E ti vorrei rubare un cielo di perle
E pagherei per andar via
Accetterei anche una bugia

E ti vorrei amare, ma sbaglio sempre
E mi vengono i brividi, brividi, brividi​

Last edited by a moderator:

hijirio

Veteran
Am I obliged to follow every country's mainstream music? Is it mandatory to follow Italian mainstream music to say San Remo is out of date? I know what kind of music is popular across Europe and the US, that is enough for me to make a judgement and say San Remo is out of date compared to rest of music that is being produced across Europe.
I have been following San Remo since a few years, and especially in 2020 I saw a great improvement in song quality and diversity.
However, anything that sounded slightly modern was ranked down. And in 2021, i could barely tell the difference between songs. All have the same classical melody.

Poor Emma-girl, Damiano had it so easy compared to her. xcrazy

I mean, it is definitely worse to read criticism about your golden shorts being 'vulgar' compared to comments like 'garbage that smells of AIDS' or the various 'colorful' personal insults bigots reserved to the band...xcookie

Seriously, using a serious matter like sexism as an excuse to justify (even thought no one actually care or remember - and maybe this is part of her problem ) your own failure is ... sad and insulting to those that actually experience it in real life (me included). Basically instead of learning from the reality check Europe gave her she chose to play victim. xfacepalm

At the end to understand the different response to her and Måneskin one only has to watch the performances: weak song with bad singing coupled with what she thought was 'rock attire and attitude' but in reality was just a ridicolous and pretentious mess vs good song, pure quality, style and authenticity.

It's not about gender but about stage presence and charisma. She lacked (and still lack) both.

Also, let's not forget that she's the one that joked ( she's sooo funny xexcuseme) about wanting to cut Conchita Wurst's beard because ''without it she wouldn't have a chance to win''... xcookie so yeah, she just should move on and accept that she didn't fail outside her bubble of adoring fans and couldn't "conquer all Europe" because of presumed advantages others had but because she just wasn't it ...xleft

The Marrone's statement was really inappropriate given what Maneskin had to endure, from false charges of drugs use to high ranking French and Belarussian politicians smearing them. They were called drug addicts, AIDS look-alikes, abnormal fa**ts and etc.

Also, Damiano was heavily attacked for how he was dressed on first rehersal, as nobody had never seen Iggy Pop performing only in jeans.

Then Marrone comes to talk about different standards for men and women. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If it wasn't hillarious, I could qualify the parallels and contradictions only she had seen as something else. But then I wouldn't remain appropriate. 😁

Her performance and staging were bad, the visuals were overall cheap and bizare, and her song lukewarm. None of these had anything to do with her outfit which was objectively less revealing than this year's Cyprus or Croatian or Albanian performer's outfit.

I feel pitty not for people who make cardinal mistakes, but for those who don't learn from their mistakes. And the misplaced projection of blame on somebody else is a proof of bad manners and poor character.

Furthermore, I would also like to ask you all to tolerate the use of religious symbolism as a part of discussions and do not attack other users for it as religion is a part of popular culture, art in general and the lyrics of the songs we were all listening in ESC throughout decades.

It is trully cheap to attack people for using religious discourse by inverted theses and by disfiguring what they said and meant. All of us actually use religious discourse in everyday communication, even if we are not religious or belong to different denominations.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Am I obliged to follow every country's mainstream music? Is it mandatory to follow Italian mainstream music to say San Remo is out of date? I know what kind of music is popular across Europe and the US, that is enough for me to make a judgement and say San Remo is out of date compared to rest of music that is being produced across Europe.
I have been following San Remo since a few years, and especially in 2020 I saw a great improvement in song quality and diversity.
However, anything that sounded slightly modern was ranked down. And in 2021, i could barely tell the difference between songs. All have the same classical melody.

this is just wrong... San Remo is the best nf there is. All of the hottest Italian artists are entering - what else do you want? Songs are great, maybe not modern for the USA standards but still modern.

Arisa, Noemi, Colapesce, Gaia, Madame, Maneskin, Irama, Fasma, Fedez, Francesca... i mean all amazing and quality artists.

hijirio

Veteran
San Remo ranked this █▬█ █ ▀█▀ third from bottom, and it now has 56M views, had a wide appeal among the ESC fans.

