Well I was certain of a spanish win, but after seeing this, I am not 100% sure....do people really want to see masks on stage, don't we just take a moment to forget about everything?
Anyhow, looks like it will be a rather good show, I like that the stages look fairly similar after all and it does look fair to me.
If I were to make a guess on the results, I would probably put it like this:
1. - I keep Spain as the number one, the song is very catchy and Solea is a great performer. But those masks uhhh...I don't know about that....
2. - I see this doing extremly well with the juries, but fail on the online vote. The stage performance looks wacky as hell, but Karakat has a beautiful voice that will shine bright on Sunday.
3. - The best song of the competition, that will probably do the opposite of Kazakhstan. Arina looks so secure on stage and will bring home lots of online vote by that. But I am afraid that for political reasons, she won't get to win, sadly.
4. - The first outsider that I think might sneak in and grab it, especially if Spains performance becomes too cool for school. It is very sweet, even too sweet for my taste, but France has been close lately and might get it by default this time around, seeing this is a weak year and they perform last....and well that has happened A LOT in JESC, trust me.
5. - Another great song by a good singer, feels very georgian. But it feels like the performance has been done before with the flowers and balletish dancers, it doesn't feel fresh enough. Though, Georgia has a great record in JESC and might surprise to do very well with the juries I believe.
6. - Yeah, it is a cheesy song, but at least it is rather memorable. Sofia sings it well and what girl or boy hasn't dreamt of being a real disney princess...and here she is. May probably do better in juries than viewers, but if the Russians at home feeling it, then they might log in and click for their girl.
7. - The dutch loves JESC and if some song would come out of the blue and grab a win, it might be Unity. Sure, they aren't exactly synchronized or the best singers, but they got a real happy song that is supercatchy. And don't underestimate the dutch voters, they have already won the online vote before recently.
8. - I just can't remember how this song goes and it will probably do very badly in the jury, probably bottom 2. But this JESC is after all held in Poland, and we know that the poles know now how to vote in JESC and that will help Ala to get a few places higher.
9. - There are few guys in the competition, and even if none of the two has a perfect song, I do believe Ukraine has the better chances. I do feel it gets lost between Spain and France, but if people wants something different, it might do decently. But I can't see it being in the top half though.
10. - Malta came last previous year with something rather different, while this year they are trying to go back to basics. It is nothing wrong with the song, Chanel sings it well and it feels age appropriate, though I feel it will get pretty lost in the mix.
11. - With no friendly countries in the contest this year, I see Serbia struggle a lot. The song is decent, might do okay in the juries, but will drop of a lot in the online vote.
12. - It is not Susans fault, but this song is a trainwreck. It doesn't fit her voice at all and the staging is dark and pretty dull from what I can see. I can't see anyone remembering this, and seeint that the germans are new in the game and probably doesn't fully understand how to vote yet, I see this coming dead last. Poor girl.
The only-one-I-truly-root-for category
I'm in love with his voice, not only he can sing high but he showed us quite a few low notes. It's actually this variation that did it for me, he broke the otherwise ordinary melody.
The pretty-strong-but-not-there-yet category
I'm disappointed with the long build-up because the second part of the song is an insta 12 for me. I always loved it when there is some random rap parts in a song, and this is no exception.
The more I listen to it the more I like it. The start gives me some north-african ballad vibes. I think a lower tone would fit the song better though, and I would appreciate it if it was less repetitive.
I already shared my thoughts about our entry, but let's put a reminder. It's fresh and joyful, we need it in this sea of ballads, but please stop with the lalala parts, it brings nothing but putting me on edge.
The decent-effort-but-could-do-better category
After some bangers Poland went the more classical route but it works, even if it brings nothing new.
Okay this is the start of the "nice voice, but ordinary song" common theme, shouting chorus and all. She does it well though, I can give her that.
The only other boy in this selection. I like his voice but the song is too flat.
The not-impressed category
Everytime I get reminded I love hearing Dutch language in a song but this is way too uninteresting for me. Flat, kinda kitsch if I dare to say, it brings no novelty.
Same comment as for Georgia, but it resonates less with me.
I swear it sounds like a Russian happier version of Mulan's Reflection. We're just lacking the river and crying girl to complete the Disney ballad bingo.
I have nothing much to say about it tbh. Decent but that's it.
Classical ballad, but aside from her singing qualities it did nothing too me.
Overall I'm not impressed, the ballads all feel too conventional and not really modern. There's no real banger either. Come on guys, where are the fireworks, I feel like I heard theses melodies a million times already.
None of the songs are truly bad, but I don't really have a one I'd love either. It's a big pity screws up with the English parts, I really like the start of the song but than it goes nowhere.
Ended up voting for , and , I could also get behind and .