A volte non so esprimermi

E ti vorrei amare, ma sbaglio sempre
E ti vorrei rubare un cielo di perle
E pagherei per andar via
Accetterei anche una bugia

E ti vorrei amare, ma sbaglio sempre
E mi vengono i brividi, brividi, brividi​

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2022, I believe (and I hope) we will reach "our size", the "Top 10".

The ESC in the past was not a format followed and sparkling as it is today. Investing on that format for more than a year has been risky for anyone's pockets (especially our obligation to organize Sanremo). Italy in 2022 will analyze if the format will recall the attention of our public and the European one. If the answer will be positive, Italy will bet everything about obtaining as many as many victories. Italy could use the ESC to enhance its first industry: tourism. We have architectic, historical, landscapes, sea and food to offer. Maybe ... I now understand why some haters feared the opening of this "Pandora's Box" ...

I'll throw my dream/never gonna happen trance artist suggestion out there :) Is Mauro Picotto still active?

Mauro Picotto is still in activity. In the past he collaborated with Gigi D'Agostino. It is a nice suggestion to see him in Sanremo or as a guest of the ESC 2022. Congratulations on your dream, Daybreak. At the moment he deals, if I'm not mistaken, only with Techno.

The Piedmontese DJ also ranged in the genres Trance (1995-2002), Progressive Trance (1995-1997) and Mediterrean Progressive (1995-1997).

nudiecrudi

It's always hard to perform at home, after the one who won the competition.

I feel like Germany did the right thing with Lena. Maybe boring for some people, but I would just say: let your winner perform again. Maybe with a song even closer to them.
I liked more Taken by a stranger then Satellite. More mature and dark to my point of view.
Saying that, I would prefer always the Italian contestant to come through the sanremese selection. I think with a good and classic sanremo winner we could always reach a top 15, and with a contemporary winner top 5-10 for sure.
In its history, Italy has been around 70% of the its partecipations top 10, even during the periods we didn't care that much.
And from our last win, 15 ESC ago, we have been 11 times top 10, and 7 times top 5 (Mia Martini 4th, Jalisse 4th, Gualazzi 2nd, IL Volo 3rd, MM 5th, Mahmood 2nd, Måneskin 1st)
No doubts we'll have a good result next year.

I think that some Eurofans, after Italy's victory, are looking forward to Sanremo 2022 and ESC 2022 xwaitAccording to the statistics, the host nation is always destined to fail, often with disastrous results xwall However, are we sure this will happen? I believe that Italy will dispel this curse of the "host country" and ... POP! BOOM! KABOOM! Other livers will explodexrollinglol

I agree with Nudiecrudi's analysis xyes The Sanremo selection is not a simple selection for the ESC. Our Festival, as "clumsy" as it is considered xbeee, is a tough competition to win. Furthermore, there are too many juries to agree: the press room, the opinion poll jury and the public. Let's not forget the weight of the orchestra's vote and the points obtained through "the cover night". Our champion, now that we are interested in the ESC, can almost always be in the "Top 10". Our "failure" are the positions from 11th to 15th position xqueenbitch

There is another consideration to be made. In the past, Rai was afraid of winning the ESC to further invest too much money after Sanremo. There was also fear and I can motivate it with facts, Rai was afraid that in the next edition the other countries could play "a bad joke" that would make us win but also host the next edition xgaah However, we are talking about an era where the ESC was not yet in its prime. Today, however, winning the ESC implies not only the achievement of a global honor but it is also a tool, in case of victory, which can boost tourism and bring a lot of money also in terms of sponsors xqueenbitch Even if Italy wants to win next year, there is too much competition xshrug We do not need to fail to avoid hosting the ESC 2023. Boys and girls, Italy would be happy to host even more editions (you have seen the "war" that is breaking out between Italian cities to host the event xqueenbitch). Tourism is our greatest industry. For us Italians it is an investment with a guaranteed source of income xup

So ... the juries next year will have to work hard to bury us even more! I recommend following the teachings of Sensei John Kreese of the "Cobra Kai":