This █▬█ █ ▀█▀ had winner vibes from the get-go, it was modern, fresh, slick... but it settled with only 7th place in the end.
NOT EVEN TOP 5.
And all fans were crazy about it. 7th among 23rd songs. #jokeresults

How do you think you'll convince a pop singer to participate in San Remo if such bops and pre-contest fan favorites cannot even make it to top 5.
As I assumed, 2021 San Remo was a snoozefest, with only 2-3 midtempo pop songs in the lineup which flopped altogether 🤡🤡

Anyone who says San Remo is modern is just delusional and out of touch with reality. I know this is an unpopular opinion but even Melodifestivalen is more diverse.

Last edited:

hijirio

Veteran
this is just wrong... San Remo is the best nf there is. All of the hottest Italian artists are entering - what else do you want? Songs are great, maybe not modern for the USA standards but still modern.

Arisa, Noemi, Colapesce, Gaia, Madame, Maneskin, Irama, Fasma, Fedez, Francesca... i mean all amazing and quality artists.

Begging the question (petito principii)​

In arguing for a claim, the claim itself is already assumed in the premise. Example: "God exists because this is what the Bible says, and the Bible is reliable because it is the word of God."

Can someone pin a link for fallacies list on this thread? xheat xheat xheat

The Marrone's statement was really inappropriate given what Maneskin had to endure, from false charges of drugs use to high ranking French and Belarussian politicians smearing them. They were called drug addicts, AIDS look-alikes, abnormal fa**ts and etc.

Also, Damiano was heavily attacked for how he was dressed on first rehersal, as nobody had never seen Iggy Pop performing only in jeans.

Then Marrone comes to talk about different standards for men and women. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If it wasn't hillarious, I could qualify the parallels and contradictions only she had seen as something else. But then I wouldn't remain appropriate. 😁

Her performance and staging were bad, the visuals were overall cheap and bizare, and her song lukewarm. None of these had anything to do with her outfit which was objectively less revealing than this year's Cyprus or Croatian or Albanian performer's outfit.

I feel pitty not for people who make cardinal mistakes, but for those who don't learn from their mistakes. And the misplaced projection of blame on somebody else is a proof of bad manners and poor character.

Furthermore, I would also like to ask you all to tolerate the use of religious symbolism as a part of discussions and do not attack other users for it as religion is a part of popular culture, art in general and the lyrics of the songs we were all listening in ESC throughout decades.

It is trully cheap to attack people for using religious discourse by inverted theses and by disfiguring what they said and meant. All of us actually use religious discourse in everyday communication, even if we are not religious or belong to different denominations.
Along with Mauve, you are my angel Polly xangelxrunhug

What goes on in the mind of the haters when they enter the Italian thread. They think themselves warriors "without blemish and without sin". Their sword is no longer Excalibur but the Sword of Fallacy xrofl

ag89

And this approach is exactly one of the key reasons why your judgement is not correct. San Remo produces top songs you hear all year long in Italy. Or we can assume all Italian public is then outdated when it comes to music tastes? The world of music doesn't turn around what US and western European music markets are producing despite their massive popularity. There is a big big world outside of it.
Anyway, I am not trying to say something about music tastes of us here on the forum, that's not my point and we can like and dislike whatever we want. But calling San Remo out of date just because you have limited information about Italian music and because you base your opinions solely in comparison to what USA and some countries in Europe produce is a very narrow minded approach which of course leads to conclusions like this one.

hzalfa

How do you think you'll convince a pop singer to participate in San Remo if such bops and pre-contest fan favorites cannot even make it to top 5.
As I assumed, 2021 San Remo was a snoozefest, with only 2-3 midtempo pop songs in the lineup which flopped altogether 🤡🤡

