Contact us

JESC 2021

harey

I didn't listen to the songs before the show and I really enjoyed it. My top 5 was : Ukraine, Georgia, France, Ireland and Germany. Even if I am not a fan of the winning song, it was quality and well deserved!

Bobjan FR

I discovered the songs (except the french one), i voted for russia, albania and ukraine. I thought a moment to vote too for italy, north macedonia, portugal or even France :3

But i was aware of who were the favourite, and in comparison of a few years ago, the contest a way more predictible (ok, it's the same with the adult). The two first in the public vote, far from the others, were the two favourites, i wonder if it's because people liked a lot or because eurofans know that they can vote already before the show, and got more power over the results. For portugal 3rd in public vote.... a interesting surprise, but he was the last one to sing, which seems to be a huge advantage in junior according to theses last years, so we could expect.

AlekS

Veteran
FnN9TU0.jpg
CZzIhkN.jpg

:unsure:

Dr J

Who's the hot air(head) now?xqueenbitch
Not I. I was about 6 points off in predicting Poland's win. Yes, her instagrammers, or the fans they indicate, made a difference.

Everyone is wondering how Portugal came 3rd but I already told you. Portugal performed last. It can't be relied on as a rule but it can make a difference.

To me it means that there were a lot of "stray voters" in this vote, who came not as anyone's fans and did not know who to vote for, but remembered that Portugal was last and it sounded OK. Kids can vote that way. If that is true, it can also account for Armenia's victory in the televote. They voted for anything they liked and, when they couldn't think of a 3rd country to vote for, picked the last one on stage.

I will say that it was cruel to make Arpin perform when she was crying. Bad! Let her rest. Communists win the election and they are the first ones tortured?

So cool off, 94ayd! Calling people hot airheads might make people think you can't handle a debate on the facts.

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
Well well well, that was cool stuff ! Armenia won as planned, it's a really cool song but i think the overall performance missed of a little something, i can't put my finger on it... My winner was Ukraine by a huge margin, the performance was so powerful i really thinked it could grab a lot of points from the juries, she was really robbed imo... Ireland quite surprised me honestly also. Quite disappointed with Italy, and Kazakhstan was actually quite good ! Georgia was my favorite before the show, really glad Niko did so well !

About the show : as french i was really curious to see how FTV would settle ESC, personally i am really (like REALLY) critical with french TV and i gotta say, FTV nailed it super well. It was damn beautiful, and i didn't think i would say that but they are ready to host the adult version, and tbh it looked like this. Carla was quite good (she's no NikkieTutorials but she did it quite well), Gossuin was... meh, and Olivier Minne... xheart It feels so good to hear french people speaking a correct english for once.
Just... stop being self-centered, please please please. Questions like "why did you like Paris so much ?"... Errrrrrr. But yeah it's France, and french people are proud of themselves (no real reasons to, but anyway...), so it doesn't suprised me.

But yeah, every kid did their best and i think they all won in the end.
Also, congrats France TV and Alexandra Redde-Amiel ! (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

Zonne147

ResultsMy final topMy pre-show prediction
1:am::am::pl:
2:pl::fr::fr:
3:fr::mk::ru:
4:ge::pl::am:
5:az::ge::it:
6:ua::ua::ge:
7:ru::ru::ua:
8:kz::az::es:
9:mk::ie::mk:
10:it::it::nl:

xyaaay I can't think of a better outcome since I follow ESC-related contests, everything was just perfect except for that undeserved last place for The Netherlands. I don't think they deserved it, neither would any other country.

Ukraine was a massive grower, she was outstanding, so was Sona from Azerbaijan, their best placement ever is also very very well deserved. Georgia getting 4th was a great gift as well.

When it comes to my country, I'm happy that we got our best placement ever but that wasn't the way I wanted and expected it to happen, I don't think we deserved to be 3rd in the online voting and I definitely didn't see it coming.

Massive congrats to Maléna & :am: , see you in Yerevan!

