Contact us

Issues regarding Rome's host city bid + possible solution

I want to talk about the host city race for this year (2022), especially about the situation in Rome, the capital city.

The situation regarding Rome is similar to that of Copenhagen in 2014 (when they were about to host Eurovision). Copenhagen had to use an ex-industrial hub as their venue because other venues are either too small (Brøndby Hall and Ballerup Super Arena) or too large (Parken Stadium) and there was not enough time to build a new venue (but it finally came in 2017 as Royal Arena).

On the other hand, Rome's main indoor venue, PalaLottomatica, currently has at least two issues:
  1. Unusual seating shape (circular instead of U-shaped or horseshoe-shaped).
  2. Vaulted ceiling/roof (making it unable to hang suspended loads normally used in Eurovision).
Adding a retractable roof to the Stadio Olimpico is not practical either, because it is just too large.

So, based on that, it is necessary for Rome's authorities to build a new venue in any way, shape or form:
  • remodeling their main indoor venue "PalaLottomatica"
  • demolishing "PalaLottomatica" and building a new indoor venue on the former ground that PalaLottomatica was, or
  • building a new indoor venue as an addition to the PalaLottomatica
with the following recommended specifications (of mine):
  • indoor (of course), with good air-conditioning.
  • U-shaped/horseshoe seating plan (similar to other common indoor venues such as London's O2 or Hamburg's Barclaycard Arena).
  • minimum rigging height of 20 metres.
  • capacity of between 17,000 and 20,000 for concerts (and between 14,000 and 16,000 for indoor sports).
  • a roof structure that is good enough for hanging suspended loads.
  • supported by a good sound system for musical events.
Even if Rome is not chosen as the host city for this year, the new venue will still be beneficial for Rome itself to host future sports and musical events.

Last edited:

tomos2019

I don't get why the capitals never seem to be in the running these days, and yet on the other hand if Ukraine had hosted it in Lviv I'd have actually liked to see that! I also think though it's unlikely if the UK wins IMO it should be around Bristol or Cardiff because by rights if Edinburgh hosted then Cardiff should also be allowed to, I know that was back then but I think it may be possibly time to scale down the whole thing to some extent anyway given that the previous two contests have both technically had some form of audience reaction issues during the televoting!

I don't get why the capitals never seem to be in the running these days, and yet on the other hand if Ukraine had hosted it in Lviv I'd have actually liked to see that! I also think though it's unlikely if the UK wins IMO it should be around Bristol or Cardiff because by rights if Edinburgh hosted then Cardiff should also be allowed to, I know that was back then but I think it may be possibly time to scale down the whole thing to some extent anyway given that the previous two contests have both technically had some form of audience reaction issues during the televoting!
I don't get why the capitals never seem to be in the running these days, and yet on the other hand if Ukraine had hosted it in Lviv I'd have actually liked to see that!

well, it is actually a matter of four aspects:
  • a venue (main venue + surrounding areas for press centre, press conferences, delegation rooms and so on) with certain requirements.
  • proximity to an international airport.
  • a certain number of hotel rooms (usually minimum of 2,000)
so, if any city in the winning country meets the requirements and submits their bid to the broadcaster, they can get the chance.

Franco

1. Vaulted ceiling/roof (making it unable to hang suspended loads normally used in Eurovision).

How about something like this?
it4vVTM.jpg

Top Bottom