Anyone who says San Remo is modern is just delusional. I know this is an unpopular opinion but even Melodifestivalen is more diverse.
Elettra Lamborghini had a nice song, but ohmygod is she absolutely unable to perform live. I don't mean just sing, the girl just cannot perform. She can't sing, she can't dance, she doesn't have stage presence, etc...
Andromeda never gave me any winner vibes, I had it in my 5th place in Sanremo 2020, so I agree that she deserved more.
And a festival doesn't have to only reward modern genres to be modern. Its primary purpose is to reward quality, regardless of the genre of the songs. The winner usually embodies this concept.
I agree that songs of more contemporary genres didn't get what they deserve in 2020 (Eden got 11th? Seriously?), but the songs WERE THERE, those modern genres were represented, and similar songs have gotten overall better results in 2021, so what's the problem? Too many ballads? I agree, I hope it changes. The songs you like didn't get the placement you hoped for? It happens to all of us, I'm sorry.

hijirio

Veteran
And this approach is exactly one of the key reasons why your judgement is not correct. San Remo produces top songs you hear all year long in Italy. Or we can assume all Italian public is then outdated when it comes to music tastes? The world of music doesn't turn around what US and western European music markets are producing despite their massive popularity. There is a big big world outside of it.
Anyway, I am not trying to say something about music tastes of us here on the forum, that's not my point and we can like and dislike whatever we want. But calling San Remo out of date just because you have limited information about Italian music and because you base your opinions solely in comparison to what USA and some countries in Europe produce is a very narrow minded approach which of course leads to conclusions like this one.
who said that? lmfao ded xd
it's obvious you know basically nothing about me, otherwise you'd not be so clueless about my point. that's the opposite of what i have always been advocating on this forum since 2012.

modern DOES NOT EQUAL western.
i mean experimental, music with high production value, open-mindedness to upbeat pop music when i say 'modern'. You are speaking as if Italian mainstream music has no dance pop music, all the prominent singers are men with guitars and they all sing on pianos. :D :D

I see the same problem with the Portuguese NF. Fans hear one rap song or a slight synth in the lineup, and they're like "OMFGGGGGG THIS YEAR FDC IS SO DIVERSE"

And btw, i know so many SR singers' career outside the festival and their music is way more upbeat, modern, but still staying true to Italian identity. It's not a case of either/or. You don't have to sing a snoozefest piano ballad to sound Italian. It's sad but many artists tone down and go for the classical song for SR specifically, and it seems to be successful for them, voila. But do I have to like it? No. It's simple as that.

I am not gonna patronize my own taste over you or anybody else (unrelatable for most people on this thread lmfao)
But I stand firm on my point that the festival itself is quite out of touch with modernity and modern music.

You want a good example of staying true to local music and still be relevant/modern?

:ua: is the best example of this #dropsmic #bye

San Remo ranked this █▬█ █ ▀█▀ third from bottom, and it now has 56M views, had a wide appeal among the ESC fans.

This █▬█ █ ▀█▀ had winner vibes from the get-go, it was modern, fresh, slick... but it settled with only 7th place in the end.
NOT EVEN TOP 5.
And all fans were crazy about it. 7th among 23rd songs. #jokeresults

Anyone who says San Remo is modern is just delusional and out of touch with reality. I know this is an unpopular opinion but even Melodifestivalen is more diverse.

Excuse me, but you blame Italians for not voting for these 2 songs and sending them to ESC to humour the taste of ESC fans?

No.1 song would have less points than San Marino this year.

It is a cheap repetitive rhytm from the 80's Spanish disco production. Though I see Spain sending this to the ESC and hitting 4 points from televote, in contradiction to Blas' nil points. 🤣

The second song, Andromeda, I now realize I have heard on radio, but never really remembered it. Composition is a total mess. Place this girl in GF order in between of Cyprus and Albania and see her getting nil points in a sec.

The fact that these song have some millions views on YT prove nothing, as the song which refrain goes like this: Che Che Che Re Che 10x - has over a billion. 🤣

Also, the so called ESC Bubble, after seeing this year top 5 of televote, including Ukraine folk rave, Lith electro, Iceland retro pop, Finn death metal, and Italian prog-rock, should trully reconsider how relevant are their tastes and reviews pursuing melodic pop without actually not being capable of assessing objectively a musical composition.

So, please find another examples of Italian bad taste in Sanremo, especially in the year when they won ESC with one of the most massive televotes in history.

Last edited:

hijirio

Veteran
Excuse me, but you blame Italians for not voting for these 2 songs and sending them to ESC to humour the taste of ESC fans?

No.1 song would have less points than San Marino this year.

