5 2.8%

4 2.3%

10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

nudiecrudi

Considering how the things turned on, Marco getting a fantastic 4th place, do you think Due Vite was the best option? Could Lazza Madame or Elodie have reached a better result than Marco? Which means at least a 3rd place because the first 2 places were untouchable.
Personally I've always thought that Marco was the best option, not only because I love the song, but also because of his charisma and experience.
Madame or LAZZA, mostly acclaimed by the fans here, could have shown another side of Italian music scene ( I loved both of them) but is more important to reach an excellent result or being fans favourites but getting nothing at the end ( Slovenia Austria France Spain UK Czechia)?

soulm8

Leave the song away, he just delivered. I watched his live again minutes ago, pure emotion even after so many times rewatching it. The studio version is not so impactful for me, but when I saw him at the night of the Grand final, goosebumps all over. If he was more hyped by the bookies he could finish top 3. Israel deserved it though. Anyway, extremely good job, Italy! My favorite country even outside the contest. ❤️

mup

Considering how the things turned on, Marco getting a fantastic 4th place, do you think Due Vite was the best option? Could Lazza Madame or Elodie have reached a better result than Marco? Which means at least a 3rd place because the first 2 places were untouchable.
Personally I've always thought that Marco was the best option, not only because I love the song, but also because of his charisma and experience.
Madame or LAZZA, mostly acclaimed by the fans here, could have shown another side of Italian music scene ( I loved both of them) but is more important to reach an excellent result or being fans favourites but getting nothing at the end ( Slovenia Austria France Spain UK Czechia)?
I think that Lazza or Madame represent better the current trends of the Italian music scene and Sanremo this year went for a more traditional, Sanremese-style song with Marco. He might not be a singer I usually listen to, but he's an established name and he won with overwhelming support from different juries and from the televote and he gathered almost the same amount of points from juries and televote in Liverpool, meaning an equal appreciation from both. He truly cared about enjoying the Eurovision atmosphere and about representing the country ini the best possible way in ESC.

I don't know if the press jury in Sanremo voted keeping into account the singer's professionalism and attitude (to avoid another Blanco), but I read that Lazza has a reputation for being a "maranza" (people from Milan/Lombardy know this term) with questionable attitude, and shortly after Sanremo he showed support to a joke politician when the latter insulted nowadays girls as prostitutes (to put it mildly). Madame also seems to be a risky pick, she has a reputation as an irritable person, moreover, from what I gathered, she has been raised by "alternative" parents and it came out she got a fake vaccination certificate from an anti-vax doctor, so she's under investigation from what I remember. (Correct me if I'm wrong about these news.)
So, even if I thought that these singers had more modern songs that would have made them more current winners, knowing their backgrounds, I am relieved that the winner was a reliable, down-to-earth and unproblematic guy like Mengoni. Perhaps it's due to his being from a small countryside town (trivia: I've just found out that Mario Mengoni, a distant cousin of Marco's, is the town mayor).

As for women not winning Sanremo nowadays, I reckon that it might be due, among other things, to the contest's newfound popularity that has been attracting a younger audience for years, mainly made up by girls who idolize male singers but are rather cold towards female singers, and televote for the former ones, a lot.

Realest

Fw6JDNzXsAASnbY

crashworld

Veteran
This is the most balanced distribution of points comparing the televote and juries for an Italian entry since 2014. Even Marco's entry in 2013 seems pretty evenly distributed just based on the average rank.

Preuss

can someone help me find the broadcasted version of the jury performances in 2022

i want to see Brividi as people say it was much better in the jury than in the gf, and by the videos in the arena that I've seen on YT, it sounded quite better

Mainshow

Veteran
No surprise here that :ie: is the only country which didn't award any points to :it: - I mean, they came up with the most utterly horrendous and tragic national final this season... It seems that some instances of good taste can't be found everywhere in Europe :D

0scar

I don't have good taste but I'm still surprised this almost got top 3??????? Italy overrated as always except when they send something I actually enjoy like in 2012 and 2016 and they don't end up in top 6 all of a sudden

(deciding to ignore 2021 when they actually deserved the victory)

nudiecrudi

I don't have good taste but I'm still surprised this almost got top 3??????? Italy overrated as always except when they send something I actually enjoy like in 2012 and 2016 and they don't end up in top 6 all of a sudden

(deciding to ignore 2021 when they actually deserved the victory)
Can you explain better who overrates always Italy?
The jury?
The public?
If you affirm that both juries and public overrate always Italy, you don't understand and and don't want except the fundamentals of ESC just to justify your anti-italian feelings.
Yes you don't have good taste. This masterpiece without the ROW voting would have been top 3. But top 5 is excellent too.
Since we came back Italy has an incredible record of 10 top 10 out of 12 partecipations including a win and 5 top 5 placings.
DEAL WITH IT AND GNAW HARDLY

crashworld

Veteran
This year's Italy's entry is the best example when both the juries and public are in agreement. The results speak for itself. It's just a 2 point difference between the juries and the public. I can't see how it is "overrated" in any way.

