6 3.9%

13 8.6%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Semra

It's probably better quality than UK's song. I had a hard time picking who I like more. I'm not a pop girl expert, it's not my kind of music. But after a while I settled on the UK. It just flows better and I kind of like it more and more wheras I get tired of the Unicorn.

But maybe all will change when I see it on stage. I absolutely didn't like SloMo (audio) last year, but when I saw Chanel on stage there was no denying... Still didn't like the song but objectivly saw the quality of the whole package. She deserved top 3.

simori95

Somehow my relationship to this Song remains troubled, but I still really enjoy it. Maybe the incohesiveness is what doesn’t sit right with me in my head, but I still can’t deny that I like it

Ezio

Veteran
Armenia, Israel, UK ... three amazing girly bops. The staging and lives will decide if they will cannibalize each other or if there is a clear winner. Armenia and Israel could win the jury vote.

MooseShoes

I don't really have a dog in this fight as none of the songs I'm about to mention are among my favourites. But...

:no: 2019 & 2023
"Violent nightshade"
"Northern lights"
"Dancing with the fairies"
"Warrior of North and Southern Seas"
"Firestone forged in flames"

...Eurofans be like:

:il: 2023
"The power of a unicorn"

Just saying.

Loindici

Veteran
I don't really have a dog in this fight as none of the songs I'm about to mention are among my favourites. But...

:no: 2019 & 2023
"Violent nightshade"
"Northern lights"
"Dancing with the fairies"
"Warrior of North and Southern Seas"
"Firestone forged in flames"

...Eurofans be like:

:il: 2023
"The power of a unicorn"

Just saying.

Oooh so you're saying Norwegian songs with clear folktale context is equal to a girl randomly putting unicorn in her pop song?

kpop-kpop-meme.gif

MooseShoes

Oooh so you're saying Norwegian songs with clear folktale context is equal to a girl randomly putting unicorn in her pop song?

kpop-kpop-meme.gif
Well, I wasn't being too serious. Also, I deliberately broke Eurofan rule 219.a, which is to never make any negative comments regarding KEiiNO! In their case, the lyrics tie up with the joiking and it isn't taking itself too seriously. However, the lyrics to this year's :no: song just feel like generic powerful warrior woman stuff to me, yet some people are going on about its feminist message.

On a more serious (or boring) note, there could be a conversation to be had about what different countries can "get away with" and what's expected of them when it comes to ESC, as well as how fair that is. For example, why the UK could never send a Verka Serduchka-style entry because it would just seem like they weren't taking the contest seriously, or how some televoters were apparently put off Fulenn because "it wasn't French enough."

Loindici

Veteran
Well, I wasn't being too serious. Also, I deliberately broke Eurofan rule 219.a, which is to never make any negative comments regarding KEiiNO! In their case, the lyrics tie up with the joiking and it isn't taking itself too seriously. However, the lyrics to this year's :no: song just feel like generic powerful warrior woman stuff to me, yet some people are going on about its feminist message.

On a more serious (or boring) note, there could be a conversation to be had about what different countries can "get away with" and what's expected of them when it comes to ESC, as well as how fair that is. For example, why the UK could never send a Verka Serduchka-style entry because it would just seem like they weren't taking the contest seriously, or how some televoters were apparently put off Fulenn because "it wasn't French enough."

... Okay, I'm not a KEiiNO fan, so this is awkward. I don't find Alessandra's lyrics that specific for Norway, though it still works since it's talking about a warrior woman who can run like wind, open cages, and break BDSM chains from start to finish, there's a clear context there.

However, it's already near the dance break and I haven't been told by Noa... what's the power of the unicorn?

---

Expectations in Eurovision are influenced by a country's music potential and their previous entries.

UK can't be taken seriously if they sent Electro Velvet when Little Mix and Katy B were in the scene. It's literally one of the biggest music market in the world, so sending something like that would be pointless to the size of the potential.

Some countries can get away with certain songs since they've marketed or have been associated with some traits about their entry, or with their previous entries. I believe Fulenn might've not been French enough since the typical traits of a French entry might be "French, elegant, and beautiful". People might expect another Italian men again since it's just what the keep on sending. People might expect another Swedish turd since we all have been invaded with Swedish turds everywhere.

HarryUK

I've had this song on repeat for DAYS now and I think it could be in my top 3 soon

edit; after another play, it's in my top 3

Last edited:

simori95

Damn sometimes I am really happy that I am a „I don’t really pay attention to lyrics“ kinda guy, it seems like that just fuels disappointment constantly. :confused:

A-lister

Veteran
Damn sometimes I am really happy that I am a „I don’t really pay attention to lyrics“ kinda guy, it seems like that just fuels disappointment constantly. :confused:

I hear you, I'm the same. Lyrical content isn't a make it or break it for me unless it's really awful or it's a type of "serious song" where the lyrics is much more a prominent and important part of it.

Also, people go to Eurovision for "quality lyrics" is a bit like people go to McDonald's for "quality food". In a contest where you have 3m to impress most, where countries still stubbornly send songs in English where neither the songwriters or singer/s are particularly good at English to begin with, you kinda end up with the lyrical content you have (which is another out of many arguments why countries should opt out from English all and all in Eurovision).

But I guess people are different, I care more about the melody, production and composition of songs before I listen to lyrics and often it's actually nicer to not understand the lyrics and just have a foreign language add to the melody of things instead of paying too much attention to what a song is trying to "say". If I wanted that, I'd go to a poetry slam instead of Eurovision.

HarryUK

Believe in the power of the unicorn

theditz83

Veteran
It's going for the SloMo effect, but it fails? SloMo had a dance break and a final chorus that seals the deal.

Unicorn's dance break sounds like it's constantly building up to something big and just ends. They aimed for SloMo, but landed on Mata Hari, but at least MH's build-up doesn't feel wasted.
All of this - the end is just such a disappointment, I felt hungry for something more that never appeared :lol:

Ezio

Veteran
the unicorn is also a symbol of Israel called Shofar is played during ceremonies
Really? I thought the Shofar was about the ram horns.

well, that’s obviously a ram‘s horn.

A ram horn a day keeps the Devil away

Yazy

Several pages back I criticized this entry for how jarring the whole mood swing structure is.

Here I am now and it grew on me. 🤦‍♂️

There is something about this song's wacky ass structure combined with cornball lyrics that I suddenly find amusing (despite complaining about it previously).
Hence why I feel I'm liking this in a more of an ironic way.

I will say however: I don't want this kind of song structure to become a trend for songs in the future.
Only for this track exclusively will I be on board with this gimmick.

I bims

Veteran
I listened to it a couple of times because I kinda want to like it, I like me a pop diva song.
But no, I just can't with this. It's just too disjointed, I can't really sing along. The only part that's prominent is the fucking "power of the unicorn" and I feel so stupid humming along that I have the power of the unicorn. It's such a childish phrase presented in a sexy way, that's just weird. I'd rather sing gibberish like "Her name is she".
I rarely care about lyrics, if they don't make sense I don't care as long as the song is still catchy. But this is just cringy. And I hate the structure so much that the "unicorn" bit stands out even more.

Top Bottom