That's rich
That's rich
Yeah that's rich
When It's coming from you
That's rich

BYE BYE fool (ooww!)​

Looren

Veteran
This one is okay 8/10, yeah no bad songs in this NF, pretty good but everything is NQ :D

Mainshow

Veteran
Seriously, I think that sometimes the reason why a country fails in Eurovision is because of some juries hidden at a TV station from these respective countries. Instead of choosing 6 different entries from 6 different genres, we got a same-ish, generic selection of songs from Ireland - probably the jury was trying to attract Eurovision viewers by finding "universal/international radio songs" but imo, they failed - especially the entries composed by Swedish producers/songwriters are really bland, dull and simply boring.

There were rumors that Helene Fischer, Jeanette Biedermann wanted to represent Germany back in 2009 but that "hidden jury at our TV station" choose "Miss Kiss Kiss Bang" instead.... or they threw "El Diablo" away and went for songs such as "I don´t feel hate" or "Sister" or "Wildfire/Perfect Life" instead.

These juries need to get bolder, seriously. If these people don´t like contemporary, exciting, ethnic, folk, metal music.... you basically just get some boring and dull crap with no real chances in Eurovision.

(Ok, that was harsh because all in all, the Irish selection is not THAT bad.. it´s just super non-competitive and generic).

Sabrewulf238

Seriously, the Irish broadcaster received 320 songs!!

I would love to hear the other 314 songs... there must have been a few more compelling, mesmerising, progressive, creative, contemporary and bold songs!!?!!

It was a good few years ago now, but I remember one year a band released a song that was rejected for the national final and it was way better and more interesting than anything in the national final. So I wouldn't have a hard time believing that there are better songs that they rejected this year.

I think our delegation has a really poor attitude towards Eurovision. It should be our opportunity to showcase not just our musical talent but also our creativity (and our musical diversity!) to the rest of Europe but instead it's just a cynical attempt (and not even a good attempt at that) every year to pump out some supposed "international radio hit".

mauve

Veteran
(Ok, that was harsh because all in all, the Irish selection is not THAT bad.. it´s just super non-competitive and generic).
It wasn't harsh ... it was the truth, unfortunately. What I simply don't understand is that - as you said - Ireland have six songs of the same genre in here. They should take a look at Finland for example where there's a variety of songs represented.

Ajeje Brazorf

I think the best choice for Ireland is actually "I'm loving me" because it is basic but it can be easily revamped if they want to. That's rich it's probably the song we will listen in Torino, because it is the more immediate, even if I'm not that impressed. I don't dislike Brendan song aswell: it's a ballad, not the most beautiful ballad I listened, but anyway it isn't unpleasant (I'm not a fan of this voice, but here I don't find it annoying). The other three songs are a "no, thanks" for me.

ESC94

Oh my gosh, just tried listening to Miles song and had to turn it off after one minute because it was freaking irritating!! xwall

Seriously :ie:?? Do you really think you can stop your ESC drought with these six shades of boredom?? xgaah

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Bless Ireland for being Ireland and reminding the continent those 2 islands off to the North of France are musically deaf when it comes to picking songs for Eurovision. Don't worry we'll soon do the same and have our own mid tempo basic pop song and join you in obscurity until May, where will flop and then blame brexit.

I guess not all of them are awful, some are in fact quite alright but none of them are great at all, a revamp must be on the table. With 320 songs i bet there were many, probably from unknown artists etc who had much better, more diverse music on offer than a line up of cookie cutter pop and ballads. Don't get me wrong, i don't mind a bit of cookie cutter, but not to this level. With Irelands grand history you all really do deserve so much better than what your broadcaster gives you.

theditz83

Veteran
xmusicxmusicxmusicxmusicxmusic

Life's a highway, now I'm driving
And I'm on the right track
I hear a voice inside me saying
There's no turning back

Feel the wind in my hair
Love is still there
But I'm loving me
I am ready to fly
Reach for the sky
Finally I'm free
Loving me....

xmusicxmusicxmusicxmusicxmusic

I want this late 80s, early 90s bangger in Turin! xlove xheart

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2Ffad94013a945841f4f7706ffe3b90903.1000x1000x1.png
My morning feel-good wake-up bop right now. Sometimes music doesn't have to experimental or break new ground to really have an impact - this song is helping me through blue January and I'm loving me... I mean, it! xlove xheya

• La La Love
Reactions: Mrm

Ianp16

Seriously, I think that sometimes the reason why a country fails in Eurovision is because of some juries hidden at a TV station from these respective countries. Instead of choosing 6 different entries from 6 different genres, we got a same-ish, generic selection of songs from Ireland - probably the jury was trying to attract Eurovision viewers by finding "universal/international radio songs" but imo, they failed - especially the entries composed by Swedish producers/songwriters are really bland, dull and simply boring.

There were rumors that Helene Fischer, Jeanette Biedermann wanted to represent Germany back in 2009 but that "hidden jury at our TV station" choose "Miss Kiss Kiss Bang" instead.... or they threw "El Diablo" away and went for songs such as "I don´t feel hate" or "Sister" or "Wildfire/Perfect Life" instead.

