Ma sono fuori di testa, ma diverso da loro
E tu sei fuori di testa, ma diversa da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro

Noi siamo diversi da loro​

Last edited by a moderator:
What Ethan really saw in the moment of victory:
:ROFLMAO:

And this is for certain "journalists" who keep saying Damiano's drug test was rigged:

Do you know that for this X factor performance Damiano went to find a professional sriptease performer, an Italian immigrant, to teach him the dance moves and practiced with her the whole week.

Kudos to Damiano for his hard work.

Amethyst

It was 2019, the band was answering some tweets during an interview and ...

@1:44

fan: I think only with Måneskin Italy will have a chance to win the Eurovision Song Contest.

Damiano: well, historically, we end up second place. So... honestly... I wouldn't bet everything on us -- and then it turns out we're going to win it! Yeah.Thank you for your trust.

:lol:

Ezio

Veteran
Looking back at Eurovision history, there have been a few defining turning points, let's call them cultural resets.

I think we just witnessed one of these. This is a sincere song, who doesn't give a single f about Eurovision winning formular. It told a story and was authentic. It likely captivated a new audience for Eurovision as well.

The 2010's hinted to this trend already, especially with Jamala and Sobral, but it didn't resound yet.

Before that, I would say 1998 and 2011 pushed that reset button hard. Prior to that, it's hard to tell, if there ever was a reset or just evolution, because mostly ballads won which started at being gentle and becoming more and more dramatic.

CPV4931

So happy about Maneskin being announced to play at my favorite festival last week :-) Can´t wait to see them there in June 2022

I think I found the first performance at Sanremo with ORCHESTRA, love it! , let's hold onto this video before the rai destroys all traces of its existence from all over the web!

Let's destroy RAI 🤣🤣 Their copyright policy is quite obnoxious. I couldn't believe tbat they didn't release at least one Sanremo video to promote the winner before the ESC.

P.S. guitars sound awful live at that stage acoustics, they better fix that next year.

sucof

Let's destroy RAI 🤣🤣 Their copyright policy is quite obnoxious. I couldn't believe tbat they didn't release at least one Sanremo video to promote the winner before the ESC.

P.S. guitars sound awful live at that stage acoustics, they better fix that next year.
in my opinion it is a question of rights, which the rai signs with the record companies. After sanremo, maybe they want people to watch the video clips that the record companies produce, because they want to make money with the views.
Of course it is striking that such a beautiful performance with the orchestra is not exceptionally put online at least on youtube by Rai,
after the victory at eurovision and the worldwide success they are achieving all over the world, after all, there is also a huge publicity for the sanremo festival!

Last edited:

Iker

Veteran
It's the same here, and possibly worse - check for yourself in this article (link), google translate is surprisingly accurate though its perhaps still slightly less insulting in English. And this view, as out of touch with reality as it is, is the absolute mainstream view of Eurovision here. There's also been other articles in other influential newspapers demanding we immediately stop supporting similar "crimes against culture" with our public funding. From people who didn't even bother watching. Disgusting.

But one thing has changed this year (this was also case after Salvador won, but wasn't as strong) - in the discussion section, besides the usual stupid "jokes" à la "well you'd need to be on drugs anyway to be willingly watching something as bad as Eurovision", there's quite a few strongly upvoted comments along the lines of "you know what? That winner song is actually an absolute killer, I love it!"

And that's something I am very grateful for, because whenever I'd opened such discussions before, it was just the jokes and very offensive insults. Thank you, Italy.
Actually after reading this Polish article in full it turns out that it was not that negative and dismissive, this journalist actually said that the ESC this year was high-quality overall.

Amethyst

I think I found the first performance at Sanremo with ORCHESTRA, love it! , let's hold onto this video before the rai destroys all traces of its existence from all over the web!

Love it.
Someone needs to upload 'Amandoti' with Manuel Agnelli, tho - it's a crime some people will never see it xgaah

jatojo

Looking back at Eurovision history, there have been a few defining turning points, let's call them cultural resets.

The more simplistic analysis: Once in a while there is an ESC winner that wins mainly because it is different: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021. So that's basically every second year.

I agree that it's harder to find examples before the early 1990's.

Ezio

Veteran
Your analysis is about how won winner does not follow his predecessor.

But the 90's were not really a diverse decade for Eurovision, until with televoting which lead to Dana International, and to quite a circus in the years to come.

And Lena made pop music relevant for Eurovision, while Sobral and Maneskin scored with unapologetic authenticity.

Sammy

Veteran
So I am working on a video that talks about reasons why Italy's win was so significant. Does anyone have some additional suggestions? I'm looking for serious stuff, not the "cause they're hot" kinda responses.
Another aspect (which also might have been mentioned): All of us experienced the last year a lot of rules, restrictions and guidelines. Even if one can understand and support them, they become tyring and you feel that your life is dominated by others (and also by the virus). The urge to break free and revolt against the situation as a whole (not necessary the measures itself) was well captured by both Italy and Finland. But Italy did it one step more rawly, more angrily, more rebelliously. The listener can find his/her frustration in the lyrics in multiple ways: frustration over conformity, over the neighbours who start to play the „blockwart“ during the lockdowns, frustration over covidiots who talk bullsh*tt, frustration over the whole situation... I really think Italy won because their song hit the general feeling of the people best.