mup

Can you explain better who overrates always Italy?
The jury?
The public?
If you affirm that both juries and public overrate always Italy, you don't understand and and don't want except the fundamentals of ESC just to justify your anti-italian feelings.
Yes you don't have good taste. This masterpiece without the ROW voting would have been top 3. But top 5 is excellent too.
Since we came back Italy has an incredible record of 10 top 10 out of 12 partecipations including a win and 5 top 5 placings.
DEAL WITH IT AND GNAW HARDLY
Forgive me if I reply, it just seems a bit harsh, at least for me. I think that many ESC fans would like more "experimental" entries from Italy, given the fact that the Italian music scene has more genres to offer, but after 2021 Amadeus has made some surprisingly "traditional" choices in his Sanremo line-ups. Perhaps when they say overrated they mean that it is a safe choice that ends up doing well - maybe relying on the overall musicality of the language - despite not offering anything innovative to the music scene. Just my opinion. :)

nudiecrudi

Forgive me if I reply, it just seems a bit harsh, at least for me. I think that many ESC fans would like more "experimental" entries from Italy, given the fact that the Italian music scene has more genres to offer, but after 2021 Amadeus has made some surprisingly "traditional" choices in his Sanremo line-ups. Perhaps when they say overrated they mean that it is a safe choice that ends up doing well - maybe relying on the overall musicality of the language - despite not offering anything innovative to the music scene. Just my opinion. :)
I respect your opinion. It's your point of view and I'm OK with it.
Just to point out that isn't Amadeus who chooses the winner but three levels of judgment. And in the last two years all the Juries and televote agreed about the winner. So there isn't a supreme identity that decides. The line up of Sanremo was a mix of everything. This year two rapoers/trappers came 2nf and 3rd. So your theory that Sanremo was full of classic or safe songs isn't based on real facts. Simply for the wide public and juries Brividi and Due Vite were worthy to win. And the selling numbers confermed.
Are these real facts? Yes. So why considering those two songs overrated? Just because some members don't like them but the two fundamentals of esc judging agreed more or less placing them 6th and 4th overall.
So if Karija comes 2nd ss deserved because jury and public appreciated him, but Marco is overrated because jury and public appreciated him too? Is this a correct analysis? I don't think so.
About being innovative
Can you please, beside Kaarija, tell me which country brought an innovative song or something different this year?
Sweden?
Israel?
Norway?
Ukraine?
Australia?
Estonia?
Belgium?
None of them. All heard many times in different sauces.
It's a question of genrs at this point.
Israel and Sweden sending always pop songs in English and nobody complains.
Italy sending two ballads in a row criticized.
Another point and I will finish
Remember that ESC or Sanremo doest belong only to 18-30 years old social addicted members that love contemporary pop songs but also to over 30 40 50 60 and more that maybe appreciate other genres or styles.

mup

From his concert at Circo Massimo in Rome:

ESC viewership ratings definitely benefitted from his participation(s), considering how many fans he has.

Ezio

Veteran
Austria gave 12 jury points and I am not surprised at all

Paco Roca

Mengoni was the best choice for Italy. I believe that together with Blanca Paloma and Alika he was the best vocal performer of 2023.

"Due Vite" has a deep text, a poignant melody and everything is sung in Italian (which is a musical language - for those who understand linguistics, the sweetness of Italian is purely due to the large presence of vowels and the absence of aspirated or guttural sounds). If we add a wonderful voice, a great stage presence and a wonderful sensitivity / authenticity to these qualities, we have the recipe for success. Yet there are some "bad notes". And now in the next paragraph I will say what I didn't like.

What I didn't like about the interior of the performance was a part of the singing, precisely when Mengoni screams at the top of his lungs. Actually, if I have to be honest, I found the scream very intense and emotional but it wasn't always well executed. In the Grand Final we witnessed a well-calibrated scream but in the other performances (between Sanremo and rehearsals) it sometimes derailed. Mengoni accentuated the scream too much which, losing control, sounded like the braying of a mule. Another thing I didn't like or rather half liked was the staging. The simple atmosphere was wonderful, the public drawing the stars with their cellphones, the control of gestures/expressions/gazes was perfect, the directing work was pleasant (with the climax in the moment of the panoramic view to end with Mengoni's gaze and smile ). Bad choice of trampolinists. As much as they could be acceptable in the form of a silhouette immersed in the background, when they started to jump the futility and the tragicomic being of the scenic stunt exploded on everyone's face. The beauty is that Italy also made use of a famous set designer/choreographer... Mengoni's song needed only the presence of Mengoni, his voice and a minimal scenography. Instead Italy got confused by the caustic comments that always see not focus on the staging. I consider that the staging must be calibrated with the voice and sense of song. Focusing too much on staging is just a "cover misery". I didn't like Mengoni's rainbow flag gimmick. I appreciate that a good message is brought to everyone's eyes, but LGBT rights and everything concerning politics (as the regulation also expresses) must remain out of the competition. Thus Mengoni cleverly stole votes from the jury and the public.

Overall I find fourth place to be a great position (maybe third would have been more deserved than Noa Kirel who copied Chanel's wild dance of 2022).

GRE

When will Marco Mengoni participate again in Eurovision & and what will be his placing ?

2013 => 7th place
2023 => 4th place
......... => ? place

Top Bottom