5 2.8%

4 2.3%

10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Ajeje Brazorf

Those entries might have inspired you, but it's quite a subjective term to begin with. Italian entries are diverse, yes, but they are each very typical and classic representations of rock, opera, jazz etc. We don't get any synths, any EDM or pop even though this is the most mainstream music all over Europe. I am not saying Italy is on the wrong track, it seems to be successful for them, but I'm saying it's just not for me.

This is where the problem begins. A woman singing pop will never win Sanremo.

In Italy the song wins Sanremo, not the artist... It's always been so. If the song is not considered enough, than you don't win Sanremo. A pop song can win Sanremo, and a woman can easily win Sanremo (from 1997 to 2003, a woman soloist won Sanremo 4 times out of 7, and Jalisse and Matia Bazar won with a female leading singer). Why? Because their songs were good enough to win it all. When I heard some people was rooting for Ana Mena or Elettra to win past Sanremo's I was saying: "No, it's not gonna happen with this song and performance" and I was right. They hadn't any chance from the start because the songs they presente were catchy, but lirically were meh at best and the vocals were not good enough. Elisa this year had a lot more chances, and she came close with a beautiful ballad, with great lyrics and a great voice. And I would have preferred her as our representative instead of Blanco and Mahmood, there's no secret here. A contest should consider all those things to be succesful, in my opinion, otherwise it is not a musical contest, but a popularity contest. Actually the only female singers that have the capability to win Sanremo based on their previous works are Annalisa (but needs a better song than Dieci, to fully display her vocal abilities) or Arisa (but she needs to be back to her "La Notte" days). Others, I don't see that happening for now, but who knows.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
The only thing I can say about Sanremo is the fact that it is harder for female acts, I don't agree at all with the defense that "they had weaker entries", that is simply untrue. There is a bias against female acts that needs to be addressed and acknowledged.

With that being said, Sanremo is way more open these days to different music, and more modern stuff, than before and that's a big plus. There is still a looming conservatism impacting it however, but it's for sure much better than it was just some years ago. Yet, 2022 saw a fallback imho.

I still applaud Sanremo for staying authentic and representing Italian music without compromising to Eurovision, and here Sanremo is in its own league and the quality (overall speaking) remains some of the highest of all national selections, which is really a consequence of being a selection of the local music scene, something most countries should copy (not the format though, it's pretty dire).

Ajeje Brazorf

The only thing I can say about Sanremo is the fact that it is harder for female acts, I don't agree at all with the defense that "they had weaker entries", that is simply untrue. There is a bias against female acts.

As for modernisation of Sanremo, it is way more open these days to different acts than before and that's a big plus. There is still a looming conservatism impacting it, but it's for sure much better than it was in the past.

Points of view... In terms of songs, imo, the best decade for Sanremo are the '90s. I follow Sanremo since 1993 and the best years were 1994, 1997 and 2007 songwise and in terms of musicality, imo. In the last 15 years we had good Sanremo's (2017 and 2020, are good examples), average Sanremo's (like 2021, with a great winner, and 2022) and bad Sanremo's (2009 and 2010 were awful editions, for example... If we were in ESC we would have ended dead last or bottom five with every single song that year). It is like ESC, not every year is good. But, since I watched it, nothing came close to those three years qualitywise.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Points of view... In terms of Songs, imo, the best decade for Sanremo are the '90s. I follow Sanremo since 1993 and the best years were 1994, 1997 and 2007 songwise and musicwise, imo.

I can't really tell, I've gotten more into it since Italy's comeback to the contest. I was more referring to how open it was to modern music or not.

nudiecrudi

I do agree with what @A-lister has written few messages ago. Its analysis is correct.
Sanremo has changed its skin many times for this reason has survived.
I like this modern Sanremo more than the older one. Opened to different genres without being too much radiofriendly or caring mostly to the sellings. Yes the last winners or non winners have done big numbers in sellings or streamings but also the old or middle generations have been well represented, remembering always that Sanremo is the celebration of the Italian music in all its forms and for everyone not only for the esc lovers.
On the other hand what @A-lister maybe doesn't know, is the fact that in the last years the Italian market and streaming rankings have been occupied mostly by male artists which have been much more successful than their female colleagues.
So do Sanremo.
Let's call it '' a male wave''. Hoping tthis trend could change or alternate soon.

A-lister

Veteran
I do agree with what @A-lister has written few messages ago. Its analysis is correct.
Sanremo has changed its skin many times for this reason has survived.
I like this modern Sanremo more than the older one. Opened to different genres without being too much radiofriendly or caring mostly to the sellings. Yes the last winners or non winners have done big numbers in sellings or streamings but also the old or middle generations have been well represented, remembering always that Sanremo is the celebration of the Italian music in all its forms and for everyone not only for the esc lovers.
On the other hand what @A-lister maybe doesn't know, is the fact that in the last years the Italian market and streaming rankings have been occupied mostly by male artists which have been much more successful than their female colleagues.
So do Sanremo.
Let's call it '' a male wave''. Hoping tthis trend could change or alternate soon.

Yeah, I think we agree on most of it.

As for the "male wave" though, here the juries in Sanremo could work differently though. Of course, they shouldn't upvote a female entry just because it's female, but they could help out to even out they playfield at least but I feel like they also are male biased.

