Contact us

JESC 2021

AlekS

Veteran
:az:

My new #1 (y)

Biscuit02

Azerbaijan is pretty decent but I don't think it will do that well. It's not really impactful
My new top 18:
1.:ru:Russia
2.:nl:Netherlands
3.:fr:France
4.:es:Spain
5.:mk:North Macedonia
6.:ge:Georgia
7.:al:Albania
8.:it: Italy
9.:az: Azerbaijan
10.:ie: Ireland
11.:bg: Bulgaria
12.:pl:Poland
13.:ua:Ukraine
14.:rs:Serbia
15.:de:Germany
16.:mt:Malta
17.:pt: Portugal
18.:kz:Kazakhstan

esc87fan

Interval acts: Barbara Pravi will perform "Voilà" and Valentina will perform a Christmas version of "J'imagine"

AlekS

Veteran
Malena's song is called Qami Qami.
I've just heard a longer leak and I was expecting more than that from her, it's nowhere close to "Why".
Thought it would be :am: vs. :az: for my #1, but it's :az: vs. :ge:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
Malena's song is called Qami Qami.
I've just heard a longer leak and I was expecting more than that from her, it's nowhere close to "Why".
Thought it would be :am: vs. :az: for my #1, but it's :az: vs. :ge:

If you've heard a "longer leak" of a song, then it means that you didn't hear it at all. Officially, the song still doesn't exist. Let's wait for its proper release.

hpp0

Is there a certain date until which all must have released/sent to ebu their songs like in esc? Or actually, is it known when Armenia will release their entry and Kazakhstan the final version of their song?

Biscuit02

Well the final song is released and I am a little bit dissapointed, it's still a good song but Armenia had something really special with ''why'' last year, this year it's just ok I can't see it going far.
My new top 19 (not final)
1.:ru:Russia
2.:nl:Netherlands
3.:fr:France
4.:es:Spain
5.:mk:North Macedonia
6.:ge:Georgia
7.:al:Albania
8.:it: Italy
9.:az: Azerbaijan
10.:ie: Ireland
11.:am: Armenia
12.:bg: Bulgaria
13.:pl:Poland
14.:ua:Ukraine
15.:rs:Serbia
16.:de:Germany
17.:mt:Malta
18.:pt: Portugal
19.:kz:Kazakhstan

Schlagerman1

So my ranking so far of all the songs in JESC 2021:
1. :pt: (A very unique and beautiful song, but it will not be placed high I'm afraid)
2. :am: (I really like the beat in this and feels fresh in a sea of cuteness...)
3. :mk: (A cool song that I still wonder how the heck they are going to choreograph without getting messy)
4. :it: (Classic rock which a slight tendency to get repetive)
5. :ru: (The hook in the song is among the strongest, but feels like it goes nowhere in the end)
6. :ie: (Classic rock again with the cutest boy in the competition. But something is missing to go all the way)
7. :fr: (Quite cool, just a bit repetive...)
8. :az: (Has potentail in the start, but towards the middle of the song I start to lose interest)
9. :pl: (Not for me, but I can totally see this win though.)
10. :ua: (Feels like a song that would be in my top 5, but something is just not connecting the dots here...)
11. :de: (A decent effort comparing to last years trainwreck)
12. :es: (For me the song feels both too slow and too fast at the same time, but can see it do pretty well)
13. :ge: (Same as before, song is not my style, but the singer is very charismatic and will be remembered by the voters)
14. :mt: (A little too cheesy for me, but at least the singing and rapping is pretty good)
15. :rs: (Too childish for me)
16. :nl: (I just don't get the song, it feels a bit too all over the place)
17. :al: (I really struggle to remember the song when it ends...not a good sign)
18. :kz: (I wonder how they will revamp the song, cause the singers are a bit too different from each other...and the song is a bit old fashioned.)
19. :bg: (The kids are good, but the song is almost unbareble to listen to...)

Overall judgement of 2021....Meh xshrug
As said earlier, a lot of songs this year goes on the cute and childfriendly side, which I normally don't mind. But it is a bit too over the top on most cases, either mimicking what France and Kazakhstan did last year and not really come to something on their own. I also find many songs lacking a stong chorus, and if they do have a chorus it is very repetive, to the point of annoying. All these kids are talented, it is never their fault, I blame the broadcasters on most cases, since they are the ones picking the songs for them.