It is a cheap repetitive rhytm from the 80's Spanish disco production. Though I see Spain sending this to the ESC and hitting 4 points from televote, in contradiction to Blas' nil points. 🤣

The second song, Andromeda, I know realize I have heard on radio, but never really remembered. Composition is a total mess. Place this girl in GF order in between of Cyprus and Albania and see her getting nil points in a sec.

The fact that these song have some millions views on YT prove nothing, as the song which refrain goes like this: Che Che Che Re Che 10x - has over a billion. 🤣

Also, the so called ESC Bubble, after seeing this year top 5 of televote, including Ukraine folk rave, Lith electro, Iceland retro pop, Finn death metal, and Italian prog-rock, should trully reconsider how relevant are their tastes and reviews pursuing melodic pop without actually not being capable of assessing objectively a musical composition.

So, please find another examples of Italian bad taste in Sanremo, especially in the year when they won ESC with one of the most massive televotes in history.
Sorry but I will forever refrain from getting into a debate with you on music. I have always ignored you till now, as your approach to music is really putting me off and it's mega difficult for me to bear with it. We are like two opposite poles with regards to how we evaluate music, so it's a hopeless/closed case for me.

All I want to say to call it a day here and forever:
It's IMPOSSIBLE to judge music objectively. There can't be any objective criteria while discussing songs. It doesn't exist. Okay? Now it all makes sense why you like to patronize your music taste and believe everyone should like what you call 'quality' but which in fact is just dated/nostalgic/classic to me. The difference is, we can argue what is dated and what is modern based on concrete data, but you can't determine what is cheap and what is quality.

I'm so sorry to say this but people like you are my least favorite group among the fans. Anything that sounds slightly fun is 'humour' and 'cheap' to you.

Believe me, producing an upbeat pop song with a catchy hook takes just as much effort as writing a wordy piano ballad. One is not superior to another.

But well, I have only one advice to you in your life, you should be a juror for ESC with that mindset of yours. You'll blend in quickly.

Sorry but I will forever refrain from getting into a debate with you on music. I have always ignored you till now, as your approach to music is really putting me off and it's mega difficult for me to bear with it. We are like two opposite poles with regards to how we evaluate music, so it's a hopeless/closed case for me.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to judge music objectively. There can't be any objective criteria while discussing songs. It doesn't exist. Okay? Now it all makes sense why you like to patronize your music taste and believe everyone should like what you call 'quality' but which in fact is just dated/nostalgic/classic to me. The difference is, we can argue what is dated and what is modern based on concrete data, but you can't determine what is cheap and what is quality.

I'm so sorry to say this but people like you are my least favorite group among the fans. Anything that sounds slightly fun is 'humour' and 'cheap' to you.

Believe me, producing an upbeat pop song with a catchy hook takes just as much effort as writing a wordy piano ballad. One is not superior to another.

But well, I have only one advice to you in your life, you should be a juror for ESC with that mindset of yours. You'll blend in quickly.

It is possible to judge all music objectively, even pop music. That's why people have music schools at university level as well, and of all genres, including modern.

Also, even if you don't have musical education you can still notice the difference in quality of e.g. Iceland's song and San Marino's song.

You don't have to be an expert to understand the difference in quality of Oops I did it again and Bad Romance.

People instinctively realize and hear that.

That's why Iceland's pop song had succeeded.

That's why folk pop from Serbia, was better placed in televote than Azerbaycan.

Simply because despite all of the rooting from ESC bubble for Efendi, Serbian composition was more coherent and had better vocalization.

So yes, lay persons, 180 million of them, who don't follow the ESC bubble reviews, sit on their couch. They hear 39 songs, and if they are too similar (and usually they are), they choose by the method of comparison, and in most of the cases, they are instinctively right.

hijirio

Veteran
It is possible to judge all music objectively, even pop music. That's why people have music schools at university level as well, and of all genres, including modern.

Also, even if you don't have musical education you can still notice the difference in quality of e.g. Iceland's song and San Marino's song.

You don't have to be an expert to understand the difference in quality of Oops I did it again and Bad Romance.

People instinctively realize and hear that.

That's why Iceland's pop song had succeeded.

That's why folk pop from Serbia, was better placed in televote than Azerbaycan.