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Just... stop being self-centered, please please please. Questions like "why did you like Paris so much ?"... Errrrrrr. But yeah it's France, and french people are proud of themselves (no real reasons to, but anyway...), so it doesn't suprised me.
It is funny (actually not) how journalists of all types always ask this type of questions to the people they interview (about the French city the event takes place in, the French opponents they faced in sports etc.) while actual French people can't help but roll their eyes at them. I don't know if it's the Parisian life that put them in their own bubble, but they help to colport the stereotype we are self-centered jerks.

But I'll join my fellow countrymen : I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the show. If we get to host ESC one day maybe we won't make a fool of ourselves.
I couldn't follow the performances as much as I wanted to, pre- show my favorites were :it: :es: :am: but they were all underwhelming live. I am not impressed by :am: as a winner but her look was great on stage :rs: was cute as hell even if the song didn't do much in itself

AlekS

Veteran

A total of 4.3 million votes were cast. The breakdown of the vote by % and estimated total number of votes is:
  1. Armenia – 9.89% – 425,270 votes
  2. Poland – 9.26% – 398,180 votes
  3. Portugal – 8.35% – 359,050 votes
  4. France – 6.08% – 261,440 votes
  5. Ukraine – 5.72% – 245,960 votes
  6. Serbia – 5.63% – 242,090 votes
  7. Georgia – 5.35% – 230,050 votes
  8. North Macedonia – 5.35% – 230,050 votes
  9. Kazakhstan – 5.17% – 222,310 votes
  10. Russia – 4.54% – 195,220 votes
  11. Malta – 4.54% – 195,220 votes
  12. Italy – 4.26% – 183,180 votes
  13. Spain – 4.26% – 183,180 votes
  14. Germany – 4.17% – 179,310 votes
  15. Azerbaijan – 3.81% – 163,830 votes
  16. Albania – 3.54% – 152,220 votes
  17. Ireland – 3.54% – 152,220 votes
  18. Bulgaria – 3.45% – 148,530 votes
  19. Netherlands – 3.09% – 132,870 votes

Such number is a huge success for us, because nobody watches JESC here (the TV rating of 0.5%?), so we traditionally rely on international voters. Moreover, this year the broadcast was moved to a sub-channel UA:Culture. The TV ratings will be abysmal.

Last edited:

Kaz

So I have some thoughts on some entries, I don't know how it'll be received here but I do want to preface everything by saying that all these kids are immensely talented and I wish them all the best, I'm sure this will be a career highlight for them and I hope it was a great experience.

Ukraine
This was the winner for me. Olena had by far the most professional performance and she sounded impeccable. Her performance really showed that you don't need an overly complex LED screen to stand out - standing alone on a black stage surrounded by whirling white lights actually helped her stand out the most compared to all the various neon blue/pink entries. I really thought juries would push her into the Top 3, but I'm still very glad with her placement considering that Ukraine was largely under the radar leading up to the contest.

Portugal
You're telling me Portugal had almost double Italy's amount of online votes? :oops::oops: I mean...definitely unexpected lol.
He performed well. I know the song is a bit of a cult hit, apparently, but it's quite shocking to see him pull a Michal Szpak.

Serbia
I'm not going to debate the quality of this song, although the girls both performed it to the best of their abilities and they should be proud. But Serbia placing 6th in the online vote?

Idk...Portugal and Serbia just highlight that there needs to be a change in the online voting system to me. My theory (*just a theory*) is that a lot of these were strategic votes. And this isn't a once-off phenomenon, it keeps on happening since the introduction of the voting system which requires you to vote for at least 3 entries. And it keeps on happening to Portugal specifically in a way that seems peculiar to me.
Portugal 2017, Youtuber placed 10th online vs 15th jury.
Portugal 2018, Gosto do tudo placed 13th online vs joint last jury.
Portugal 2019, Vem conmigo placed 12th online vs last jury.
Serbia 2020, Heartbeat placed 7th online vs 11th jury.
And now in 2021, O rapaz placed 3rd online vs 18th jury, and Oci Deteta placed 6th online vs 15th jury.

