Contact us

JAPAN | 184 | 曽我部瑚夏「忘れられた池 feat. Yuki Murata(Anoice)」

Uto

Veteran
yfp2.png

4s4kiHotei ft Aina The EndFAKYKonatsu Sogabe ft Yuki Murata
Hyper Angry CatAndromedaBad ThingsWasure Rareta Ike (Forgotten Pond)

Last edited:

ZoboCamel

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV103: Aimer feat. Chelly - Ninelie | WV104 NF: Best of 2018

WV104 NF: Best of 2018

It's already midnight as I'm posting this, so I'm going to be a little briefer here than usual. But I'm finally back with another NF, and given the time of year I thought it might be nice to do a retrospective on 2018.

So I've decided to take six of my favourite new releases from last year, throw them into an NF and have the WV community decide on my next entry. Even leaving aside stuff I've already had in NFs, and only going for songs with a proper video on YouTube already, I'm surprised by what I was able to piece together. Anyway, let's dive into it!

1. Soraru - Gin no Kisei

2. Lenny Code Fiction - Make My Story

3. Kanako Itou - Fatima

4. Leo Imai - Bite

5. True - Sincerely

6. The Peggies - Kimi no Sei

Recap Video

Text List
Soraru - Gin no Kisei
Lenny Code Fiction - Make My Story
Kanako Itou - Fatima
Leo Imai - Bite
True - Sincerely
The Peggies - Kimi no Sei

I'd really appreciate whatever votes I can get - if you're interested, please send them in my usual system (10-7-5-3-2-1), giving 10 points to your favourite song and 1 point to your least favourite. Deadline: 22nd of January, 02:00CET.

ZoboCamel

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV103: Aimer feat. Chelly - Ninelie | WV104 NF: Best of 2018

A belated thanks again to all those who got Aimer to 15th place in the final! The running order for vote reveals got my hopes up a bit too much early on, but any qualification is still a win for me, and I'm happy to get Aimer's best result yet at WV.

Regarding my NF for WV104 - I've only got the one set of votes so far (thanks to Robert and ::yohu!), so it's time for some mention-spam. I might delay the NF and just go with another internal choice if I can't get some more voters, but hopefully it doesn't come to that. Anyways:

[MENTION=12072]Amir[/MENTION] [MENTION=16089]anaraqueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=4724]EurovisionSmile[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=12992]Fierro[/MENTION] [MENTION=16177]Himan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=12033]Nicholas123[/MENTION] [MENTION=14372]Uvaro[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION]

Apologies if I've missed anyone (or included names of people who are on break), but as always anybody is more than welcome to vote.

I'm setting the deadline here at 02:00 CET on the 22nd of January, so you've got about two days left to vote. Looking forward to seeing people's thoughts!

P.S. I'll try to get around to voting in other NFs tonight :)

ShoeFlo

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV104 NF: Best of 2018

As you can imagine I am quite busy these days but maybe in the evening (what is early morning for you) I might take myself time to vote in here :)

ZoboCamel

As you can imagine I am quite busy these days but maybe in the evening (what is early morning for you) I might take myself time to vote in here :)

Oops, yes... I forgot about the whole "hosting" thing when mentioning you, my bad xshifty Though I'd still love to have your votes if you could find the time, of course!

ZoboCamel

The deadline has passed, and we have six sets of votes in! Definitely an improvement over one. Thanks a bunch to ::yohu:paci::lb::neus::au:::hamb

I was able to correctly predict which songs would make the top three (as well as predicting the bottom three in order), but the ordering of the top three - and the individual scores that people gave throughout - were pretty surprising for me. Anyway, here are the results:

That's a pretty healthy lead given the lower voter count; hopefully that translates into a qualification at the main contest! Fingers crossed.

ZoboCamel

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV104: Kanako Itou - Fatima

WV104: Kanako Itou - Fatima

And so she wins it! I've had Kanako Itou on my shortlist for ages now with a few different songs, so first of all, I'm glad to see her finally ending up at the contest.

Slightly busy at the moment, so not much time for general rambling, but I'll note that this is my third entry to come from the soundtrack to Steins;Gate (the first two being Jun Murakami's Farewell back in WV79... and then going even further back, Takeshi Abo's Believe Me, as my debut entry in WV65). Both have come close to qualifying; hopefully Kanako Itou will be the third-time charm for the series' soundtracks?