I feel like you're facing a similar issue as with Melodifestivalen, where a certain part of the public have a tendency to vote more than others and it's skewed in favor of male acts, and not always because they have the best songs (sometimes they had sure, but for sure not always). It's understandable that popular acts might attract more votes, but juries should try to vote more objectively at least.

nudiecrudi

@A-lister
We have discussed the sanremese jury question some times ago.
Nowadays the jury voting is very balanced, some years ago a group of 12-15 people had 33% of deciding power.
Now all the accredited journalists, web, radio or paper, in 2022 around 1200 people, create what once was called quality or experts jury. Something similar to what happened in Spain with Chanel and Rigoberta, a single person decided the final ranking, it would be impossible with our voting system because is much more opened to a major number of expert jurors and balanced with a demoscopic jury of 300 persons plus televoting.
So going back to the male or female wave.i don't have the feeling that, generally speaking, the experts- quality jury has less considered what the female artists have brought in the last years. The clear example I remember was Elodie with Andromeda, 2020. She came 7th overall, and I really loved the song, but non of the juries put her in top 3, so she didn't have any chance at all not because the song wasn't good but because the general perception wast enough strong to make her reach higher ranking. Even Elisa.a big big name for us, this year didn't has any chance because M&B topped all the juries during the last night voting, she topped the demoscopic jury and expects jury during the week but not at the end.

Mainshow

Veteran

Italy: Local media rumours Tiziano Ferro will compete in Sanremo 2023​

According to Il Messaggero, one of the most established newspapers in Italy, internationally renowned singer Tiziano Ferro might be making his first ever appearance as a contestant at Sanremo in 2023.

A-lister

Veteran
@A-lister
We have discussed the sanremese jury question some times ago.
Nowadays the jury voting is very balanced, some years ago a group of 12-15 people had 33% of deciding power.
Now all the accredited journalists, web, radio or paper, in 2022 around 1200 people, create what once was called quality or experts jury. Something similar to what happened in Spain with Chanel and Rigoberta, a single person decided the final ranking, it would be impossible with our voting system because is much more opened to a major number of expert jurors and balanced with a demoscopic jury of 300 persons plus televoting.
So going back to the male or female wave.i don't have the feeling that, generally speaking, the experts- quality jury has less considered what the female artists have brought in the last years. The clear example I remember was Elodie with Andromeda, 2020. She came 7th overall, and I really loved the song, but non of the juries put her in top 3, so she didn't have any chance at all not because the song wasn't good but because the general perception wast enough strong to make her reach higher ranking. Even Elisa.a big big name for us, this year didn't has any chance because M&B topped all the juries during the last night voting, she topped the demoscopic jury and expects jury during the week but not at the end.

Yeah but that's kinda my point, and seems like even with a bigger jury including a larger demographic, the issue still remains.

Elodie is maybe one of the best points, that entry was (imho) one of the strongest Sanremo entries of the past years, it was modern, well produced, still had some character to it, female and well performed... yet the juries went for the usual suspects of oldfashion male entries... so while Sanremo has opened up to more modern and diverse songs (which I pointed out), there remains a bias. Luckily we got Mahmood (2019) and Måneskin (2021) which pushed things forward, but then it fell back the years between in 2020 and 2022 and we went back to conservative male ballads again, it's constantly 1 step forward - 1 step back it seems.

The only thing I can say about Sanremo is the fact that it is harder for female acts, I don't agree at all with the defense that "they had weaker entries", that is simply untrue. There is a bias against female acts that needs to be addressed and acknowledged.

Absoultely, the audience score of LRDL at past Sanremo, with a genuine hit Ciao Ciao, proves that. Italians commented the lead vocalist looked like a joke. 😈 They also added "a communist" to the list of insults. 😁 The song was actually about climate change world war and the end of human race. 🤣

However, Gabbani with a similar concept entry yet a total chaos, they say was a genius. 🤣

To wrap it up in political correctness (not 🤣) - there are too many hairy men singing ballads and dying on stage inflamated by love, lust, nostalgia, sorrow, grief. May they rest this year.

Last edited:

nudiecrudi

Absoultely, the audience score of LRDL at past Sanremo, with a genuine hit Ciao Ciao, proves that. Italians commented the lead vocalist looked like a joke. 😈 They also added "a communist" to the list of insults. 😁 The song was actually about climate change world war and the end of human race. 🤣

However, Gabbani with a similar concept entry yet a total chaos, they say was a genius. 🤣

To wrap it up in political correctness (not 🤣) - there are too many hairy men singing ballads and dying on stage inflamated by love, lust, nostalgia, sorrow, grief. May they rest this year.
Polly you are totally wrong.
LRDL has been appreciated by the critics even before Sanremo started. The expert jury put them top 5. No one accused her to be a joke and we all knew what the song was about. Only two extreme right newspapers raised the question why Veronica made a gesture that usually was made by the communist during the second war. It was explained that was part of choreography and nothing more.
Gabbani in Sanremo was a real surprise and not a chaos ( have you watched his performance in Sanremo?). You may not like the song and that is not a problem , but OK was a huge huge huge hit in Italy I'm sure 100% you would have preferred him to Fiorella Mannoia, second place, singing a very classic Italian cantautori song.

Ajeje Brazorf

I think you are overreacting to simple things. The truth is simpler: Occidentali's Karma here in Italy was a bigger hit than Ciao Ciao right from the start. The views are there to explain why Occidentali's Karma won and Ciao Ciao did not. As for LRDL, I preferred their 2021 entry, if you ask me... I remember rooting for them in 2021. Ciao Ciao didn't click with me the same way Amare did, but maybe it's only me.

elanyvx

new rumors about the singers in Sanremo Festival 2023:

• Tiziano Ferro
  • Paola e Chiara
  • Levante
  • Paola Turci
  • Ghali
  • Manuel Agnelli
  • Mara Sattei
  • Clementino
  • LDA
  • Ariete