Everyone expected all of these songs to finish in low positions. For the most part, people recognised these songs as being not just potential middle-placers, but rather towards the very bottom. Yet in all these cases the online vote actually did end up placing them towards the middle (or top) of the scoreboard.

This just screams strategic voting to me. People have to vote for at least 3 songs, but if you're a Poland stan (for example), then you're surely not going to vote for your biggest competitor even if you recognise that they have a great performance as well. So instead people are voting for the songs which they know don't realistically have a chance to win.

If this is Portugal/Serbia's strategy towards the contest...I mean, good on them? Because it's working lol.

Realest

Congrats to :am: and :pl:.
Also happy that :ge: reached the Top5.
Surprised :ru: and :it: didnt do better with the Onlinevoter.
Pauline deserved much better.
And wth is :nl: doing at the last Place?

hpp0

Idk...Portugal and Serbia just highlight that there needs to be a change in the online voting system to me. My theory (*just a theory*) is that a lot of these were strategic votes. And this isn't a once-off phenomenon, it keeps on happening since the introduction of the voting system which requires you to vote for at least 3 entries. And it keeps on happening to Portugal specifically in a way that seems peculiar to me.

Everyone expected all of these songs to finish in low positions. For the most part, people recognised these songs as being not just potential middle-placers, but rather towards the very bottom. Yet in all these cases the online vote actually did end up placing them towards the middle (or top) of the scoreboard.

This just screams strategic voting to me. People have to vote for at least 3 songs, but if you're a Poland stan (for example), then you're surely not going to vote for your biggest competitor even if you recognise that they have a great performance as well. So instead people are voting for the songs which they know don't realistically have a chance to win.

If this is Portugal/Serbia's strategy towards the contest...I mean, good on them? Because it's working lol.

I don't want to sound biased but seeing how the gap in online voting between Armenia and Portugal (1st - 3rd) was closer than the gap between Portugal and France (3rd - 4th), I highly doubt that the majority of Portugal's votes came from tactical voting. I'm sure that many votes did in fact came from that but when the difference is so big, it is hard for me to imagine the percentage of these votes being over ~25%. The fact that (J)ESC fans didn't like it and were placing it low doesn't mean much as many times in adult ESC the fandom's favourites have flopped in televoting (San Marino this year is an example). Performing last and delivering a good performance while also being so different to the songs near it must have helped.

About Serbia, again the song being low in rankings doesn't mean too much as they are done mostly by older teens/adults and this song seems to be mostly for younger kids plus they had a great and interesting performance. I don't know how well know JESC is in Serbia but if enough people knew about it, seeing how much their diaspora votes in ESC, I imagine they could get a lot of votes from their country too.

harey

I've seen tweets saying that Portugal was very different from all the other songs and sounded very Portuguese plus he was last in running order. So even if I was surprised by his televote points I guess it makes sense even if not a fan.

Sammy

Veteran
I'm underwhelmed. I really don't know what's so special about the winning song. The staging was of course well done but apart from that... Congrats to Armenia nevertheless.
Still, Poland, France, North Macedonia, Italy or Ukraine made much more impression on me. Sadly, the block/neighbour/whatever you call it voting in the jury results has finally and for good reached JESC. 12 points from Kazakhstan to Russia and vice versa - who would have thought that? Surprise surprise... :mrgreen: But of course they were not the only ones.

Another observation I made is that it's difficult to really compare the songs from younger competitors who also aim for a younger audience to those who are already going in the direction of the adult ESC. I'm happy though that both categories do well.

Kitakaze

Top 3 never in doubt, happy with our winner and even though it was expected I did prefer Poland and France. Already looking forward to the day when Sara represents Poland at Eurovision. Malta doing so well in finishing 12th, Ireland not coming last and Portugal’s televote were probably the biggest surprises of the night. Biggest disappointments for me were definitely Italy and Spain, both cracking songs let down by staging and vocals. Was glad Elizabetta still managed a top 10 finish though. All in all thoroughly enjoyed it!

Dr J

Osterdahl: "We had voters from 199 countries."

Dr J: "(1) How do you know that? (2) Why don't you report the votes from each country if you know that?"

Top Bottom