Che qui mi manca l’aria

Ma sono fuori di testa, ma diverso da loro
E tu sei fuori di testa, ma diversa da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro
Siamo fuori di testa, ma diversi da loro

Noi siamo diversi da loro​

Last edited by a moderator:
My final word of all this stupid controversy:

I know that sometimes Frenchies may be harsh towards Italians (and vice versa) but it's what we call "amour vache" and at the end of the day the vast majority of people here just like your country (and music, and food, and landscape, and many more things... Maybe just not your national football team. 😁)!
Harey, I personally (and I can tell you many other Italians too) love France.

France has a historical, cultural, landscape and food heritage that has nothing to envy to the Italian one. We are two excellences, two sisters who sometimes challenge each other to show who is the most beautiful 😄

Don't worry about the nonsense said by a few people. Our respect for you was not affected.

P.S .: I also love French women... what a charm! 😍 But don't tell Polly or says I'm an untrustworthy man! 😱🤣

Amethyst

Last edited:
Harey, I personally (and I can tell you many other Italians too) love France.

France has a historical, cultural, landscape and food heritage that has nothing to envy to the Italian one. We are two excellences, two sisters who sometimes challenge each other to show who is the most beautiful 😄

Don't worry about the nonsense said by a few people. Our respect for you was not affected.

P.S .: I also love French women... what a charm! 😍 But don't tell Polly or says I'm an untrustworthy man! 😱🤣

There you go, as papa said. 🤣

Though men from Southern France can compete with the Italians in the same segment haha.

North I ain't commenting. 😆

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
Temporarily locked to keep up with the amount of posts that need mod action.

We will not allow any posts that even try to hint that there's still some possibility drugs were being taken during ESC, or that the situation could still be perceived as such. The case is closed , the band member in question has been cleared and that should be the end of discussion publicly on this forum. If you still have opinions otherwise, take them somewhere else.

This thread has also derailed quite far into off-topic land, and when it opens back up, please stick to the topic at hand.

It is also not allowed to discuss or ask why posts were being removed, as per the rules.
4. Discussion of Moderation or criticism of the Forum's Adminds & Mods on the open board is not permitted. If you have questions such as "What happened to my post?" or "Why was I moderated?" are all legitimate questions and many cases have a sound answer but they will not be answered on the open board.

Thank you!

So I am working on a video that talks about reasons why Italy's win was so significant. Does anyone have some additional suggestions? I'm looking for serious stuff, not the "cause they're hot" kinda responses.

I will write the few stuff later on, but you can also find many quality reviews as to the songs composition, vocal, melodics, and the reasons for appeal to general audience, if you scroll through the thread.

The looks of the vocalist was mostly mentioned here by those who didn't like this entry. ;)

And thank you for opening the thread.

Sammy

Veteran
So I am working on a video that talks about reasons why Italy's win was so significant. Does anyone have some additional suggestions? I'm looking for serious stuff, not the "cause they're hot" kinda responses.
If not mentioned before: Italy fulfills quite a large number of „underdog“-qualities and people like underdogs prevailing in the end. Just look at these points:
- the rebellious nature of their act: lyrics, vocals, attitide, styling it‘s very much: we against the mainstream people
- the fact that their genre was widely considered as „non-eurovision“, thus perceived as one that would not stand chance in the competition.
- their late ascent in the betting odds: again triggering the story of the underestimated against the favorites (a bit comparable to Portugal 2017)
I‘m not saying people didn‘t like the song and just vote for the underdog, but I think a lot of people felt the song growing a lot when it started to fulfill the „underdog-winning“-stroy. Also: I don‘t mean to say anything negative about the quality of the entry by using the term underdog (just to avoid negative reactions here).

mauve

Veteran
It is also interesting that people voted for Italy in the end, even though we had two "rock" entries, along with Finland. Blind Channel was definitely the more accessible entry having "pop" elements in their song whereas Maneskin is an expression of a raw rock quality. Juries aside, the televoters voted more for the raw quality than the more accessible one though both got quite an amount of televotes. The question why Maneskin vote is: is it because it is connected partly with the circumstances we have to live in lately (Corona)? Or did the song convince so many people generally?
I don't want to return to mention the "he is hot"-topic, but we can't deny that Damiano has personality and charisma, something we shouldn't forget. And by that he owned the stage.
I think it is crucial that a Rock-entry won the WHOLE ESC, especially by a landslide televote winning. As Damiano would put it: Rock 'n Roll will never die! ;)

ag89

Another reason...Tastes obviously change. All top songs voted by the public had some edge. Italy had a song that was equally underground (which helped them to stand out) and equally mainstream (which helped them to get massive response from the public). This year more than ever it seems I have seen "regular" non Eurovision fans going crazy for a Eurovision song. The last time that happened, at least in my area, was in 2004 with all these summer hits. Portugal in 2017 was praised by ordinary people, but it faded quickly. Maneskin is getting a global career which doesn't happen regularly with ESC songs.
Also, their performance was simply fantastic, not because of the stage show, but because of their collective charisma and energy they produced during the performance.