These juries need to get bolder, seriously. If these people don´t like contemporary, exciting, ethnic, folk, metal music.... you basically just get some boring and dull crap with no real chances in Eurovision.

You're only speaking the truth!

I think Ireland's 80's and 90's glory days when they ridiculously either won or came second 7 out of 11 entries (!!!!) are holding them back, because there's the older generation in control who were around in them days and who think that 'just a really good radio song' will do well. The ESC is a different creature ENTIRELY since the end of the 90's, and they still can't seem to realise this. Nations with a much smaller budget and MUCH smaller population seem to even do better than Ireland, such as San Marino, who in theory should not. Same story with the BBC and UK, but it's bit more complex with us. So sad. I've said over and over again on here how embarrassing it is that UK and Ireland can't even get it right, ONCE, in the last 10 years. Not one top 5 between two nations that used to be amongst the ESC heavyweights for decades.

ESC94

You're only speaking the truth!

I think Ireland's 80's and 90's glory days when they ridiculously either won or came second 7 out of 11 entries (!!!!) are holding them back, because there's the older generation in control who were around in them days and who think that 'just a really good radio song' will do well. The ESC is a different creature ENTIRELY since the end of the 90's, and they still can't seem to realise this. Nations with a much smaller budget and MUCH smaller population seem to even do better than Ireland, such as San Marino, who in theory should not. Same story with the BBC and UK, but it's bit more complex with us. So sad. I've said over and over again on here how embarrassing it is that UK and Ireland can't even get it right, ONCE, in the last 10 years. Not one top 5 between two nations that used to be amongst the ESC heavyweights for decades.

True, I think people in charge at RTE got complacent after the four victories in the 90s and thought it would continue just like that. They completely forgot the fact that all these wins and good placements were during a time with 100 % jury voting and I strongly doubt that songs like "Why Me?" and "The Voice" would have scored so well if televoting would ´ve been a thing back then. And after their strike of good placement broke for the first time they became increasingly clueless and still don´t know how Eurovision in the 21st century is working. xshrug

So far :ie: hasn´t reached :uk: level of incompetence but it´s coming increasingly closer.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
True, I think people in charge at RTE got complacent after the four victories in the 90s and thought it would continue just like that. They completely forgot the fact that all these wins and good placements were during a time with 100 % jury voting and I strongly doubt that songs like "Why Me?" and "The Voice" would have scored so well if televoting would ´ve been a thing back then. And after their strike of good placement broke for the first time they became increasingly clueless and still don´t know how Eurovision in the 21st century is working. xshrug

So far :ie: hasn´t reached :uk: level of incompetence but it´s coming increasingly closer.

Idk I'd say they're as incompetent as each other, both fall into the same traps and both do the exact same thing - they both have these dated and very warped view on the contest and it's not just confined to the people picking the songs but the wider public also. This nf line up could easily be a Eurovision: You Decide line up also. In Irelands case, when you get the likes of Jedward getting one of your best results in a long time it doesn't help that image. Just it feels worse for the UK as a music industry is obviously FARRRR more dominant so people notice the difference when it comes to Eurovision. I'd say it needs to be completely take from the broadcasters hands, but we did that last year and look how it went. Any decent results either side have had have been purely coincidental and not a clear effort to do better.

ESC94

Idk I'd say they're as incompetent as each other, both fall into the same traps and both do the exact same thing - they both have these dated and very warped view on the contest and it's not just confined to the people picking the songs but the wider public also. This nf line up could easily be a Eurovision: You Decide line up also. In Irelands case, when you get the likes of Jedward getting one of your best results in a long time it doesn't help that image. Just it feels worse for the UK as a music industry is obviously FARRRR more dominant so people notice the difference when it comes to Eurovision. I'd say it needs to be completely take from the broadcasters hands, but we did that last year and look how it went. Any decent results either side have had have been purely coincidental and not a clear effort to do better.

You know, in German there´s an interesting saying that fits perfectly here: Ein blindes Huhn findet auch mal ein Korn. (Even a blind chicken finally finds a piece of grain)

Same can be said about :de: though. :lol:

FabiESC

My Ranking

1 Rachel Goode – I’m Loving Me 10/10
2 Brooke – That’s Rich 9/10
3 Brendan Murray – Real Love 7/10
4 Miles Graham – Yeah, We’re Gonna Get Out Of It 6/10
5 Janet Grogan – Ashes of Yesterday 3/10
6 Patrick O’Sullivan – One Night, One Kiss, One Promise 3/10

ESCREGION

Brooke is the best but imo none of these songs can stand in Eurovision...:rolleyes:

GWTW1939

This NF sounds exactly like a British one. Uninspired ballads, dated uptempos and a one that sounds kind of modern but is hardly anything special.

One thing I find interesting is all the love for "I'm Loving Me" cause it's basically The Ride" 2.0 and everyone pretty much dismissed that one from the very beginning. The only difference is the gender of the singer but I guess that explains a lot of it

Mrm

Veteran
"I'm loving me" reminds me of Ireland 2013 - Ryan Dolan - "Only love survives" a bit! xlove xheart

Top Bottom