As with most of the stuff I've been considering from Kanako Itou, Fatima is a big bombastic pile of synth-heavy... rock? pop? with some powerful vocals and melodic string instrumentals thrown on top. Those strings are what really make the song stick out for me; I'm a sucker for fast-paced orchestral sounds being used for rock sounds, and this is no exception. I'm glad to see this winning the ticket to WV104.

Anyways, here are the results of my NF, paired with some thoughts on how each song went:

p7Icczk.png

• Fatima had a pretty strong run throughout here, grabbing the lead by a few points on the second set of votes and never really letting go. Seeing as my NFs tend to be super-close a lot of the time, this is a decent margin; hopefully it bodes well.
  • Gin no Kisei ending in second is pretty much exactly what I expected of it. I felt like this may have been the song with the best qualification chances at WV, and it attracted some pretty decent support here; I'm curious to find out how it would've gone (though I suppose it's similar to Nano, who I've NQ'ed with twice now). Another time, perhaps...
  • Sincerely was the song that I expected to win this NF; big ballads usually go down well in my selections here. And indeed, it got just as many top-scores as eventual winner Fatima. But it was apparently quite polarising, coming either first or bottom-2 with all but one voter, which seems to have hurt it here in the end.
  • Make My Story came bursting out the gate with a surprise 10, but didn't really make much of an impact on the scoreboard past that. If I was forced to pick, this might be my personal 1-pointer of the selection (though of course I like them all), so I've got no complaints about its placing: beaten out by some songs that are a tad higher in my eyes, but still getting some appreciation from a few voters.
  • Kimi no Sei got about the reaction I thought it would: people seemed to like the melodies and sounds, but weren't big on the vocals. High-pitched female vocals and men with cheesy upbeat pop always seem to get me my biggest flops in WV and its NFs, so I'm not too surprised here, but I'd still like to send this (or something similar) at some point in future.
  • Bite in last place is also exactly what I was expecting to see here. Frankly, it did better than I thought it would; this kind of stuff never goes down too well at WV, so I was surprised to see it ending with just a single last-place rank. I'm happy to have shared something a little more out-there in this NF, at least!

Thanks again to my NF voters ::yohu:paci::lb::neus::au:::hamb. Hopefully you're happy enough with the eventual winner here!

Before we wrap up, I may as well leave a video of the opening theme to Steins;Gate 0, which is set to Fatima:

Now, all that's left is to hope and pray that I'll somehow manage a third consecutive qualification, which would be pretty much superstar levels of success by my usual standards... xheat

ZoboCamel

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV111: Jun Maeda - The Place Where Wishes Come True II

WV111: Jun Maeda - The Place Where Wishes Come True II

I'd been meaning to finally update my green room thread for this edition's entry anyway, but... this really isn't the kind of post I'd wanted to make.

My entry for this edition, Jun Maeda's The Place Where Wishes Come True II, is something I've loved for many years now. As perhaps one of the most iconic anime soundtracks out there – coming from the famous climax of one of my favourite series – it's meant a lot to me for a long time. Unfortunately, a couple of days after I submitted the entry, it's taken on a lot more meaning for me in the light of recent news events: namely, the recent arson attack in Kyoto.

The Place Where Wishes Come True II plays towards the end of Clannad: After Story, a much-loved 2008 anime series from Kyoto Animation. Just this Thursday, however, the studio's main building was hit with an arson attack that left 33 staff dead – almost half of all who were there – and most others injured. It's the worst mass killing in Japan in around 20 years, and I'm... kind of at a loss for words about the whole thing.

I've been sort of in shock for the last few days, just angry and sad and frustrated and so much more that someone would not only carry out something so terrible in the first place, but that they'd target one of the most-loved creators in an entire medium. Kyoto Animation is perhaps Japan's most well-regarded animation studio outside of Ghibli, and they've built up a reputation over the years both for their shows – memorable, iconic and perfectly polished – and for their business practices, being famous for treating their workers better than any other studio in what's known to be a tough industry.

Like many other people, I've grown up with Kyoto Animation's shows. And while clearly the biggest tragedy here is the loss of life, regardless of anyone's profession (in a sense I feel kind of guilty for thinking about their work at a time like this), it does make it hurt all the more when those being targeted in this attack were all innocent, creative, mostly young people at the top of their craft, and who've spent years putting out content to make people smile. It's just... urgh.