Zeus

- It's not just your typical rock-ish kind of song, but there is a lot of creativity and authenticity to it as well. You could mention they won the best lyrics award.
- You didn't want something like ''cause they're hot'', but still, we can't deny the charisma of mostly Damiano and the female guitarist. Most people see just performances of 3 minutes and some green room-snippets. It does have an effect. I think the public back home can see that they are just really themselves. People like authenticity. France, Ukraine and Iceland did great as well for the same reason. Both musically and personally.
- Something that some people with poor musical ears might miss: Damiano has an incredible voice. It's not that only when you sing a ballad or reach the highest note you showcase a good voice. Damiano really feels the music, he sings really rhytmic (performing on the streets is a great training for that) and has a great rasp and reach. He is just a really talented singer and he uses it as an instrument. He is not just screaming or something. Even people who are usually not into rock (like my girlfriend) admit that. That's the case with more people across Europe, because with just some rockfans you never win the televote. And I do think a lot of singers from juries will gave their points for it as well (Damiano's great voice).
- Damiano's performance. From the first minute he guides you into the stage and the song. Also that 'buonasera, signore e signori'-line where he bows is just an epic moment. Furthermore, the whole performance draws you into the screen. You just want to see what they are doing. Great energy as well.

Summary: authenticity, creativity, Damiano's great voice, charisma of mostly Damiano and Victoria, stage presence, energy of the performance.

Remisan

- emotions, sincere, genuine, real. Facial expression, eyes, intonation. Damiano is a living emotion (there are other songs in the subject here, live performance of Torna a Casa, In nome del padre)
- incredible charisma and energy, all this gestures on stage (bow, interaction between group members), addressing the audience in the middle of a song, concert atmosphere
- the message of the song "you can overcome everything and be yourself, even if people say stupid and unpleasant things about you", in general that "people talk without understanding" - this is always relevant
-not an expert, but it seems to me that they gave the old rock a modern sound, they do not copy what was. they are all professionals, and they know how to get the audience (not only Damiano) I personally really like the instrumental part in the last third of the song
- they are cute, if people have seen their interviews and communication within the group, they have a very warm relationship, and people like it
- they are very young and started singing in the streets of Rome
- they have a lot of good songs, they experiment and all the songs sound very different, some people could see their channel and love their music

Last edited:

mup

Belarus on Måneskin:
“It is a bestiary of perverts, Degenerate homosexuals, garbage that smells of AIDS“said the presenter of the CTV channel.”Thank goodness they didn’t broadcast it in Belarus“.

“The modern world of democracy and progress successfully advances towards total insanity, towards perversion, towards individuals in thongs, towards the destruction of everything human, “he criticized.” We must separate ourselves from this progress by the Iron Curtain. We prefer the dictatorship. The whole world will sink into the abyss, but Belarus remains an island of freedom“.
source

Well, instant karma I guess... :cool:

EBU Executive Board agrees to suspension of Belarus Member BTRC​

source

I predicted this song will win from the first time I heard it and the first time I posted a post on this forum. I was ridiculed by many for that opinion, but I kept persistent. I would add I have an education in music so I have also listened the song in an unbiased way.

1. The first and most important winning factor was that Zitti e buoni is actually an anthemic song, delivering passionate and melodic sound that targets your emotions. Further very important thing - it delivers a strong and important message with firm attitude. Thus it was also awarded the best lyrics award, also for many referrences to other literally work, like Icarus myth or the novel The days of rage.

Zitti e buoni has the same thing that made Smells like teen spirit by Nirvana a generation anthem, or what made Seven nation army by the White Stripes a sports anthem - it is a statement, and message, beautiful in meaning and lyrics as much as in melody.

FOR THAT REASON, EVEN PEOPLE WHO DONT LIKE ROCK, VOTED FOR ZITTI E BUONI, AS THE SONG IS CAPABLE TO CROSS GENRE PREJUDICES AND BOUNDARIES.

THEREFORE, THOSE WHO THOUGHT THAT "NOISE" ROCK COULD NOT WIN, SIMPLY FORGOT THAT MUSIC IS HERE TO CROSS BOUNDARIES AND UNITE AND HAVE UNJUSTLY DISQUALIFIED THE SONG FROM THE START WITHOUT BOTHERING TO TRULLY HEAR THE SONG OR TO GET TO KNOW WHAT THE LYRICS ARE ALL ABOUT.

2. 2nd winning factor was not the looks of the band, but the first bands rehersal on ESC when everybody saw them live !!!!

As you remember, on that day they went from 4th in odds to 1st and that has never changed till the final.