Simply because despite all of the rooting from ESC bubble for Efendi, Serbian composition was more coherent and had better vocalization.

So yes, lay persons, 180 million of them, who don't follow the ESC bubble reviews, sit on their couch. They hear 39 songs, and if they are too similar (and usually they are), they choose by the method of comparison, and in most of the cases, they are instinctively right.

I genuinely hope you don't expect me to post a response to this pile of nonsense.

Laku noc, have sweet dreams

giphy.gif

I genuinely hope you don't expect me to post a response to this pile of nonsense.

Laku noc, have sweet dreams

giphy.gif

Of course I don't expect that because a response from you would require you to put some real arguments for what you stand without offending or attacking and maintain at least minimun politeness, and my experience with you to this day shows that you don't possess neither of the relevant traits. 🤣

But I always give a second chance to people so maybe next time you will respond without insulting videos or gifs mocking other people. There's always hope in humanity 😆 Umut var.

hijirio

Veteran
Of course I don't expect that because a response from you would require you to put some real arguments for what you stand without offending or attacking and maintain at least minimun politeness, and my experience with you to this day shows that you don't possess neither of the relevant traits. 🤣

But I always give a second chance to people so maybe next time you will respond without insulting videos or gifs mocking other people. There's always hope in humanity 😆 Umut var.
What's the argument you're offering? An objective criteria, a sort of common sense to compare songs?
Sorry gurl, this convo is over before it even started. I might not be polite, but at least I don't throw false accusations at people, like how you falsely accused me today of what my friend did. Also none of my gifs had any vulgar words, if you can confirm any violation of forum rules please feel free to report them. If Deli was a word to insult people, it wouldnt be the title and most iterated word of our 2008 entry xheat xheat

Anywayssssssssssssssssss, you have nothing to give me, I have nothing to give you. Our differences on how we view music are too fundamental. I'd be glad to talk with you on other topics, you're always welcome, but I'll never get into a discussion on music with you.
Bieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xlove

moj pozdrav, ljubavi

giphy.gif

Last edited:

EscTurkey, so far I wanted to "play" with you but now it's time to talk seriously.

You are "climbing the mirrors". It doesn't make the slightest sense what you say. If music cannot be evaluated "objectively" there would be no music academies and there would be no artists themselves who have to learn from it. You speak as a person who does not know music but pretends to argue with those who know it.

Now you have to explain to me, let's take your reasoning for granted, if music is subjective why should we listen to your words? We would all be right. So why, after writing these words, do you offend Italian music? Are you talking about the difficulty between writing a catchy piece and a ballad? Why are you talking about musical genres? If music is subjectivity you can only say two words "I like" and "I don't like". Make up your mind. If you want to bring arguments about your words you are entering the terrain of objectivity and if objectivity in music does not exist then we are no longer talking about music. We are facing a paradox.

You may like music but you can (if you are honest) understand the values and demerits of something. A few hours ago you and I talked about Sobral. I told you I didn't like him but I also added that he won thanks to some qualities that made him stand out more than the other competitors.

You can't talk to Polly because she explains, beyond her tastes, things as they are. Her words are difficult to deal with because they have no weaknesses. She is a lawyer who she "thinks before she speaks". She would be able to embarrass and she could defeat me too in regards to musical knowledge.

You talked about the juries. If Polly who liked the Maneskins is like the juries but the juries punished the Maneskins, is it no longer correct to say that you could be a very good (dull, fake and alliance-seeking) element for the jury?

Objectivity also serves to distinguish musical genres, to discuss rhythm, stylistic choices etc ... when you talk about these things IT IS OBJECTIVITY.

Finally, I don't understand why talking about ballads when Italy brought a Rock this year. Do you do this to say that we are old? If we go to see the ESC singers you love, they are more anchored in the past than you think. Where have you seen the innovation? Songs, clothes and attitudes were a wink to the past. Serbia itself (Mrm will hate me) brought a modified macarena with a little Destiny Child movement and J.Lo style. Their high rating was determined by a fairly powerful stage performance. They were three tigers who knew how to expose their song.