I know that this is all pretty unusual and dark as far as WV green room posts go; I just felt I should write something, given how closely my memories of this entry are tied in with my memories of the victims in this attack. (On which note, the composer himself, Jun Maeda, is safe, as he isn't a part of the targeted studio itself; past that, I don't yet know the status of the rest of the staff who worked on the series that this soundtrack is from).

On one hand, the fact that I've got this entry representing me right now feels like a very fitting tribute of sorts, albeit an accidental one (seeing as the incident happened after I sent in the entry). On the other, it's rather awkward, and absolutely not the circumstances I'd hoped to have as the backdrop for this post. More than anything WV-related or anime-related, though, I'm just desperately hoping that all of the injured manage to recover.

For a short bit on the entry itself, The Place Where Wishes Come True II has been near the top of my shortlist since I first joined the contest back in WV65. I've always been a huge fan of the stories and music made by KEY, and this is song is another one in that vein: as part of the Clannad: After Story soundtrack, it actually plays directly after Distant Years (another Jun Maeda song that I sent back in WV76) in what's probably the show's most memorable episode.

Past just this and Distant Years (WV76), Jun Maeda is in a sense my most-sent artist in WV, having also been the composer behind Aozora (WV72), Haruka Kanata (WV96) and Last Regrets (WV108), as well as a major stylistic influence for the composers of Sanka (WV67) and Scene Shifts There (WV81) at the very least. This latest entry is perhaps better-known in the broader fandom than all of those, though.

As for the story that this serves as the soundtrack for, Clannad: After Story is one of my all-time favourite shows, sitting somewhere in my top 10 out of the 700-ish series I've tried out. Even setting aside all of the recent tragedy, it's something I'd absolutely recommend to anyone with an interest in anime and/or well-written drama, albeit with a few caveats (i.e. the character designs can take some getting used to; and reaching the real meat of the show requires first watching the original Clannad, which is great but with a slightly different tone, as well as the earlier few episodes of After Story, which are mostly little side-stories before the main plot gets rolling).

I've always particularly appreciated how the show's animation and music worked together to heighten its emotional impact. And with this song in particular – I don't want to spoil anything specific in case somebody intends to watch the series, but there's a certain scene (link here, if you're curious and don't mind major spoilers for the whole series) in which the narrative build-up just fits so perfectly with the way in which the soundtrack's violins come in at around 0:53 in the song. While it might sound cheesy, and likely won't have the same impact without watching all of the lead-up in previous episodes, that scene might just be the most emotional I've ever gotten watching media of any sort.

Anyway, I should probably stop soon before I ramble on for too much longer. Apologies if this has all been rather off-topic; I just thought it would've been wrong to ignore the recent news in my green room post, or to be particularly late on the post if I'd spent time writing up thoughts on previous editions instead. Thanks for reading.

ZoboCamel

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV112: An acoustic ballad of some sort

WV111: Jun Maeda - The Place Where Wishes Come True II
19th place | 90 points

Slightly late to post this, but thanks to everyone who got The Place Where Wishes Come True II into the final & into 19th place! It might not be a board-topping score (and the background events certainly weren't what I'd hoped to be thinking about for the edition), but I'm very happy to have made the final, which is always the main goal for me.

Especially this time around... given I'd been holding this in the wings for almost 50 editions, I would've been quite sad to miss out. Thanks for getting me through, though, and for enjoying the song!

Particular thanks go to:

:12: :ca:
:10: :tr:
:8: :susa::lv:
:7: :il::svea:
:6: :is::pt:::bava
:5: :wale::ro:
:4: :no:
:3:
:2: :be::en:
:1: :ua::paci:

For WV112 – as with the last few editions, I've been wanting to hold another NF but didn't end up having the time to get around to it (or to voting in anybody else's – sorry about that!).

I'm fairly excited about my backup plan though, if you could call it that. I've been itching to send this song to WV since I first heard it a few months back, and now that it's finally got a full-length release I can do just that!

The song I've gone with this time around is an English-language acoustic ballad that's somewhat more stripped-back than my usual stuff. So it's hard to say how it'll go – I've never really sent that combination of elements before. As always, I'll be thrilled if I can make the finals and/or see some people getting into it.

Unfortunately the Japanese copyright demons have struck once again, so I've been relegated to Dailymotion for the edition (though I have a YouTube backup link in the form of a pixellated, Indonesian-subbed version that's inexplicably stayed up). Regardless, I'm looking forward to the edition xheya

ZoboCamel

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV112: Carole & Tuesday - The Loneliest Girl

A few days late to post this but but eyyyyy, at least I made it before the voting deadline for once. :lol:

I've been wanting to send The Loneliest Girl to WV for a few months now, ever since I first heard it. The song comes from an anime series (named Carole & Tuesday, after the main characters) about a couple of young musicians getting their start in the music industry, and story-wise it's the first song the characters work on.