But when the draw is made, I could bet all my money on the one getting slot 19 to win in the end. Feels like one of those years again. :p

EscGeek

Veteran
I can now reveal to you that my winner is:...

:ua: Olena Usenko!! xleftxyaaay

I knew it as soon as she was selected, but i didn't wanna jump the gun xmusic
Her song feels so loud and powerful and it gets me hyped up. She seems ready for the adult contest. I'm a little surprised that she's so underrated in youtuber's tops. But then again, maturity at JESC doesn't bother me, neither does immaturity at the adult contest.
Ukraine parkoured itself from my last place in Rotterdam to my first place now in 6 months. :lol:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
:ua: - an EPIQUE power ballad that is honestly good enough to win vidbir but will finish like 8th in jesc because nothing this pure can contend with the toxic (spanish and polish) fanbases.
:al: - elvana gjata liiiiiives ::eagle screech::
:ie: - after, what, seven(?) entrants from ireland and wales, "awkward celtic twerp who is out of their way depth with their lametastic pop song" has become a beloved trope in jesc for me so needless to say i'm already obsessed with saor's disarming stupidity, glorious highlights include maiu's general turtle-in-the-headlights affect and splicing in rhymes like "zoom tv, c'est la vie" xheart
:de: - lame in all the right ways, ideal for jesc tbh. pauline's intense dork affect xheart good thing this is jesc, because i bet germany totally would have submitted 'imagine us' to adult esc if given the opportunity and then would have been utterly blindsided by yet another 0 in the televote xheart
:it: - måneskin's power is well underway to claiming its second victory i see
:pl: i *thought* this one would drop off at consequetive listens because ew, competent songs, gtfo, but turns out this song is just genuinely good.
:fr: - if you can't get barbara pravi, get a barbara pravi look-alike with a barbara pravi sound-alike i guess.
:ru: - a blatant attempt to win jesc which is just as likely to fail horribly once it collides headfirst into the poland/spain buzzsaw.
:am: - it's astounding how melfest fanwank flops are treated like gold dust the second they hit jesc.
:mk: - unlike poland, this does drop off at every consequetive listen. bitch wishes it was balkan mega mix iii (aka "nova deca").
:es: - that awkward moment when you're this close to having a trueborn bop, and then fall into the midtempo trap.
:ge: - what a lametastic mess, i stan?
:nl: -i'm all for creative language combo's, but if it's used on a boring song it's no more than novelty.
:az: - well aren't we glad azerbaijan returned to serve bland mello ballads nobody cares for. what would we have ever done without them.
:rs: - one of seven potential entries and it shows.
:pt: - the guy who sang "um flor da verde pinho" finally completed his transfomation into benjamin button.
:mt: - almost reaches a point of So Bad It's Great but this year is strong enough that i don't need to cling on the pathetic for the sake of my amusement, so toodles.
:bg: - vasil needs to be BANNED from music.

i haven't heard kazakhstan yet, but that national selection reeks. able-bodied boy and disabled boy tie, the jury INSISTS on declaring both of them winners because they just cannot decide which entry they want.. but they all agrees they should sing the able-bodied boy's song :-) i hope you have spotted why i count my blessings that kazakhstan are currently banned from esc proper.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
Is it me or is JESC 2021 getting better and worse in most unexpected aspects? Some underrated countries delivered some good gems but somehow the contest delivered way too many smexy-sounding/'ambiguous' songs we could've asked for in a children's competition.

Schlagerman1

Is it me or is JESC 2021 getting better and worse in most unexpected aspects? Some underrated countries delivered some good gems but somehow the contest delivered way too many smexy-sounding/'ambiguous' songs we could've asked for in a children's competition.
Care to explain in what way it is too many smexy and ambiguous songs? Sure, this kind of childrens competetions will always have a few acts that will go that line, but I think it has been less of that lately. I mean, many of the outfits that the kids how lately are very well dressed and is far from the lines of some entrants had when they competed (I am looking at you swedish dancers of 2014, the designer that put those girls in those dresses should not be allowed to work in TV again).

FabiESC

My Top 19

01 :mk:
02 :az:
03 :it:
04 :mt:
05 :ie:
06 :am:
07 :ua:
08 :nl:
09 :pl:
10 :de: