Contact us

JESC: Malta 2016

aef

What a FAIL voting. What a FAIL result.

Georgia? Really?

I really don't get on what basis the adult juries voted and on what basis the kids juries voted??? Why did the like Georgia so much??

Best moment at the end of the Swedenized voting: "And finally I have a 110 points to give.... (FAIL)....not now...Its still open, its still open!!"

Fierro

I love how each year the song that receives first 12 points during results show comes first overall.
Results are disappointing. Hosts are awful.

aef

Compared to the 2015 contest, the show was a complete mess in my opinion.... No more televoting, awful hosts, awful winner, overall meh songs, why do the kids giving the points always have to scream that much??

Fierro

Compared to the 2015 contest, the show was a complete mess in my opinion.... No more televoting, awful hosts, awful winner, overall meh songs, why do the kids giving the points always have to scream that much??

I think songs were not that bad... I enjoyed much of them. At least in terms of songs for me this year is better than 2014-2015.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
This JESC has had very good results... Only Poland and Ukraine were underrated, but for the rest I'm happy that all the fanwanks flopped and the songs hated by the fans were on top!! That's how it should be... Always!

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
This JESC has had very good results... Only Poland and Ukraine were underrated, but for the rest I'm happy that all the fanwanks flopped and the songs hated by the fans were on top!! That's how it should be... Always!

They're ten...

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
I think he's suggesting that enjoying the failures of children is not a good thing. Neither is your spelling of "what".

No, I just enjoy the failures of the fans' conception of how the songs in ESC and JESC should be, and when finally something different places better than their mediocre favourites, they keep on moaning and bashing (we already saw that with Jamala). Now THEY are enjoying the failures of children, not me.

FilipFromSweden

JESC used to have somewhat a worthy quality to it. Used to. I feel like the quality has just gone down with the time. There is no longer any televoting for the obvious reason that not enough people cares about JESC. And why is there even an adult jury? Isn't it laughable that the adult jury chose the winner, as the winner was ranked 6th by the kids jury?

And what is the deal with it being the same countries doing well/winning?

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
The quality of the songs in JESC is much higher than in the past, for sure.

DanielLuis

The winner was great. It wasn't one of my absolute favourites but the performance was amazing. The little girl is so classy on stage.

What I disliked the most were the hosts and the audience. I can't believe they were actually booing the poor little girl at one point everytime Georgia received 12 points! This is a children contest for god's sake! And I didn't remember, but people are saying the Maltese audience did the same to Krisia from Bulgaria in 2014. The EBU should do something about this to be honest, it's really disgusting to boo children like that.

Also don't get the people moaning about the quality of the songs. In my opinion it was very good, and many countries even sent better songs than they sent to the actual ESC.

Pawhlen

The winner was great. It wasn't one of my absolute favourites but the performance was amazing. The little girl is so classy on stage.

What I disliked the most were the hosts and the audience. I can't believe they were actually booing the poor little girl at one point everytime Georgia received 12 points! This is a children contest for god's sake! And I didn't remember, but people are saying the Maltese audience did the same to Krisia from Bulgaria in 2014. The EBU should do something about this to be honest, it's really disgusting to boo children like that.

Also don't get the people moaning about the quality of the songs. In my opinion it was very good, and many countries even sent better songs than they sent to the actual ESC.
I was surprised and angry about this too, at first I thought, it was probably because :mt: got low Points but it wasn´t.

And yes Daniel, Krisia were booed a few times when she recieved :12: pointers back in 2014, I guess the maltese audience saw her as the main threat to their own Frederica back then, but that´s not an excuse for doing so

It seems the respect for other people is disappearing every day in our world.

But when it comes to the actual competing songs, I can say :ge: was not my absolute favorite (in fact there was none of the 17 acts that blown me away completely like :mt:, :am: and :al: last year) but still it was very good performed.

I was a bit surprised that :mk: scored so badly since it was the best of the very few uptempo songs this year. Otherwise the result was pretty good

But I suggest EBU should reintroduce televoting next year and get rid of the expert votes, what is wrong with having kids juryes as the first half and televoting for the other half of the Points? I mean, since they have changed to Sunday and starts broadcasting during the afternoon, there should be no problem getting enough televotes

DanielLuis

I was surprised and angry about this too, at first I thought, it was probably because :mt: got low Points but it wasn´t.

And yes Daniel, Krisia were booed a few times when she recieved :12: pointers back in 2014, I guess the maltese audience saw her as the main threat to their own Frederica back then, but that´s not an excuse for doing so

It seems the respect for other people is disappearing every day in our world.

But when it comes to the actual competing songs, I can say :ge: was not my absolute favorite (in fact there was none of the 17 acts that blown me away completely like :mt:, :am: and :al: last year) but still it was very good performed.