I was hooked as soon as I heard the basic melody as a demo in episode 1, and the more fleshed-out version (a minute long) in the second episode was even better. That already had me hoping to send the song to WV, but it took a while to hear a full-length version – which came in episode 12, in the context of the characters performing on an in-universe talent show. That also gave me the video I've used for this edition (while I considered just using a static image background to put the focus on the song itself, I ended up figuring I may as well use the video if it's there).

[video=dailymotion;x7fbnr1]https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x7fbnr1[/video]​

Leaving aside the anime series it's from, The Loneliest Girl is right up my alley as far as ballads go; while I'd typically like my songs to grow more throughout, I just can't resist those tinkly piano melodies. It's also not often I get the chance to send a fully English-language song I love from Japan - after joining in WV65, this is only the third one! The only two I've sent before were ultra-flop The Rock City Boy in WV71 (18th in the semi) and the surprisingly-successful History Maker (8th in the final) in WV105.

No idea where my latest entry will fall on that spectrum – especially when considering that on one hand ballads tend to do better than a lot of my usual stuff, while on the other my last quiet acoustic song (Fuyu Biyori, WV93) was my worst result ever. And I wasn't at the LL either, so I'm totally blind on the reception. Point is, I've got no clue; I'm just hoping someone will enjoy it!

TBGX12s.jpg

As for the two singers behind the song – well, to begin with, I wasn't sure of how to name them for this edition. The individual singers, in the real world, go by the names Nai Br.XX and Celeina Ann, with the former voicing Carole in the show and the latter voicing Tuesday. Some sources just credit their joint songs then as "Nai Br.XX and Celeina Ann"... but officially they're "Carole & Tuesday" for the anime soundtrack project, and that's a catchier name, so I went with that.

I hadn't actually heard of either of the artists before their Carole & Tuesday collaboration, and while they've both done a few previous songs, I'm not huge on the styles of that stuff (it's more along the midtempo radio pop line of things). I quite like how their voices come together, though, and how they work in with the style of the Carole & Tuesday project, so that's something!

The two singers apparently got their "roles" for the characters, if you'd call them that, via an audition project, which... sounds really unusual and quite interesting as far as soundtracks go, honestly. I'm not complaining, though, since the end result is up my alley (and especially since the choice of Celeina Ann – who's half-Japanese, and lives and works in Japan – makes this song eligible for WV, seeing as Nai Br.XX is American).

Anyways, that's about it for this post – hope you enjoy! I've got some spare time over the next few days, so I might try and finally get around to setting up an NF for the next edition...

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

As I was watching the video for this, I was thinking to myself “gosh, this animation is stunning”. The anime name was familiar to me as well, and I’ve only just realised why. It’s only gosh darn directed by Cowboy Bebop mastermind, Shinichirō Watanabexheat No wonder it looks so beautiful and stylish. I’ve absolutely got to add this to my must watch list. I notice it’s conveniently coming to Netflix on the 30th of this month (same day as The Dark Crystal which I’m excited for too). I hope my body will be prepared for some serious binge watching.

As for the song itself? It’s so gorgeous. I liked it at the LL, but going back to it for more listens and I’m falling in love. It’s a simple pop ballad, performed by two pop vocalists, but there’s something so tender in their rendition that elevates it for me. Particularly towards the end there’s such a heartwarming fragility to their voices. It really is a lovely entry and I hope you sail through with it.

Also, all hail whoever this icon is...

18137-479339015.png

ZoboCamel

Thanks to everyone who voted Carole & Tuesday into the final! It's not often I manage to qualify twice in a row, and I'm not sure how well I'll do in what's shaping up to be a strong final, but I'll take what I can get xheya

Now, for something that's been far too long...

WV113 NF: Rock & Instrumentals

My last NF in WorldVision was nine editions ago, apparently... jeez. I've been itching to do one for a while now, and I've finally managed to get one together without leaving it too late.

I was planning at first for this to be a five-song general NF. But one of those five felt like it'd have zero chance in an NF despite me wanting to send it, so look forward to that as an internally selected flop for WV114 or something :lol: I then realised I was left with a couple of rock-ish songs and a couple of instrumentals, so here we are!

