Contact us

Italy ITALY 2020 - Diodato - Fai rumore

How do you rate the song?

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Italy-scaled.jpg

musicfan

Can I change my winner? That performance made me cry ugly. I love Repondez-Mois, but this was something on a totally different level.

That's definitely a good performance, better than I'd heard before. We never really had a big stage live performance of the Swiss song did we? I would have liked to have seen that still. But for the time being this could be the best this year for me. And I'm glad I found another song this year that's decent.

A wise australian cowgirl once said in a german eurovision rating show: "Italian is language that wants to be sung". No wonder why Italy delivers hit after hit. This is once again one of the best entries of the season and Italy is in my personal Top 10 4th time in a row xclap

Italian is a very smooth sounding language which was popular for opera in the past as well. But that doesn't mean it delivers hit after hit for me. I don't think I like songs purely for the language they are in. It can sound nice but some styles can also sound generic and not so individual. Maybe some just depend on the smooth sound, not sure. But my favourite Italian songs in music I really love, the same with South Korean ballads. Korean can also have a smooth sound, you wouldn't think so with the more dance beat stuff produced now but there was a talent for writing some big ballads from at least the late 80s to early 00s there. But then the music changed.

As it is this is likely the best Italian entry to Eurovision since their return, most of the recent songs I haven't liked so much and I feel there has been overhype. Though Gabbani was catchy and some effort was made with Michielin, they deserved high placings. Perhaps, as with Sweden, people follow the pre-selection so intensely because there's a long standing format that gives prestige for people. Sanremo started before Eurovision. But I'll take each song as it is, I don't care where it's from or what language it is in.

Has there actually been an official translation? I read that 'say something' is a better description of the title than 'make noise'. Saying someone is making a noise in english either means literally that or that someone is making a complaint about something.

Last edited:

musicfan

Make a sound

[verse]
Do you know what I think?
That I shouldn't be thinking
And that if I think, then I'm an animal
And if I think about you, you're a soul

But perhaps it's this storm
that takes me to you
And I know I shouldn't be found
Without an umbrella, though

I know that
However far I run away
I will always return to you...

[chorus]
Who makes a sound here
And I don't know if it's good for me
If this sound suits me

But make a sound, yes
Because I can't stand
This unnatural silence between us

[verse]
I go around without speaking
Without a destination to arrive at
I wear my shoes out and perhaps they
Know all too well where to go

I find myself in those same places again
Exactly those places that I should have avoided
And I pretend I don't remember
And I pretend to forget

But I know that
However far I run away
I will always return to you...

[chorus]
Who makes a sound here
And I don't know if it's good for me
If your sound suits me

But make a sound, yes
Because I can't stand
This unnatural silence
Between you and me

But make a sound, yes
Because I can't stand
This unnatural silence

But now I don't want to be without
That beautiful sound you make.

tuorem

My review:

ITALY 2020 - Diodato - Fai rumore: "non mi piace questa canzone... Io chiedo sinceramente scusa Italia"

Well, Italians keep doing them and send quality music that's in line with their music scene year after year. Sanremo remains a highlight despite the endless talking and random side-events, we wouldn't have had had Eurovision if it hadn't existed.

The thing is despite applauding Italians for staying true to themselves (and finally embracing their language without threatening us with potential translations), some of their efforts don't hit me and "Fai Rumore" is one of them. It's classy, heartfelt and so typically Italian. There is nothing I'd like to point out on a musical level, as I don't spot any "flaw". It just so happens that I don't connect with it. I like the classic sound of Sanremo, but it's also nice to have something different from time to time. "Fai Rumore" joins "L'essenziale", "Non Mi Avete Fatto Niente" and "I Tuoi Particolari" (had Ultimo won the selection last year) in the "nice-on-the-radio-but-nothing-that-thrills-me" category, the lyrical content and delivery may be on point, it still fails to move me. With that being said, I'd take this over "Uni-lame-so" and "The Brie cheese In Me" any day.

Prediction-wise, I realised Italians do better than eurofans expect except when they are hot favourites, so I guess that effort would have found its audience too. I would have imagined a 11-15 finish, maybe a lower end of the top 10 score.

It's safe to say Diodato won't be in Eurovision next year, unless he come backs and wins again, which is quite unlikely. I hope we'll have a female representative in the next five years so that Gianluca can stan every once in a while :p Personally, I don't have any precise expectation towards Italians because they deliver even when I don't like their song, so I'll wait my turn to be back on the Italian hype train. Oh wait, I would like them to send another "big" song that gets some deserved hype and finally ends up winning. It's about time we head to Italia I think.

Milos-BC

This was yet another outstanding :it: entry. Among my favorites for sure. I don't think he had the chance of winning, but :it: would've gotten another top 5 result for sure.

8 points.

Ezio

Veteran

mup

xlove I would have put his song as an interval act in the final, but I'm glad it made to the Eurovision stage.

Top Bottom