Contact us

Jon Ola Sand will step down as Eurovision Executive Supervisor

Teaisloveable

Sad news! Which has been confirmed on Eurovision.tv

EFtFYsEXUAAn8fH.jpg:large

He Tweets:
"The past decade @EBU_HQ has been fantastic & exciting but it’ll also be good to come home. I’m looking forward to my new role ensuring that @NRKno continues to be a world-class public broadcaster. But still plenty of work to do for #ESC2020 before then!"

Eurovision 2020 will be his last in this role. He will be going to work at Norway's public broadcaster, NRK.

He's been in the role since 2011, though he has been involved with the contest for 20 years! So I thought he probably deserves his own thread!
He has become a Eurovision icon in his own right.

What are your thoughts? What changes could Eurovision see with a new executive supervisor?

Take it away!

Schlagerman1

I have double feelings towards Jon Ola Sand. He has evolved the contest, trying to fix the problems that has come up and handled it decently as a whole. But it is just that it has been a lot of problems, which for us fans has been seen quite chaotic. It may not be entirely his fault, though he is the one in charge and do have a big responsibility.

Now the question is who will follow. Everyone would put money on Christer Björkman but I am sure he would reject it, since he is on his way to America to start their Eurovision-like contest after 2021, so he is probably out. I think it is time for someone from the former USSR or Ex-yu countries to be the next supervisor. We only had people from western countries and it would be seen as the next step in the inclusion for Europe as a whole. I am not that good at coming up with people, but I know that 10 years ago there were talks about the Estonian head of delegation (which I can't remember the name of now), so maybe that could be the next one?

Realest

What he did to us 2010-2013 was unforgiveable. Also the Mistake with the belarussian Jury this Year was embarassing plus the fact that Belarus Jury was disqualified while worse Jurycrimes were tolerated. Apart of this, he was ok. I wish him all the Best.

ESC94

I wish him all the best for the future, but after a decade in charge I think it´s time for someone new in that position, especially after the embarrassing mistakes this year.

tuorem

As long as Björkman doesn't succeed him, I take his departure as a good news tbh.

I totally agree with what Schlager said above: he did help to modernise the contest over the last decade and stuff, but there were (and are) way too many issues he either didn't address properly or didn't address at all. Every year, the EBU reaches new heights of amateurism, so they could use someone more capable of putting things back on an even keel.

I also would like someone from Central or Eastern Europe to be his successor: a change of nationality would be welcome.

ESC94

As long as Björkman doesn't succeed him, I take his departure as a good news tbh.

I totally agree with what Schlager said above: he did help to modernise the contest over the last decade and stuff, but there were (and are) way too many issues he either didn't address properly or didn't address at all. Every year, the EBU reaches new heights of amateurism, so they could use someone more capable of putting things back on an even keel.

I also would like someone from Central or Eastern Europe to be his successor: a change of nationality would be welcome.

Yeah, as long as it isn´t Thomas Schreiber I´m totally fine with that. :D

Mainshow

Veteran
I'm afraid that someone like Björkman would like to turn Eurovision into another Melodifestivalen and that we will have to face backing tracks in near future, i.e. getting rid off 100% live performances. Personally, I think that this would be a huge disadvantage.
On the other hand, Poland will be able to finally send Margaret to Eurovision and win the whole thing :D

ESC94

I'm afraid that someone like Björkman would like to turn Eurovision into another Melodifestivalen and that we will have to face backing tracks in near future, i.e. getting rid off 100% live performances. Personally, I think that this would be a huge disadvantage.
On the other hand, Poland will be able to finally send Margaret to Eurovision and win the whole thing :D

Yeah, this would probably the only good thing!! :lol:

A-lister

Veteran
Actually relieved, as long as Björkman or someone who wants to turn Eurovision into Worldvision doesn't take over ...

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Oh cod, he's going to be replaced by the Borkman isn't it.

A-lister

Veteran
Praying for someone who realizes the issues with the juries (at least how they currently function) and respect the EURO in EUROvision... although one can just dream, it'll probably be the complete opposite and we'll have USA and Canada joining, overflooded with American Idol-ish ballads and only English language entries :lol:

MalagaToledo

Banned
Good that sand stepped down. He allowed that hurries sabotage his country Norway, televote winners, lest not forget that, even though I was cool with Dutch win. Please, don't let next SV be Bjorkman or Mans Zelmerlow. I would be pleased with anyone else.

anto475

Good that sand stepped down. He allowed that hurries sabotage his country Norway, televote winners, lest not forget that, even though I was cool with Dutch win. Please, don't let next SV be Bjorkman or Mans Zelmerlow. I would be pleased with anyone else.

I would have never worried about Mans Zelmerlow being part of the contest but now that you say it, I'm terrified he'll go for it. It'd be the perfect vanity piece for him, he's so insipid and vapid.

Brandt

In an instant of reading this news days ago, all I thought about was Björkman taking it over. :mad:

Top Bottom