It is true that a catchy piece needs the same attention as a ballad but you are confusing things. The music you talk about isn't even catchy: most of it is a preconstructed mix of nothing and lights (like Senhit's Adrenalina). Don't talk about Ukraine to show that you know your music. Ukraine has been able to create something new but rooted in tradition. While their music is catchy, it leans heavily on strong backing tracks. The strength of their music was the sensational voice of the Ukrainian singer and an excellent stage presence. The lights and the rest were just a calibrated shade, an extra accessory.

It's useless ... I know it hurts but the results speak for themselves. Italy has been at the top for years and has now won. I say it for you. Avoid talking or, as is happening right now, people will laugh at you.

Do you know what makes me enjoy like a hedgehog? The fact that the Maneskin song is perfect for guys like you. We won by mocking and screaming at the dull and saying "What are you talking about?"

If you come to Italy, go here to Rome. I'll pay you the conservatory in Santa Cecilia. At least you learn what music is.

Good night EscTurkey. Before going to sleep, remember to burp or you risk regurgitating. That's how I see it again: like an overgrown baby.

hijirio

Veteran
EscTurkey, so far I wanted to "play" with you but now it's time to talk seriously.

You are "climbing the mirrors". It doesn't make the slightest sense what you say. If music cannot be evaluated "objectively" there would be no music academies and there would be no artists themselves who have to learn from it. You speak as a person who does not know music but pretends to argue with those who know it.

Now you have to explain to me, let's take your reasoning for granted, if music is subjective why should we listen to your words? We would all be right. So why, after writing these words, do you offend Italian music? Are you talking about the difficulty between writing a catchy piece and a ballad? Why are you talking about musical genres? If music is subjectivity you can only say two words "I like" and "I don't like". Make up your mind. If you want to bring arguments about your words you are entering the terrain of objectivity and if objectivity in music does not exist then we are no longer talking about music. We are facing a paradox.

You may like music but you can (if you are honest) understand the values and demerits of something. A few hours ago you and I talked about Sobral. I told you I didn't like him but I also added that he won thanks to some qualities that made him stand out more than the other competitors.

You can't talk to Polly because she explains, beyond her tastes, things as they are. Her words are difficult to deal with because they have no weaknesses. She is a lawyer who she "thinks before she speaks". She would be able to embarrass and she could defeat me too in regards to musical knowledge.

You talked about the juries. If Polly who liked the Maneskins is like the juries but the juries punished the Maneskins, is it no longer correct to say that you could be a very good (dull, fake and alliance-seeking) element for the jury?

Objectivity also serves to distinguish musical genres, to discuss rhythm, stylistic choices etc ... when you talk about these things IT IS OBJECTIVITY.

Finally, I don't understand why talking about ballads when Italy brought a Rock this year. Do you do this to say that we are old? If we go to see the ESC singers you love, they are more anchored in the past than you think. Where have you seen the innovation? Songs, clothes and attitudes were a wink to the past. Serbia itself (Mrm will hate me) brought a modified macarena with a little Destiny Child movement and J.Lo style. Their high rating was determined by a fairly powerful stage performance. They were three tigers who knew how to expose their song.

It is true that a catchy piece needs the same attention as a ballad but you are confusing things. The music you talk about isn't even catchy: most of it is a preconstructed mix of nothing and lights (like Senhit's Adrenalina). Don't talk about Ukraine to show that you know your music. Ukraine has been able to create something new but rooted in tradition. While their music is catchy, it leans heavily on strong backing tracks. The strength of their music was the sensational voice of the Ukrainian singer and an excellent stage presence. The lights and the rest were just a calibrated shade, an extra accessory.

It's useless ... I know it hurts but the results speak for themselves. Italy has been at the top for years and has now won. I say it for you. Avoid talking or, as is happening right now, people will laugh at you.

Do you know what makes me enjoy like a hedgehog? The fact that the Maneskin song is perfect for guys like you. We won by mocking and screaming at the dull and saying "What are you talking about?"

If you come to Italy, go here to Rome. I'll pay you the conservatory in Santa Cecilia. At least you learn what music is.

Good night EscTurkey. Before going to sleep, remember to burp or you risk regurgitating. That's how I see it again: like an overgrown baby.

tl;dr

you seem to have so much free time, make the best use of it :) xlove

good night my dear

Top Bottom