
Pluse it`s easier to bribe 5 jury members then a whole nation.

I am 100% sure that all of the jury members are bribed to vote or not to vote for specific countries (like Russia for example)

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
I think, because of the juries we`ll get more and more borring disney ballads then good music.
People only support juries, cause their countries aren`t backed up by the others, cause they send awfull songs (I look at you, UK).

Italy 2011 is a Disney ballad? Germany 2010 is a Disney Ballad? Norway 2009 is a Disney Ballad? There is so much bias in your statement I wouldn't even know where to begin. You call 'Disney' ballads (why is every ballad in ESC called a Disney ballad???) bad music....based on what? Your personal taste. And since you always love to associate Disney ballads = bad music, you may wanna look around and check what songs are considered timeless music that is still listened to and loved by millions of people even today? The so called 'bad Disney music' that you are referring to. The whole purpose of juries is to look at music from a different perspective than televoters who easily get impressed with a catchy and predictable melody that I could write in 10 minutes myself. Just repeating the same melody and lyrics 25 times in three minutes is not appealing to everyone. And now you are claiming that UK sends terrible music, the funny thing is the juries agreed with you 2 years in a row. So the UK hasn't been backed up by the juries at all. So your point is kind of weak there.

The juries avoid some styles (modern) and some countries (like Russia) on purpuse. That`s not fair and this looks like a "revenge" to the "filthy eastern heads" :D.

Please define the term 'modern music' to me. Are you claiming that Slovenia 2011 was not modern? Azerbaijan 2011 was outdated? Same goes to Denmark??? It's clear that you have an agenda here and disregard the fact that songs like "Popular" that has the 90 Schlager sound and not charted anywhere either is incredibly outdated. Let's be fair here. Don't blame "juries" voting for non modern songs when that could apply to both parties. And we all are aware of your dislike of Western Countries but the juries are from all over the continent so your discriminatory accusation is kind of baseless unless you are calling the Eastern Countries (and you always looove to be exclusive like that) cheaters, too don't just play the 'blame the West' card.

Also the juries don`t give any colourful diversity to the contest - all of the songs who were let from the jury were in english (accept of Serbia).

Hmm, 9 1/2 half songs in the Televoting To 10 are in english, and the jury had 8 1/2 songs in english in their Top 10 respectively. While that is on an average basis a high number as well it is definitely pretty much proves that your claim is not fair blaming the juries voting for english songs when their No 1 is half italian/half english and the only song that the televoters gave high points to was Greece where the chorus was in greek but that's it.

I am 100% sure that all of the jury members are bribed to vote or not to vote for specific countries (like Russia for example)

Oh great, please provide some proof or source.

In the meantime, I am 100% sure that the world is flat and bunnies are planning on conquering Alaska trying to build nuclear carrots of mass destruction.

sophielou

Pluse it`s easier to bribe 5 jury members then a whole nation.

I don't see why that should be true given that it was the juries that kept the UK out of the Top 10 this year. Televoting alone and Blue would have been in 5th place. So the nations obviously liked it but the juries didn't. Slovenia received most of their points from the juries (and good because it was a good song).

What's wrong if the juries just really liked Italy this year? Italy had no desire to win Eurovision so I don't think they were bribing anyone to vote for them but they beat their nearest rivals (Azerbaijan) by nearly 70 points. Neither of these countries had anything to gain from bribing anyone.

And as I said on the other thread I doubt very much the juries are bribed. I mean, who the hell in bribing them? Like, all 45 of them? Who could be bothered?

Last edited:

sophielou

OK, point taken. :p

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that countries in the middle of supposed bloc-voting areas still receive top points from the jury if they deserve it and I said it wrong thing. I was my mistake. Sorry.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
OK, point taken. :p

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that countries in the middle of supposed bloc-voting areas still receive top points from the jury if they deserve it and I said it wrong thing. I was my mistake. Sorry.

I kinda knew where you were going with it ;) But Denmark is certainly NOT East. It's either West or North.
And when you look at the jury votes for this year it's a clear mix between West and East all over the board

1. Italy (considered West)
2. Azerbaijan (East)
3. Denmark (West)
4. Slovenia (East)
5. Austria (West)

Bottom 5

Russia (East)
Spain (West)
Switzerland (West)
UK (West)
Hungary (East)

And don't get me wrong, I don't agree with all of those results (Austria so hight?? WTF??? UK so low??? WTF??? Azerbaijan so high?? WTF) but that's my personal taste an preference. I'm not saying those are the good or modern songs, those are the ones I responded to well.

Top Bottom