Sensei John Kreese: "What is the law of the fist?!" xdiablo

Students of the dojo: "Strike first, strike hard, without mercy!" xmadxrofl

ag89

San Remo is excellent because almost nobody (I assume?!) comes there to compete for the festival and specially not for Eurovison: they come to compete for Italian and global music market and I think that is one of the reasons why Italy is doing so good. They don't add this "festival" formula hoping to do well and winning San Remo is probably not an ultimate goal for most of those who enter the festival. I just hope Italy will continue selecting their representatives through San Remo because it means (regardless of our personal tastes) we are getting quality and in most cases relevant or already established names for Eurovision stage from Italian music market. I don't want to imagine some cheap pre-selection for Italy outside San Remo, please don't do it.

rasmuslights

Veteran
San Remo is excellent because almost nobody (I assume?!) comes there to compete for the festival and specially not for Eurovison: they come to compete for Italian and global music market and I think that is one of the reasons why Italy is doing so good. They don't add this "festival" formula hoping to do well and winning San Remo is probably not an ultimate goal for most of those who enter the festival. I just hope Italy will continue selecting their representatives through San Remo because it means (regardless of our personal tastes) we are getting quality and in most cases relevant or already established names for Eurovision stage from Italian music market. I don't want to imagine some cheap pre-selection for Italy outside San Remo, please don't do it.

agree! hopefully, more countries will follow suit - I mean big countries, I don't expect countries like Malta and Cyprus to have their San Remo and them buying songs works just well imo

nudiecrudi

agree! hopefully, more countries will follow suit - I mean big countries, I don't expect countries like Malta and Cyprus to have their San Remo and them buying songs works just well imo
Small countries can have their competitions Sanremo style too.
Look at Albania, after Sanremo Festival i Kenges is one of the oldest music festivals.
Albania is a small country with limited resources but at least they try.
I think France should continue with its selection, the good results are coming but please no more Tom Loeb case. Spain and Germany should restart again with their national selections and should insist making them more stronger each year even if they fail sometimes.

Rasmus0714

I do want to see Dardust as ESC 2022 interval. Or make it another Tiziano Ferro mini concert LOL.

hzalfa

I do want to see Dardust as ESC 2022 interval. Or make it another Tiziano Ferro mini concert LOL.
If he keeps having so many songs in Sanremo next year then it's more likely that we'll see him competing as a songwriter. Tiziano Ferro as an interval act is very much a real possibility though.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Small countries can have their competitions Sanremo style too.
Look at Albania, after Sanremo Festival i Kenges is one of the oldest music festivals.
Albania is a small country with limited resources but at least they try.
I think France should continue with its selection, the good results are coming but please no more Tom Loeb case. Spain and Germany should restart again with their national selections and should insist making them more stronger each year even if they fail sometimes.

Albania is actually a big country tho - they have around 8-10 million people around the world. You cannot compare that with Malta and Cyprus who are richer but much smaller. And tho FiK has its tradition that doesn't mean that it's working - for the past few years all they had was a qualification that was barely a qualification (bar 2018) and around 20th place finish in the final or a NQ...

Albania is actually a big country tho - they have around 8-10 million people around the world. You cannot compare that with Malta and Cyprus who are richer but much smaller. And tho FiK has its tradition that doesn't mean that it's working - for the past few years all they had was a qualification that was barely a qualification (bar 2018) and around 20th place finish in the final or a NQ...
If Malta and Cyprus "have more money", they can easily organize their own festival. If these festivals were properly advertised, it would capture the love of the Balkan, North African and part of the Middle Eastern nations. To these nations are added Italy, Spain and the UK (look at the voting statistics in the semifinals and finals and you will understand). Cyprus, even more than Malta, would enjoy the historic alliance with Greece (a potential + 10.72 million would certainly be added to a population of 875,899).

Want to know why the FiK often doesn't achieve great results (except in 2004, 2012 and 2018)? Because Albanian music is still too anchored to its Eastern European traditions and tastes. When they managed to mitigate this identity, the European public connected with them.

I believe that a Festival has much more value than a simple selection. The Festival is not a satellite of the ESC: there is much more importance in the eyes of the spectators, there is more pride, there are more sponsors and there is more quality at stake and there is a prize up for grabs.

