17 9.7%

24 13.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HarryUK

Irish government does keep gutting RTEs budget but that still doesn’t excuse anything, plenty of acts have done a lot with a little in the past
Hurricane in 2021 used up 100% of the hair and makeup budget for that contest and contests for the next 5 years, so they're not fully to blame really

MAD20

Is it so difficult for Ireland to prepare an internal selection whose panel is formed of young people and not RTÉ dinosaurs? We've already checked The Late Late Show isn't useful to select a good entry, as the audience is prominently old. Or a well thought NF with enough promo to attract viewers on the show night. Last internal selection was Lesley Roy, and while Maps was a stunning song, the staging and vocals weren't nice.

Come on Ireland, sending something just to qualify is not that difficult...

HarryUK

Last internal selection was Lesley Roy, and while Maps was a stunning song, the staging and vocals weren't nice.
They had the poor woman running on a treadmill, is there any wonder why her vocals were awful :ROFLMAO:

Ezio

Veteran
This song from Ireland sounds like a chart entry of the 90's, when U2 and the Corrs were big. The backwardedness and naiveté of Ireland to come up with songs like these, year after year, is tragic to witness. I feel like Ireland is travelling back in time year by year.

I could see older folks voting for this, but it has no mass appeal whatsoever. Also, the vocal struggle is real, so I don't see the jurors liking this song at all.

Ireland had a streak of good songs from 2011 to 2013. Their last place finishing song 10 years sounds much better than this.

But when Ireland was big in Eurovision, they were also big in the music industry. Apparently their music industry has collapsed.

Deleted member 12761

I feel bad for these guys. There seems to be 0 hype for their song. Their "50 days to Eurovision" video is one if not the least watched. They always look sad and miserable and I guess they're aware of the bubbles opinions. Ireland really needs to change something next year. Low budget is not an excuse. As much as I like NFs I think they should just cancel their NF and use the budget for a good singer and song. If a small country like Malta can find something good, so can Ireland. I don't think budget is the problem. I think the problem is the same as we had in Germany before LOTL. The people behind the scenes are the problem.

HarryUK

I feel bad for these guys. There seems to be 0 hype for their song. Their "50 days to Eurovision" video is one if not the least watched. They always look sad and miserable and I guess they're aware of the bubbles opinions. Ireland really needs to change something next year. Low budget is not an excuse. As much as I like NFs I think they should just cancel their NF and use the budget for a good singer and song. If a small country like Malta can find something good, so can Ireland. I don't think budget is the problem. I think the problem is the same as we had in Germany before LOTL. The people behind the scenes are the problem.
I don't feel sorry for them. Sub par song gets sub par reviews and reactions. Groundbreaking.

SpiritofKeiino

Their heart isn't in it. Have they been getting personally toxic abuse or something, or is it just the generally poor reaction to the song that's been getting them down? The former is unacceptable, the latter is a risk that you take when you enter Eurovision.

Deleted member 12761

Their heart isn't in it. Have they been getting personally toxic abuse or something, or is it just the generally poor reaction to the song that's been getting them down? The former is unacceptable, the latter is a risk that you take when you enter Eurovision.
I agree. I'm not the biggest fan of the song but I don't think they would be completely chanceless if they tried but like you said, their heart isn't in it. You can have a generic song but give it to a charismatic and talented singer and it becomes competitive. The problem is their performances are even worse. They have like 0 charisma and energy. The staging and MV are also weird. The song is happy, colorful and hopeful yet everything they've done so far looks sad, dark and hopeless. They could elevate the song with a better performance but at this point I have 0 hope for them.

MooseShoes

A quick look at the history books tells me that Ireland's 2000-2007 record goes: 6th, 21st, 11th, 22nd, NQ, 10th then last in the final. After that, they felt sufficiently aggrieved to give us Dustin the Turkey in 2008.

I dread to think what they'll send after three semi-final last places in four years.

SpiritofKeiino

I agree. I'm not the biggest fan of the song but I don't think they would be completely chanceless if they tried but like you said, their heart isn't in it. You can have a generic song but give it to a charismatic and talented singer and it becomes competitive. The problem is their performances are even worse. They have like 0 charisma and energy. The staging and MV are also weird. The song is happy, colorful and hopeful yet everything they've done so far looks sad, dark and hopeless. They could elevate the song with a better performance but at this point I have 0 hope for them.
It was Conor's dream to enter Eurovision, his late mother who sadly died of a brain tumour loved it. See below.

www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/eurovisions-conor-odonohoe-says-losing-29138048.amp

I'm wondering if there were some tensions in the group about the decision to enter Eurovision (especially with a song that is not WY's usual style), that perhaps have resurfaced? Maybe Conor strongly pushed for WY to enter, maybe he persuaded the other members to take the risk. Maybe WY now regret entering because the song has got a negative reaction? Maybe they are worried that the risk won't pay off and will actually damage the band's credibility in Ireland? I'm speculating of course.

The video with the masks, I agree it is so dreary and unusual and jarring with the happy positive song. Had they just given up, were they upset about the fan reaction to We Are One and decided to cover their faces because they didn't want to fake joy? Are they trying to distance themselves from the song?

MopManMoss

Veteran
It was Conor's dream to enter Eurovision, his late mother who sadly died of a brain tumour loved it. See below.

www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/eurovisions-conor-odonohoe-says-losing-29138048.amp

I'm wondering if there were some tensions in the group about the decision to enter Eurovision (especially with a song that is not WY's usual style), that perhaps have resurfaced? Maybe Conor strongly pushed for WY to enter, maybe he persuaded the other members to take the risk. Maybe WY now regret entering because the song has got a negative reaction? Maybe they are worried that the risk won't pay off and will actually damage the band's credibility in Ireland? I'm speculating of course.

The video with the masks, I agree it is so dreary and unusual and jarring with the happy positive song. Had they just given up, were they upset about the fan reaction to We Are One and decided to cover their faces because they didn't want to fake joy? Are they trying to distance themselves from the song?
I dont really understand why Conor is the one singing he isnt the leader singer in nearly any of their other songs

Ajeje Brazorf

The song is totally forgettable, yet it was Ireland's best option for Eurovision. That explains why Ireland is not doing good in Eurovision anymore.

Chrisiam

I honestly feel the reason they are wearing the masks is that they possibly had recorded/remixed other remakes of the original song and rather than re-recording the video for each version they just wore masks so that then all they needed to do was edit the footage differently depending on which version ended up getting used.

Top Bottom