Last edited:
Another aspect (which also might have been mentioned): All of us experienced the last year a lot of rules, restrictions and guidelines. Even if one can understand and support them, they become tyring and you feel that your life is dominated by others (and also by the virus). The urge to break free and revolt against the situation as a whole (not necessary the measures itself) was well captures by both Italy and Finland. But Italy did it one step more raw, more angry, more rebellious. The listener can find his/her frustration in the lyrics in multiple ways: frustration over conformity, over the neighbours who start to play the „blockwart“ during the lockdowns, frustration over covidiots who talk bullsh*tt, frustration over the whole situation... I really think Italy won because their song hit the general feeling of the people best.

Yes, but they in general have this type of socially aware songs.

Listen to Lividi sui gomiti, to me it is a song written by the new Italian generation of kids whose life was marked by growing up first in the middle of an economic crisis that hit Italy hard, and then in the middle of World pandemic that came soon after.

And though you see some solidarity, in the end in the times of crisis you mostly realize it is then when the people are the most selfish and cruel.

Never wish to live in interesting times. 😃

malombra

Yes, but they in general have this type of socially aware songs.

Listen to Lividi sui gomiti, to me it is a song written by the new Italian generation of kids whose life was marked by growing up first in the middle of an economic crisis that hit Italy hard, and then in the middle of World pandemic that came soon after.

And though you see some solidarity, in the end in the times of crisis you mostly realize it is then when the people are the most selfish and cruel.

Never wish to live in interesting times.
I believe that few, very few nations in the world have a tradition of highly critical, satirical, ironic songs and films towards their own country. It is our characteristic. I believe, however, that the lyrics are a reaction of the band to a certain kind of reception that their look, their way of presenting themselves, has provoked in a certain conformist and prejudiced world. The covid has little to do with it and so does the supposed financial crisis that would have hit Italy. Let's face it: a band so shamelessly erotic, caused a hormonal storm in half of Europe, with their energy, their arrogance. Just see the comments on the various social networks from users. Certainly a boy as controlled and respectable as the Swiss or the good French singer who, however, knew too much about baguettes, had little chance. I would not underestimate that the audience of voters has been much more heterogeneous than in previous years and this has helped to reward artists who have presented genres different from the usual consumerist and repetitive junk of pop that is not more commercial. So Italy, Ukraine have been awarded.

I believe that few, very few nations in the world have a tradition of highly critical, satirical, ironic songs and films towards their own country. It is our characteristic. I believe, however, that the lyrics are a reaction of the band to a certain kind of reception that their look, their way of presenting themselves, has provoked in a certain conformist and prejudiced world. The covid has little to do with it and so does the supposed financial crisis that would have hit Italy. Let's face it: a band so shamelessly erotic, caused a hormonal storm in half of Europe, with their energy, their arrogance. Just see the comments on the various social networks from users. Certainly a boy as controlled and respectable as the Swiss or the good French singer who, however, knew too much about baguettes, had little chance. I would not underestimate that the audience of voters has been much more heterogeneous than in previous years and this has helped to reward artists who have presented genres different from the usual consumerist and repetitive junk of pop that is not more commercial. So Italy, Ukraine have been awarded.

IMO they are not limited only to criticizing the people who would mock them, or the issue of self-acceptance.

They also criticize the society as a whole.

Now when you mention Italians loving to criticize their own country, we have the same thing in CRO, and you should also check Dubioza Kolektiva in Bosnia writing several songs titled only "Fu*** off" to the Bosnian government.

What I was trying to say, and you took me literally unfortunately, that in order to feel and sing about an angst against a society, there must be social injustice present that you have felt and saw (otherwise, if you are German, you sing I don' feel hate like Jendrik 🤣). And these kids were raised in a country that had observed many injustices in a past decade, much more than what was going on around other EU countries.

Gli spacciatori in Zitti e buoni, and the "gruppo con cui mangi" vs "zero" (Damiano's reference to himself) from Lividi sui gomiti, have far wider context than some kids being insulted by harsh comments.

Cresciuti con i lividi sui gomiti are not well behaved Germans (maybe only the immigrants there could write such a song).

"Io sarò zero, ma lo zero piscia in testa a te e il tuo gruppo
Striscia, prega, confonditi
A noi il coraggio non ci manca, siamo impavidi
Siamo cresciuti con i lividi sui gomiti
Non ce ne frega un cazzo di te
E del tuo gruppo con cui mangi, strisci, preghi, vomiti
A noi il coraggio non ci manca, siamo impavidi
Siamo cresciuti con i lividi sui gomiti
Non ce ne frega un cazzo di te
E del tuo gruppo con cui mangi"

Top Bottom