1. Minami - Kawaki wo Ameku

2. Taishi - Encounter Like A Rendezvous (In Another World)

3. Survive Said The Prophet - Found & Lost

4. Chronos Record - Mi Decisión

Recap Video

Text List
Minami - Kawaki wo Ameku
Taishi - Encounter Like A Rendezvous (In Another World)
Survive Said The Prophet - Found & Lost
Chronos Record - Mi Decisión

If you're interested, please send me a PM ranking each song from 0-10. Decimals are allowed, and comments are very welcome but not required. Deadline has been set for 12:00CET on the 30th of August.

I may as well throw out a few mentions for now, though of course I'll be more than happy to accept votes from anyone else too:

[MENTION=16089]anaraqueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=4724]EurovisionSmile[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=12837]JamieBrown[/MENTION] [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=4911]kopachka[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION] [MENTION=12848]MARCOMEN[/MENTION] [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION]

Thanks for reading!

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Re: Japan | 日本 | WV112: Carole & Tuesday - The Loneliest Girl | WV113: Rock & Instrumentals NF

I wonder which song will be my favorite :rolleyes:

JSSArcos

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV112: Carole & Tuesday - The Loneliest Girl | WV113: Rock & Instrumentals NF

Will try to vote soon:D

Did very well send the music of this edition with video clip thanks for that xheart

esc87fan

Thank you so much for sharing Carole & Tuesday with us, I listened to a few more songs from the show and really liked them. You might be interested to know that the singing voice of Angela, Alisa, was in the 2003 Sailor Moon live action series playing Mio Kuroki, a rival idol of Minako (Sailor Venus)

ZoboCamel

A belated thanks to [MENTION=16089]anaraqueen[/MENTION] for being my first NF voter!

She's the only one so far; I'll just be sitting here until more votes come. Waiting.

On a separate note, it's nice to hear that people are enjoying my WV112 entry! I actually came across a live performance for the first time just the other day. Behold, in all of its potato-quality glory:

(Seriously, how did they even get the quality that bad on something recorded just two weeks ago? It makes Moldovan NF audition livestreams look good... but I digress.)

Thank you so much for sharing Carole & Tuesday with us, I listened to a few more songs from the show and really liked them. You might be interested to know that the singing voice of Angela, Alisa, was in the 2003 Sailor Moon live action series playing Mio Kuroki, a rival idol of Minako (Sailor Venus)

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff I like in the show – and a surprising amount of diversity between the different featured artists. Plus, there are still 8 episodes or so left to air, so I'm interested to see what else comes up in the soundtrack...

I looked up the stuff you mentioned about Angela's singing voice, by the way, because it sounded like an interesting little thing to dive into... but I think you've (understandably) got the wrong person. From what I can see, Mio Kuroki was played by Japanese model Alisa Durbrow, born in 1988, while the vocals for Carole & Tuesday's Angela comes from Japanese–English–Australian indie musician Alisa, born in 1998. It still ended up making for some interesting searching, though – I wasn't aware her vocalist was part-Aussie, and that she'd even gone to university in Melbourne!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

::yohu has voted :D Lovely selection of songs although I did have a clear favourite by the end xheart Best of luck xcheer

Gabor77

I'll vote soon :D :hu:

ZoboCamel

Re: Japan | 日本 | WV113: Rock & Instrumentals NF

Many thanks to all those who got The Loneliest Girl to 13th in the final with 99 points! For a more minimalist song – and something I wasn't even sure would qualify – that's a very nice result to get. Happy to see people liked it!

A particular shout-out to these lovely voters from the final:

:12::paci: xheat
:10::ca:
:8::tr::ua:
:7::cy::hr:::yohu
:6::hu:
:5::fi::rs::nl::sobr:
:4:
:3::seou:
:2::at::sc:
V2qtWQN.png

:1:::sthm:pe::es::west::neus:

Now, onto fresher pastures...

My NF for WV113 continues, and I've set the deadline for the 30th of August, 12:00CET (6 hours before the WV submission deadline). 3 sets of votes in now (my thanks to :west:::yohu!), and while we do have a leader at the moment, it's still all rather close. So it's time for some more mentions!

[MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=4724]EurovisionSmile[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=12837]JamieBrown[/MENTION] [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=4911]kopachka[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=12848]MARCOMEN[/MENTION] [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] and of course, anybody else who's interested!

Top Bottom