61 19.5%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
israel_640.png

Charly

Re: ISRAEL 2018

by Gil Laufer May 10, 2017 12:59 am

A critical announcement came in during the broadcast of today’s evening news report of IBA: the broadcaster will end its broadcast within an hour. After 49 years, Israel’s Broadcasting Authority (IBA) is officially shut down.

Starting today (Wednesday), a slide will be presented on IBA’s two channels (1 and 33) and the radio broadcasts of IBA will include music only.

A total of 20 workers will remain on set in order to provide a smooth broadcast of the Eurovision Song Contest feed from Kyiv. As Israel has no commentator, the broadcast is accompanied by subtitles added on in Jerusalem. IBA’s radio station 88FM will broadcast the contest as well with live commentary by Kobi Menora, Dori Ben Ze’ev and Alon Amir.

Two of IBA’s broadcasting breakthroughs belong to the Eurovision Song Contest, with the first colour broadcast being Eurovision 1979 and the first HD broadcast being Semifinal 1 of Eurovision 2010 (in preparations for the FIFA World Cup that was held later that year).

The new broadcaster, IPBC (Israel Public Broadcasting Corporation), or Kan (Here) as it is called in Hebrew, is set to begin broadcasting on 15 May, after producing online content for a while, mainly on Facebook. Having no active news department, which is a requirement for an EBU membership, they would not be able to join the union immediately. However, as soon as joining the EBU, they will get all the rights to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest. They are already supporting and promoting IMRI for this year’s contest in their online channels.

Despite starting to run auditions for Rising Star for Eurovision 2018, produced by Keshet and Teddy Productions on Channel 2, it will be up to IPBC to decide whether they would like to use this mechanism for choosing the Israeli representative or to have a different system for 2018.

AlekS

Veteran

I hope IPBC will start broadcasting the news & join the EBU or the EBU will make a compromise.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/3543562/israel-eurovision-song-contest-2017-last-year/

According to The Jerusalem Post, the EBU is keen to strike a deal which allows Israel, a long-standing Eurovision competitor, to continue to participate.
A spokesman told the paper: “Once IBA, the existing member of the EBU, has been dissolved and IPBC becomes operational, an application for membership of the EBU will be fully considered.

“Therefore, at the moment, the EBU has no formal position on this.”

utahrangerone

I will truly miss that Israeli spokesman.. His speaking every year a few phrases of host's language was special. Many thanks to all IBA personnel for 49 years of faithful work. May you futures be filled with blessings. [I know they wont see that, but consider it a prayer out to the ether/God.

ScarlettGirl

I will truly miss that Israeli spokesman.. His speaking every year a few phrases of host's language was special. Many thanks to all IBA personnel for 49 years of faithful work. May you futures be filled with blessings. [I know they wont see that, but consider it a prayer out to the ether/God.

I will miss him as well :( :( :( :(

A-lister

Veteran

I hope both Israel and the spokesperson will come back next year, Israel has been one of the strongest ESC countries ever with a long history in the contest, it wouldn't be the same without them. Maybe a stronger entry with someone who can sing next year though? The most interesting part of the entry this year was the small ethno part, but it was way too limited. Also I miss Hebrew!

randajad

Veteran

I hope to see them back, and I think we will see them. I mean EBU will do something , right? :) I hate that spokesperson tho. :lol:

revallsay

I hope they will be in, Israel is one of my favourite ESC countries.

CPV4931

Israel has been in my top 10 in 3 of the last 4 years (out of them my #1 in 2015 and my #2 in 2014), so I really hope they keep participating :-)

Edward

Just send the backing singer of the backing singer of the backing singer. You know. That guy.

mykka

I really hope they return, that guy is so iconic too!

alca

Also I miss Hebrew!

Amen! Israel was the only country with that unwritten(?) rule stating that there should be a few words in Hebrew (I think it was a percentage) but then, 2015 came. :(

Charly

With Israel confirmed it would probably leave San Marino as doubtful especially that statement they said earlier "Micronations has no place"

AlekS

Veteran

The stage:
vgaBxa5.jpg

No changes comparing to the previous edition except the lighting setup.

Top Bottom