As for France, here I speak to Nudiecrudi, apart from 2001 (4th), 2002 (5th), 2009 (8th), 2016 (6th) and finally 2021 (2nd), the new millennium was studded with failures and also one last place (2014). A Festival guarantees that you don't bring "rehearsals for the ESC" (including Barbara Pravi with "Voilà") but songs that are already competitive for victory. The difference seems small but in reality there is an abyss.

At the ESC the winning models are:

-) The blocking votes [whose geopolitical balances made the fortune first of the "French Bloc", then of the "British Bloc" and finally of the "Nordic Bloc". The "Eastern European Bloc" was the only one to collect less than the others]

-) The Swedish "industrial creation" [which many have chosen to follow while remaining second to the Swedish masters]

-) the "Italian artisan model" (2011 onwards): national language, search for quality and experimentation (beyond what could happen at the ESC) and a Festival that is a strong filter.

-) The talent of a singer or a band [but this is like winning the lottery]

-) The sudden beginning of a "golden age" (like what happened in the United Kingdom). The UK has never applied any musical model to the ESC but has limited itself to bringing its extraordinary performers. The problem is that the mines by dint of being excavated are impoverished and other nations then do not stand by and watch. World music has evolved, other nations have become competitive, British interest has dropped and ... a "dark age" has begun at the ESC. Programming is useful for staying at a high level.

You decide which method to follow. Nobody forces you to do what you don't

Many Italians would not like to see Tiziano Ferro on stage. We have a lot of respect for him but now he's just a faded image of what he was like in the past. Tiziano’s voice no longer has the power and clarity of the past.

Certainly Italy will invite Gigliola Cinquetti, Toto Cutugno and the Maneskin (the winners of the ESC). It is possible that we also invite DJ Afrojack because he is with Elettra Lamborghini. And yes! On Durdust I agree. He must be there. I would also like to see Diodato or Mahmood.

However your H.P. Lovecraft would be more daring and would invite Italian excellences that are unknown to a large part of the European public.

LUCA STRICAGNOLI:

LUDOVICO EINAUDI [He edited the soundtrack of the French film "Intouchables" (with Omar Sy)]

GIOVANNI ALLEVI:

And ... I could go on ... apart from these two pianists and guitarist, I have in mind many singers, dancers and graphic excellence that could be contacted for ESC 2022 xheya

Last edited:

nudiecrudi

Albania is a small country, around 3 million. And who pays for that Festival is the Albanian public broadcaster not the diaspora.
The results are another question. Two years in row the death ranking spot, do we have to talk about it? Anxhela was really stunning.
But as I said at least they are trying. Even this year they made the right decision going through the winner of FIK then choosing Arilena internally, as many other counties did.

Ianp16

I'm shocked that Italy wants to invest in ESC wins for tourism since every time I've visited it feels like the locals don't want tourists there.

Charly

I'm shocked that Italy wants to invest in ESC wins for tourism since every time I've visited it feels like the locals don't want tourists there.

Tourism plays a big part in the Italian economy, obviosuly it would be the number 1 response to any country winning the Eurovision especially that Europe and tourism overall has been hit badly. Even though budgets may cost, in return it can be profitable if correct Lisbon made a nice profit after ESC which was a nice boost especially Portugal financially are struggling

To say that in Italy we don't want tourists is a joke worthy of "Saturday Night Live" xcrazy How is it possible that a nation that sees its greatest value in tourism could wish it had no tourists? Is the "famous Italian hospitality" just a legend? xthink The only tourists we hit were the hooligans in Italy '90s. The English government itself gave us carte blanche to throw the troublemakers into the water :lol:

In Italy it works as in any part of the world. When the tourist comes to our country and behaves with respect and does not destroy the monuments (as the Feyenoord fans did with "La Fontana della Barcaccia" in Piazza di Spagna), we also give him the keys to our house xleft

For example, if you want to find faults in Rome (my city) we can say they are: traffic, some ruined streets and the center (Piazza Cavour) which has become a place where there are almost only shops to eat xgaah... Ianp, we are proud of our strengths but do not doubt that we are aware of our shortcomings. The problem is not with the people who would like improvements but with those who govern us who often think about their own interestsxshrug

Top Bottom