Why? Because seeing them live made people realize that these 4 people compose their own music and that handsome vocalist writes every verse by himself, and that they present their music as their life, not a product!

Even those who were sceptic realized that what they see now is not a singer who had a prerecorded material and production behind him or her that made a final product, but 4 talented artists who composed every melody and a crazy bold kid who sings without backvocals.

TELEVOTERS THEREFORE DECIDED TO AWARD AUTHENTICITY - AUTHENTIC ARTISTIC WORK, NOT A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT.

THIS IS WHAT MAKES MANESKIN TO DRAW YOU IN THEIR ENERGY, NOT HOW THEY LOOK!

PERSONALLY, I FIND THE VOCALIST UGLY, BUT AS A SINGER AND PERFORMER THERE WAS NOBODY ON THAT STAGE THAT NIGHT WHO COULD STAND NEXT TO HIM.

AND VERY IMPORTANT - HE IS ABSOLUTELY AN AMAZING BARITON VOCAL FROM HITTING THE HIGHEST NOTES TO RAPPING FASTER THAN EMINEM.

3. ADDITIONAL FACTORS THAT HELPED THEM WIN

A) AN AMAZING PRODUCTION AND VOCALIZATION, ALL DONE BY THE BAND THEMSELVES, PUTTING THE JURIES INTO HARD POSITION NOT TO AWARD AT LEAST SOME POINTS TO THE ENTRY THAT DIDN'T SUIT THEIR TASTE.

People laughed at me here when I was saying that the juries will not downgrade the song due to the quality, but, ehm, I guess now we all know whether I was wrong or not.

Here I would like to add, to all reviewers of the music, that they should bear in mind to separate PERSONAL TASTE IN MUSIC from OBJECTIVE ASSESSMENT OF A SONG'S QUALITY.

ESPECIALLY, IF ONE DOESN'T KNOW WELL A CERTAIN GENRE OF MUSIC - AND ROCK IS A GENRE 100% DIFFERENT FROM OTHER GENRES - THEN ONE SHOULD REFRAIN FROM COMMENTING A QUALITY OR MELODY IN THE GENRE HE OR SHE IS NOT FAMILIAR WITH.

B) After hearing Zitti e buoni for 1st time, and realizing how great the song was, I went to hear whole 2 albums the band released so far. And they have even better songs than Zitti e buoni.

THEREFORE - MANY TELEVOTER HAD ALREADY KNOWN AND RESPECTED THE BAND FOR THEIR MUSIC AS A WHOLE.

RELEASING I WANNA BE YOUR SLAVE STUDIO LIVE FOR WIWIS, 3 DAYS BEFORE G FINAL, WAS ALSO A VERY WISE MOVE AND THEIR 2ND SONG WENT VIRAL EVEN BEFORE THE GF.

C) HATE AND SLANDERING BY OTHER COMMENTATORS.

This was also one of the most misunderstood contestants and people came here to slander the song and the band with trully unobjective remarks or even distasteful.

It was at the same time the most hated entry.

I WOULD USUALLY VOTE FOR A SONG ONCE, TOP TWICE, BUT THE HEARD OF HATERS WHO WERE HUMILIATING THE BAND, THE SONG, OR US WHO SIMPLY LIKED IT, MADE ME VOTE FOR IT 20 TIMES.

There, these were IMO the most decisive factors of the win.

DAMIANO SAID: RNR NEVER DIES

I WOULD SAY: THE PURE MUSIC HAD WON OVER EVERYTHING ELSE THAT IS ACTUALLY NOT IMPORTANT IN DELIVERING GREAT MUSIC.

Amethyst

What @Zeus said plus what we can call the "surprise" factor.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people jumped on their seat when they heard the first note and realized Italy, of all countries, was giving them a rock song and therefore were instantly hooked- the band's charisma+authenticity did the rest. Also, after a series of 'typical eurovision' performances, everyone was basically catapulted in the middle of a 3 minute concert and that much needed adrenaline rush surely left a mark.

Last edited:
-not an expert, but it seems to me that they gave the old rock a modern sound, they do not copy what was. they are all professionals, and they know how to get the audience (not only Damiano) I personally really like the instrumental part in the last third of the song

The 3 part of the song is bridge - outro where the melodic breakdown of electric guitar occurs together with the change of bas riff.

Whereas everybody praise basist and vocalist, I must say that the MELODIC BREAKDOWN IN OUTRO, PLAYED PREDOMINANTLY BY THOMAS RAGGI, IS AN ORIGINAL MASTERPIECE, AND THAT THOMAS RAGGI IS THE MELODIC SOUL AND IDENTITY OF THIS BAND.

IF HE IS PLAYING ON THIS LEVEL OF MUSIC AT THE AGE OF 20, I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE WHAT HE WILL BE PLAYING WHEN HE TURNS 30. AT THAT POINT HE MIGHT BECOME ONE OF THE BEST ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIMES.

Top Bottom