I was a bit surprised that :mk: scored so badly since it was the best of the very few uptempo songs this year. Otherwise the result was pretty good

But I suggest EBU should reintroduce televoting next year and get rid of the expert votes, what is wrong with having kids juryes as the first half and televoting for the other half of the Points? I mean, since they have changed to Sunday and starts broadcasting during the afternoon, there should be no problem getting enough televotes

Honestly, when stuff like this happens the host broadcasters should get a fine or something. It really is disgusting to boo children like that.

By the way, the reprise was so damn cute, Mariam could barely sing with all the emotion and the other contestants tried to encourage her and sang along with her. That is exactly what the Eurovision spirit is! The crowd that was there watching the show should learn a thing or two from that moment. And many Eurovision fans as well!

macmillanandwife

So I'm calling this contest: "The one with too many hoverboards and ballads (fortunately none of them exploded)"

I'm alright with :ge: winning this year. It was a very strong song and she had a strong voice. I'm just surprised how many adult juries literally just dumped all their :12: points to her. I was expecting a more spread out scoreboard (as this year was very very strong with many good entries) like with the Kids Jury. :mk: :pl: :bg: and :ua: were all underrated. Especially :mk: as I think it was the best entry they sent in either versions of the ESC in a very long time and was one of the best up-tempo songs this year in a sea of power ballads. I hope she comes back for the adult version when she turns 16, which will be in 2020.

I was not surprised that :am: got 2nd place again but it was so close. ARMTV must be so frustrated as they lost by 7 points! They're becoming the :uk: (before 2000) of JESC with like almost multiple years of being runner-up! I would like to see the full ranking and see what happened to some of these entries.

I was appalled as well how many boos Mariam was getting whenever she got :12: points from the adult jury or when :mt: got less than :7: points thinking they would get showered with points like they did last year. It wasn't as bad as the audience in 2005, but it was pretty terrible and I felt bad for her. She just turned 11 (her birthday was this past Wednesday)!

I'm glad that :it: got 3rd place, and :ie: got 10th place (first time Ireland reached top 10 with a song in Irish), but I thought :au: was really overrated. Her performance was overall lackluster compared to everyone else who preformed to be placed 5th. I was surprised :mt: and :rs: lacked backing dancers as I think they both need them (especially Serbia).

Also, I thought when they stated it would be in multiple locations, I thought the entries would be switching between the Main Auditorium and the Great Ward Stage. Although I can see why they did that as these venues are so much smaller compared to 2014 and 2015. I wonder if they considered other venues like the Malta Fairs and Convention Centre (up to 22,000 capacity) or back in the Malta Shipbuilding as they're much bigger venues.

In conclusion, the whole contest was very well done (considering the very small venue) and the postcards were amazing! They did very well being able to do all that with such a small venue. However, I hope there's more variety next year! I kind of hope :ge: gets the chance to host JESC 2017.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
No, I just enjoy the failures of the fans' conception of how the songs in ESC and JESC should be, and when finally something different places better than their mediocre favourites, they keep on moaning and bashing (we already saw that with Jamala). Now THEY are enjoying the failures of children, not me.

Alright. In a way, I feel you. I recall my OGAE chapter having a pretty universally negative reaction to my 2015 Eurovision favorite (:lv:) with some people claiming that they didn't like it because it was such a different song, and I'd be lying if I said schadenfreude played no role in my happiness at their coming top 10, beating some favorites along the way. And I absolutely oppose (in a vacuum) censoring snark and venom about songs in the adult contest online. But that's because adults have 1) the self-discipline not to look at online comments, 2) the emotional wherewithal needed to withstand the most vicious ones, and 3) the critical thinking skills to realize that said comments are maybe not personal, even if they sound like it. Contestants in Junior Eurovision don't necessarily have any of those just by virtue of their being a lot younger (10-15 vs. 16+ may not be a big jump mathematically, but y'all, think of yourselves at each age and how you'd respond to online criticism). I'm hardly imploring you to avoid any kind of negative comments about the songs - it's perfectly natural and fair to like some of the songs and not like others, and even if it weren't, that'd make me a hypocrite. I'd also like to apologize for singling just you out; it's not fair of me to pick on just you when this is kind of a pattern I'm noticing and I'd stop were it not for my sense of responsibility to give you a response that you do honestly deserve in this case. Just...maybe asking to be careful with word choices and avoid things like "fanwank" and directly expressing happiness that they flopped.

Back to a more direct discussion of the contest! Super great winner, and I'm excited for the possibility of Georgia in 2017. :D

Alaska49

i loved jesc but the winner song is literally the same as gaia cauchi's song with a fancier instrumental and i'm extremely disappointed it won over... well over anything except australia's boring dirge, but specially armenia and russia. i guess it's not as underwhelming as gaia herself or italy's victory, but still. M E H.

also what is gianlucatomoe even rambling about. his taste is more typical eurofan than most people in this board. maybe he should just admit he hates everyone here instead of making it about the elusive concept of "fanwank".

i won't even touch the flop of macedonia or that female hostess right now because i'm still a puddle of magma about it. at least destiny and poli were amazing.

Top Bottom